Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil in rocker cover - should it be any ?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Oil in rocker cover - should it be any ? Reply with quote

I have just repacked a stucked lifter. On opening the rocker cover, there was no oil accumulated inside. The rocker shaft, springs and rockers are oilly though. Is this normal for a WBX engine ?

BTW, thanks to Tencentlife for the info on the CB Performance push rod tube. Thanks also to Boston Bob for the method of bleeding the lifter.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally you get just a little oil loss when removing a valve cover. If your oil is filled to the top notch on the dipstick at the moment it can be quite a bit more, but you should run with the level mid-way between the marks. A lot of these engines just burn off that extra pint and you end up right back where you started, a bit poorer.

If everything is covered in oil then the top-end oiling is probably working normally. If you want to verify there is oil circulation there just leave a valve cover off and have a friend start the motor for you. Oil will be spraying out from between the rockers and that is proof that oil is being pumped out the pushrods to lubricate them. Have your friend ready to shut it off quick if you want to avoid making a mess!

I've never heard of a complete failure to lift oil to the rockers, although some engines with low OP will starve the rockers some at low pressures, such as idling and at low rpms. The load on rockers is still there at any rpm, so that does result in some galling of the rockers and their shafts.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
delta-ed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 86 van is leaking from the cover on the driver side, it drips on the exhaust which makes a lovely burned oil smell everywhere I park.
My mechanic replaced the gasket, but I still get a leak after the engine warms up. This is a rebuilt engine and only has 2000 miles on it.
Any ideas on why this is leaking? I don't remember my other vans ever leaking from there.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta-ed wrote:
My 86 van is leaking from the cover on the driver side, it drips on the exhaust which makes a lovely burned oil smell everywhere I park.
My mechanic replaced the gasket, but I still get a leak after the engine warms up. This is a rebuilt engine and only has 2000 miles on it.
Any ideas on why this is leaking? I don't remember my other vans ever leaking from there.

Check the valve cover for rust pits that have perforated the metal. Strange as it sounds, I've had it happen. And you are in the rust belt. I was successfull cleaning it up and soldering the holes closed.

Otherwise, replace the gasket with a good quality one. Quality does matter with them. And be sure the bail clips tightly.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: