Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

More postitve wheel offset or narrowed beam
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mototard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: More postitve wheel offset or narrowed beam Reply with quote

I notice that everyone is running narrowed beams to lower and run wider/taller tires. Would using a wheel with more offset do the same? My 67 bug looks like 55mm to 60mm offset would easily clear the shock towers.
I have a set of 16x7 with roughly 57mm (2 1/4")offset. I can set them on the stock drums and they will clear the shock towers and tie rods. Problem is my beam is not installed in the bug yet. (doing pan off) I will be running stock wideth fenders with adjustable beam. I will also be getting rid of the drums for disc drill for 5x100mm. Tires are 190 50 16 which are shorter than the current 155 80 15. Anyone running this much offset on a stock wideth beam?
WVbugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: More positive wheel offset or narowed beam Reply with quote

Narrowed beam if you want to tuck your tires under your fenders. While your tires may barely clear , they'll hit when turning. If you decide to try it , drop your front just an inch or so to level it out and use shocks that will bottom out before your tires hit your fenders.
I measured my tire clearance on my 70 with 195/50r16 on 16x6, 42 mm offset wheels, 2inch narrowed beam and dropped spindles. The extra 15mm offset doesn"t make up for narrowed beam. Be sure your 16 x7 wheels clear when turning , mine rub on the wheel weights when turning {i'm changing to stick on weights on top of my rims}.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mototard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part is rubbing your weights? The 16x7s I have almost rub the shock tower everything else is above the bead on the rim. Guess I'm going to have to mock it up and see that way I can tell how narrow I can go. But as of now the 16x7s have 1/4" between the tire and the shock tower. I already have center stick on weights so that is not a problem. How far away from your shock tower are you? And how far under the outside fender lip is tire? Also do you have any pics of this setup?
RafCarre12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 16x7's in front and 16x8's in back of my type 3. Both wheels have an offset of et53mm with 25mm adapters. The fronts have a little bit of the narrowed look I think...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mototard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sweet square back. Always wanted one.
Franklin's VW Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That offset is pretty high - I'd be really suprised if that just worked out of the box.
You're likely going to have to play with spacers as well as probably get a narrowed beam. What looks right off the car is rarely what works when actually installing. Wink
Like you alluded to, you've got to watch both the clearance inside as well as outside at the fender. Weighted fit is a ton different than unweighted fit.

On MySpace
SBS #24
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: