Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lean or Rich?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nevadagold72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Lean or Rich? Reply with quote

Gang,

I have an '85 1.9L westy and I am having problems with initial startup. The first startup after the vehicle has been sitting is great. The engine fires right up and idles. If, however, I try to start driving before about at least 5 minutes of warm up the engine dies and won't start again without pushing down on the gas pedal. My first thought is a problem with the fuel injection? I have also noticed the fuel pump buzzing loudly. A mechanic mentioned to me that the vehicle smelled like it was running rich? Can I adjust the mixture to address this problem? Too lean on startup?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with the Temp II sensor, it controls warm up. I would also adjust your Throttle switch to see if it is working as it should. The fuel pump buzzing can also be a clogged filter or the pre-filter.

http://www.van-cafe.com/vanagon_parts.jsp?pa=p&p=2094893422&pct=500987008&ct=399605673
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And after you do that you may want to investigate rust in the gas tank or at least cut open the old fuel filter and see if there is rust in there. Fuel pumps should not be very noisey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockandsnowjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for you. Will it generally take 15 or so minutes, semingly for the engine to un-flood, for it to fire again after conking out?

Also, does anyone think it could be the fuel pressure regulator, or air flow meter sketching out?

I have a similar problem but it generally doesn't act up once the van's been running hot, as in for an extended period.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevadagold, I had the identical symptoms with my 1.9. Temp. II fixed it right up.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Dogpilot said buzzing usually indicates clogged fuel filter, and then yes, junk in the tank, and while you're looking check you vapor collection tanks ( the plastic ones) under the wheel wells, reach your hand to the top of them and make sure that the rubber seal is not open/cracked.

I kept having the clogging problem and it took forever to figure out where the heck the crap was getting into my tank. Good luck. Todd
nevadagold72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,

I have replaced the pre-filter and main fuel filter and the buzzing is still there. I will look into the temp 2 sensor. It does take a while for the van to "unfloood". I will look at the vapor collection tanks. I did not check the fuel filter when I replaced it for rust.

Air flow meters are no longer available. any ideas on where to get one?

CAN SOMEONE POST A PICTURE OF THE TEMP2 SENSOR IN THE ENGINE?
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry as much about the air flow meter as the fuel pressure regulator. It is more likely cause the engine to flood. I would do the Temp II first, see what happens, the fuel pressure regulator second and see what happens. These tests are specifically of the 2.1L but also apply to the 1.9L.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are your vacuum lines? I have been harping on this recently because I had a similar problem due to a vacuum leak. The vacuum lines are quick and cheap to replace.
nevadagold72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

All,

I replaced the temp 2 sensor last night and the van starts ok but runs VERY rough at about 500 or so RPMs for about 30 seconds and then smooths up and the rpms come up to about normal. Is there some adjustment that would need to be dialed in after the temp 2 sensor is "fixed"?
nevadagold72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Update 2 Reply with quote

Sorry I forgot to mention that my Mass Air Flow Meter is making a horrible crackling racket....
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the racket correspond to the rough running? I would take it off and check it for worn bearings. Then you can lubricate the two bearing points with some Tri-Flow or LPS 2 (not WD40). See if that makes it smoother. Then inspect the rubber boot for cracks. Check the Throttle switch to ensure it does work as it should. Testing for the 85 is a bit different than the 86 up. You may want to open the throttle screw on the throttle body just a half turn to see if it gets better.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
nevadagold72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: MAF Reply with quote

The MAF crackling noise seems to be going all the time even when the idle is good.....

PS As usual you guys are awesome! Thanks for the help. I'll keep you informed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: