Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic guys, check it out
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:52 pm    Post subject: Automatic guys, check it out Reply with quote

New pans, diff covers and governor caps are now being made. Jon and Matt are doing Gods work

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These will be available from FAS. Matt will build a trans with them but not sell them retail (at least for now)

Don't be a cheap fuck and bitch about the price, just be glad someone stepped up for us. I paid 200 bux for a used original pan, so whatever these end up being will be cheap in comparison

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic guys, check it out Reply with quote

Nice! Glad new components are being made!

I've often wondered if new NLA parts inside the automatic could be remade. Things like the long pump input shaft, planetary gears, governor, etc. With today's 3D scanning tools and CAD programs it could probably be done. Just a matter of getting the right metallurgy, hardness, etc. on the components.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic guys, check it out Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
New pans, diff covers and governor caps are now being made.

Dancing

These will be available from FAS. Matt will build a trans with them but not sell them retail (at least for now)...

Oh... Confused
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic guys, check it out Reply with quote

I'm pleased to see this.
Thanks for the heads up.

I've picked up a few items from them over the years, most notably their automatic transmission oil cooler.

I agree, It would be nice to get some NLA automatic transmission internal yparts into production.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic guys, check it out Reply with quote

I'm going to guess, because someone ripped off his oil pan design back when they were selling them individually, that they learned a lesson from that. No honor amongst theives. Really ashame one bad apple would ruin it for everyone else. I totally understand though.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic guys, check it out Reply with quote

Pretty good guess Mark, and can add that’s a helluva painful thing for any creative worker.

Plus I despise thieves, and especially of one’s lifeblood. AI can go straight down about 4,000 miles. Rolling Eyes

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic guys, check it out Reply with quote

one day i hope someone calls our foundry, gets real patterns and core boxes made and then has them no bake ,sand cast in 356.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic guys, check it out Reply with quote

Possibly off-topic or not, I’d love to see someone casting transmission housings.

A comrade in Colorado could if inspired, he’s been casting heads for Packards and Auburns but is decidedly not a V-Dubber.

I think a lot of VW boxes ending up as the shell for race cars, Hewland as one who used them. Someone, somewhere, has to be or at least should be making these.

If you wanted to Outcast, I’d bet a lot of us would chip in on production costs… I know I would.

— Colin Chapman
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic guys, check it out Reply with quote

thats super cool bro! but its seriously expensive, so i understand why it hasnt emerged. also the ability to change small details must be al done before commitiing it to tooling so theres also a development aspect with machining that is better and cheaper to change than a permanent tool would be. our patternmaker can still change or alter a core box or pattern any time too, but most people dont have the stomach for the bills. or the demand i guess. but the customers that do are making great money or else wed all be out of business so i know its possible. take that shifter fiasco for example. the guy was spending like 6 hours on each piece and doing it in a hand mill, then orders blew up and he disappeared. if he had made a tool all he wouldve needed to do was to order castings and then fit them and send them out...for example. anyways cool looking machining going on here and its always cool to see people make parts!
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic guys, check it out Reply with quote

Skills, if I’ve diverted your thread way too far — and pretty sure I have, and also in my talking about manual gearboxes — apologies and please advise.

Maybe Outcast and I could start another one and move our posts over to it.

Outcast, Thanks for that info!

Yeah, one would think that between the rebuilders, the suppliers, us users, and possibly in racing if there’s overlap (I have no idea specific to our gearboxes and think the ones used for racing were used in Beetles, not sure) — but there sure seems a market there.

I suspect the bigger power crowd is going through these boxes at record rates, too. They were never built for that, though if used correctly should be far more manageable than breakable.

Worth thinking about… but as with everything, it’s never as easy as it seems and especially as it should be. I’m in if you are, and my interest is just for the community. I can’t imagine the rebuilders not buying a small minimum of cases, or investing in development with a re-pay option being some cases after production.

Perhaps we’ve reached a point of needing a new, stronger box to accommodate all. I have a ton of friends in racing, and within them is surely a great gearbox guy to take this on.

I know one who was the gearbox guy in IMSA and Indycar, he’d know but has likely retired and back to Ireland.

A best friend’s engineered with Ferrari, Lotus, Williams and others in F1 and LeMans prototypes, and knows a ton of high-enders.

Just food for thought…

— Colin Chapman
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic guys, check it out Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I'm going to guess, because someone ripped off his oil pan design back when they were selling them individually, that they learned a lesson from that. No honor amongst thieves. Really ashame one bad apple would ruin it for everyone else. I totally understand though.

Don't blame them at all. Just a bummer for those out there who have a damaged pan for some reason (road debris, carelessness, etc.) and need to replace just the pan.

E1 wrote:
AI can go straight down about 4,000 miles. Rolling Eyes

So can vendors who lurk in our community groups/forums and proceed to produce information and/or products without giving credit to their respective creators. 🖕
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic guys, check it out Reply with quote

I think I know what you mean, Kamz, but only about 79% sure. Wink

— Colin Chapman
allmotormatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic guys, check it out Reply with quote

I am just hoping on here to clear the air. These pans ARE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE. Again, they are in fact available to purchase if someone you know needs a set or even individual. However, I myself am not going to be doing the retail sales. I am only offering them for my builds. They can however be purchased at FAS in Maine. Just give them a call or I am sure they will be posted on the website for purchase in the next few days. Thanks.
mike boland Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic guys, check it out Reply with quote

Matt Steedle showed them to me in person when last month, when I dropped my 4 Speed Manual off for FAS TDI regearing.

they were NICE!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic guys, check it out Reply with quote

Important part of FAS post on FB- "Very happy to launch another FAS first. Finally a solution to the beat up, bent, leaky, dented, rotted, rusted out un-obtanium Vanagon/T3 and Bay window Automatic transmission pans... Available to ship next week. We will be offering these as individual replacement components or in a kit of 3: ATF Pan, Differential Pan, and Governor Cover. Developed in collaboration with Matt Steedle of Steedle Transmissions these HD Billet upgrades will outlast the life of your van, stop your transmission from marking it's territory, and look super sexy in the process!"
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic guys, check it out Reply with quote

They are on sale on FAS website:

http://www.foreignautosupply.com/parts-accessories/176-hd-billet-aluminum-transmission-pans/

We are offering these as individual replacement components or in a kit of 3: ATF Pan, Differential Pan, and Governor Cover.

$600 for the kit, Contact FAS for Individual Sales

Skills, it could be worthwhile renaming the topic for future searches. Cheers.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic guys, check it out Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
They are on sale on FAS website:

http://www.foreignautosupply.com/parts-accessories/176-hd-billet-aluminum-transmission-pans/

We are offering these as individual replacement components or in a kit of 3: ATF Pan, Differential Pan, and Governor Cover.

$600 for the kit, Contact FAS for Individual Sales

Skills, it could be worthwhile renaming the topic for future searches. Cheers.

FAS may not be cheap, but their stuff is top quality!

I'm running their FAS automatic transmission cooler, it is my second oneI've purchased.
I like the simplicity and lack of hoses to get snagged on stuff.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic guys, check it out Reply with quote

New pans, diff covers and governor caps are now being made. Jon and Matt are doing Gods work

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These will be available from FAS. Matt will build a trans with them but not sell them retail (at least for now)

Don't be a cheap fuck and bitch about the price, just be glad someone stepped up for us. I paid 200 bux for a used original pan, so whatever these end up being will be cheap in comparison

I know what my Christmas presents will be in 2024! Thanks for sharing Skills.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic guys, check it out Reply with quote

Any idea as to whether the automatic pan helps with getting the gasket to seal better than with the stock metal pan? Would the aluminum pan be an any more susceptible (brittle) to rock strikes than the original?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic guys, check it out Reply with quote

They are billet aluminum, they should be stronger and seal better.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: