Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drum no move
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Drum no move Reply with quote

Have type 3 brake drum with super beetle shoes on a split bus straight axle conversion (Bus Boys) When I tighten the axle nut, I cannot move the drum. I did take off the shoes to see if they are interfering, then tighten axle nut to 230 foot pounds. Yes the drum rotates. Put shoes back on and the same thing happens again. I put blue dye on shoes edge to see if they are touching drum. No touching. What other thing could it be? Thanks
Booky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum no move Reply with quote

Is the backing metal that the pads on to wide for the drum?
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum no move Reply with quote

Well, if the drum turns with no shoes, your shoes are too wide. What else could it be?
Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Drum no move Reply with quote

storm wrote:
Have type 3 brake drum with super beetle shoes on a split bus straight axle conversion (Bus Boys) When I tighten the axle nut, I cannot move the drum. I did take off the shoes to see if they are interfering, then tighten axle nut to 230 foot pounds. Yes the drum rotates. Put shoes back on and the same thing happens again. I put blue dye on shoes edge to see if they are touching drum. No touching. What other thing could it be? Thanks

You would normally take the super beetle brake cilinder there as it is just slightly bigger, but not the beetle shoes. These should be Type 3.
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Drum no move Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, the super beetle shoes are from a kit I purchased from Vintage V-dubs. This kit is to adapt type 3 brakes to a bus rear. Apparently the shoes do not fit. They are to tall and seem to rub on the Empi type drum. So I did some surgery on the shoes, grind the contact area were it attaches to the brake cylinder and adjustment. But that did not fix it. They are not the right shoes for that drum too wide and tall. I will call Vintage to see if they will send me the correct shoes. I will get back to the Samba when I get some answers.
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Drum no move Reply with quote

Peter - Belgium wrote:
You would normally take the super beetle brake cilinder there as it is just slightly bigger, but not the beetle shoes. These should be Type 3.

Yep, Only the Super Beetle front wheel cylinders and spring/ hold down hardware can be used on type 3 rear.
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum no move Reply with quote

UPDATE: found out that the inner drum’s shout was interfering with the bearing cover and not the shoes. Used machinist blue on bearing cover which transferred the blue color on the inner drum snout. So to have the drum to marry up to the spacer, I used my small grinder to the bearing cover’s opening. Took off couple of mm. All is well. Thanks for everyone that responded.
demo four
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum no move Reply with quote

storm wrote:
UPDATE: found out that the inner drum’s shout was interfering with the bearing cover and not the shoes. Used machinist blue on bearing cover which transferred the blue color on the inner drum snout. So to have the drum to marry up to the spacer, I used my small grinder to the bearing cover’s opening. Took off couple of mm. All is well. Thanks for everyone that responded.

Hay dude, I have a similar issue I think, as I tighten all up at the rear and they were binding and to sure why.

Do you have any pics of what you did, so that I can compare to the set up I have (all done by the PO).

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: