Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Blue Baron wrote:
It's unclear what's going on in this photo, as the buses are in various states of assembly.

Yeah, really. Like what is the guy doing with the front floor section as it wouldn't go in that late.

In the picture before it looks like the guy is holding a gargantuan movie prop size grounded outlet.

In that "picture before" my guess is that the device in his hand might actually be one of those tools that can be swung into position to torque all five lug nuts at the same time? Your guess? But you are right in that it does look like a huge grounded male end of a huge extension cord...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Your guess?

Blue Baron wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not sure if that part of the assembly line has a track that moves those busses sideways but I think the milk-udder thing is a control for the up-up-and-awayyyyy harness that is straddling the bus. Or it could be the down-down-and-land on each work rack before up-up-and-away.

It almost appears there are no beam bolts in yet so maybe that is where they mate the beam to the chassis? But that would seem to be a bass-ackward way of doing it.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:

Trying to figure out what machining is going on with the cylinder heads. Those big fat mills,..,,exhaust ports?

Is it too late to go back and write up the machinist for that’s loose spanner on the mill?
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Trying to figure out what machining is going on with the cylinder heads. Those big fat mills,..,,exhaust ports?

My guess would be the finishing the holes for the push rod tubes.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
Abscate wrote:

I would say the first machine almost out of view is doing the head stud holes, the angled machine is spark plug spot facing and big drills are doing the valve pocket drilling, after that is the spark plug threading or hole drilling and valve pocket finishing to accept the seats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Blue Baron wrote:
It's unclear what's going on in this photo, as the buses are in various states of assembly.

Yeah, really. Like what is the guy doing with the front floor section as it wouldn't go in that late.

Probably a rework station
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Your guess would be very good!

Very Happy

Im sure Im the only one who wants to slip back in time, and pick up a few truckloads of NOS cylinder heads?
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
BarryL wrote:
Blue Baron wrote:

Probably a rework station

I agree. The factory had a station where the "rejects" were sent for repairs after being blackballed by an inspector. Still, it's unclear how a completed bus would need a new cab floor. Maybe it's for one of the shells in the background.

Heinz Nordhoff
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

I think it's unlikely that the floor is being replaced. It's more likely to be a "Hey, this E-brake/shifter/?? doesn't fit right, I think the floor might be defective. Go grab a spare floor panel and let's compare it to the one in the bus."

'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

front floormat perhaps?
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

Looks like Wolfsburg dispatch. Note all the Transporters "in the grey."

Heinz Nordhoff
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

I feel like that Single Cab is not going far since the hubcaps are on and hoops are installed.

Hubcaps were usually dealer-installed and I'm guessing the hoops would not be installed before shipping anywhere either.
Height and opportunity for damage seem problematic.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

Heinz Nordhoff
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

It's weird how that guy has three arms.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

Found in the gallery - Westfalia factory assembly.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:

Was the decklid brakelight plus regular tail lights a European thing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Looks like Wolfsburg dispatch. Note all the Transporters "in the grey."

Top right Panel - Black wheels and color-matched(?) bumper.
I wonder what color / special model that is...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
Blue Baron wrote:

Was the decklid brakelight plus regular tail lights a European thing?

Yes, 55-58 semaphore Bus. Brakelight decklid + single-filament taillights.

These taillights:

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Top right Panel - Black wheels and color-matched(?) bumper.
I wonder what color / special model that is...

I suspect it's in primer, and the wheels aren't painted either aside from the black base coat.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

Does the bottom photo give us a glimpse of the fabled Subhatch installation station?

Look at the second bus from the front in the middle row. Looks to me like its being cut and fitted for a subhatch, and the last bus in the line doesn't have a hatch (yet).

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 19

Jump to: