Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Denzel engine
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HENRY'S 51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Denzel engine Reply with quote

Is a Denzel engine correct for a split..???? And how rare are they..???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ninamashr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Denzel is as correct as an Okrasa is in a split. They were oldspeed engines available in a kit form in the 50's. As far as rarity is concerned Okrasa's are like regular VW 1600's when compared to Denzels, so if you found one GET IT! Just last week I drove my vert to a local VW dealer p/u a light bulb for my wife's 2007 beetle and this older VW mechanic, maybe around in his 60's, comes out to admire my car's engine. He told me that he has a Denzel 1500S (?) Shocked engine he is rebuilding to go in his oval. He also mentioned that he used to know Joe Ruiz back in the day in Cali and helped perk his interest of these old engines. He's a really cool guy and he's been into oldspeed VW's since the 1960's. I forgot his name, but, next time I'm there I'm going to try to look him up to see his engine. Ohh yeah he also has a dual distributor with a single drive that he wants to put on his Denzel engine. He said he was walking around some swapmeet in Cali with this dual dizzy in his hand and he had alot people try to buy it off of him. Wink
If you need more information ask Joe Ruiz (Mr. Okrasa)
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been looking for one of those drives for ages. does anyone know what they were off? i was thinking aero engine. +does anyone have a spare?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ptgd1st
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: I know who he is Reply with quote

His name is Jim Shields. He is my father-in-law. He does have the dual distributor he made himself. He grinds his own camshafts on a lathe and bench grinder(.370inches /304 degrees). He rebuilt with some cool mods a Hirth roller bearing crank. He loves to talk about cars so look him up.
Ninamashr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that! I will go by and look him up. I was just not sure as to who to ask for. Thanks again!
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you find a Denzel.................put one of these on it. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

HENRY'S 51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
When you find a Denzel.................put one of these on it. Wink

Got one..!!! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Correct Denzel Oil Filter Reply with quote

This is the correct oil filter for the Denzel engine. While the other will work, they are not correct per Denzel supplied parts in their engine kits. See period era black and white photo showing the same oil filter! Just wanted to clear up any mis-information! Cheers! Mr. Okrasa Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: