Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Relay clicking under dash
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Relay clicking under dash Reply with quote

About 2 hours out into a 2 day trip I started haring an intermittent clicking under the dash - fuse and relay box area. I couldn't make out why or which one while driving, and tried the power windows, lights, etc, but nothing I switched on or off seemed to make a difference.

So I stopped by the side of the road and the clicking stopped, and while kneeling down at the side, peering into the relay box, a fuse blew right in front of my face Shocked

Found it was the 15A brake light fuse. Then worked out that the clicking was from the signal light flasher. Since it is not related to the brake lights, I can't see any connection.

So I stopped at the Can Tire store and bought new fuses to get the stop lights working. Also bought a standard electronic flasher unit to try. But on plugging it in, it clicked at twice the rate of a standard flasher, so took it back and made do with the original.

Oddly, the signal lights worked despite the odd flasher behaviour.

So we continued the trip and the noise would stop for hours and miles, then start up again without any apparent reason. By the time we were on the last miles home it was buzzing almost steadily.

So, my question is Question
would a flasher fail along these lines? I always had them either work completely or not work at all.

why would the brake light fuse blow, while stopped and no one pushing the brake pedal? Hasn't blown again.

Why would a North American relay, capable of handling up to 8 lamps operate at twice the speed of normal?

I'm off to the wreckers to try to find another relay or two to try. Can't afford to experiment with new ones at well over $14 each!

Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raynor Shine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem with my rear wiper relay. Once I hit the switch it wouldn't turn off & would make a clicking sound and wouldnt shut off. I replaced the relay and it finally stopped.
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound like a loose positive wire and then it shorted to ground. The fuse that blew. I would inspect the wire for that circuit. Do the same for the flasher but reall check the ground connection for it.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a cell phone in your pocket or on the dash?

Mine would do that when I had my cell phone on the dash!

Now I leave the cell phone on the passenger side.

Imagine that!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

1 - no cell phones nearby
2 - Haven't checked for earths, or loose wires yet - but the brake lights have continued to work perfectly since replacing the fuse
3 - the signal light flasher worked perfectly all the way to the wreckers this afternoon

As well, anytime the flasher started chattering or clicking, I could still use the signal lights .

So I picked up 3 spare genuine VW flashers ( Hella and Bosch) for $3 each at the wreckers. Next time mine starts chattering I'll do a quick swap and see what happens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange things do happen.

I recall having my wipers stopping, then working. I had worked on some wiring which required "dropping" the fuse panel earlier. And I had also removed/installed the inst. cluster.

I found a washer sitting nicely in the fuse panel. I don't know if it was the culprit, but I *think* it was sliding around reeking havoc. It was likely a washer lost from one of the fasteners for the inst. cluster.

As I said, strange things.....

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Check your lighter.... Reply with quote

If you are talking about your brake light, I have had a similar episode.

I purchased a Bosch light that fits in place of the cigarette lighter socket.

Now the Bosch socket light was too small for the socket and there would be times that a short was introduced and then the fuse was blown.

Problem was, the lead for the cigarette lighter was also connect to the fuse for the brake line feed!

What a stupid and dangerous way to wire the system, grrrrr.

Why VW would put an ancilliary feed on the safety brake line is beyond me.

So an easy way to test is to take anything you have out of the cigarette lighter socket and see if the clicking stops.

Then if that doesn't work, pull off the dash board and trace the wires. I bet that there could also be some wires tapped off of the cigarette power feed for an aftermarket stereo perhaps.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I figured out part of the problem. Someone Embarassed had connected the new power seats to the same fuse as the brake lights. Possibly while I was leaning into the underdash area, I leaned on the seat switch too long, blowing the fuse in my face. Guess my face is red Embarassed

I don't see in the Bentley anywhere where the brake lamps are connected anywhere near the cigarette lighter as keithwwalker said he saw.

But as for the signal flasher - still a puzzle. It hasn't played up again, but when it does I'll be prepared with 3 spares.
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you found the source! I have an old 1.9 doka and it may be different than your wires.
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Relay clicking under dash Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
About 2 hours out into a 2 day trip I started haring an intermittent clicking under the dash - fuse and relay box area. I couldn't make out why or which one while driving, and tried the power windows, lights, etc, but nothing I switched on or off seemed to make a difference.

I was wondering if you found the problem or anyone else did?
I have exactly the same problem with the flasher realy but I didn't find anything wrong about it.
I cleaned some stuff on the fuses and relays board without success.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the problem anymore (from the first post, relay clicking under dash) and thought I should share.
I am not sure if I really got to the bottom of it, but the flasher relay itself was the problem.
I had a spare one (similar, electronic made in China) giving me the same clicking. sound all the time.
I found a older flasher relay from a Toyota, electronic too but older generation and I don't have problem anymore.
I had to modify it since 2 connectors are the opposite of the VW one, but I have it for about 2 weeks and I didn't hear it making problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: