Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (aka Spring Rubbers)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
K_Clack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject: Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (aka Spring Rubbers) Reply with quote

On my last trip from SoCal to Tucson for the 2024 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo mountain bike race, I loaded my '90 2WD Westy, "Maria," (with GoWesty lift springs and 225/70R16 tires) with 4 of my buddies, our bikes, gear, and all of our food, water, and beer.

We were quite loaded down. A few pics below for fun:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It was a fantastic trip and Maria handled great across the desert. However, my front springs were almost fully compressed and left me with little remaining upward articulation. I took it easy and avoided any large bumps I could. The trip left me wanting the ability to adjust the spring force proportionally to my anticipated gross weight.

My understanding is that spring buffers/spacers are sometimes used in racing applications to give incremental boosts in the overall available spring force with each buffer/spacer applied (10-15% per buffer for a standard vehicle).

Here are a few examples:
https://www.rubbershox.com/collections/universal-coil-spring-buffer-block
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lng-61015?seid=...UrEALw_wcB
https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/SuperS...JGEALw_wcB

I searched the forums and couldn't find any mention of "spring buffers, "spring blocks," or "spring spacers" that were related to the items discussed here. Does anybody here have experience using these on Vanagons or any other vehicle? Is there a reason they have not been discussed in past forums (Barring my oversight)? Is there any reason not to spec them out properly and install them in between the coils as needed?

Cheers 🍻

Last edited by K_Clack on Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:31 am; edited 2 times in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (Adjustable spring force) Reply with quote

I would reach out to Christopher at T3 Technique. I’ve seen pictures of the GW progressive front springs installed and I don’t know how they even work. If you have coils binding the spring rate is too soft and honestly ride height is a by product of spring rate. Buffers will just make the ride harsher than it is. Best to have proper rated springs for you installed.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (Adjustable spring force) Reply with quote

You want air springs, just like on a mtb, so you can adjust the sag fully loaded and get the right amount of travel without blowing through suspension.

The rear is really easy, there are bags that go inside the springs that are easy enough to install. Something like this https://airbagman.com.au/collections/999800312-air...dnr=106711 This is the easiest part and maybe transferring more load to rear is going to be the easiest solution.

The front is going to take some creativity. I don't think anyone makes any off the shelf parts to fit. You're going to need something like this part. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/382942986928 and you'll need to measure the outer diameter of the strut, the inner diameter of the spring, and find something that can fit between the two. There has to be a lot of info on air bag suspension mods for Vanagons, but I don't know it.

Another option is going with GoWesty's Fox Suspension kit. It's the same IFP tech they use in all their shocks, including mtb. I don't need to tell you the difference better suspension makes. https://gowesty.com/products/fox-shock-absorber-set?_pos=1&_sid=2a5a50aec&_ss=r
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (Adjustable spring force) Reply with quote

Your trip looks like loads of fun.
Do it while you can. We used to drive from Seattle to Moab like that.
Great friends, 1000 miles, 15 hours, one shot - pedal to the metal.
Some of the funnest times of our lives.
Moab was a sleepy little town back then.

=============

A coil spring accommodates a specific weight.
There is a 'tolerance' around that specific weight.

A progressive spring tolerates a specific weight, and the "tolerance band" is narrower.
But while the gross weight is within that narrow tolerance band the performance is "higher" (smooth ride).
Compressed beyond that narrow 'tolerance brand' ....
a progressive spring gets much stiffer. This feature can prevent bottoming but the ride is real stiff.

Again.... coil springs are tuned to a "known weight".
Progressive springs are "more tuned", but if the weight goes outside that (tighter) band, the ride gets real harsh, but has better resistance to bottoming.
Got that?
Red it as: "no free lunch".

The only way you can get your van to perform in the conditions you described is to find air shocks.
4G4T mentioned an air shock for the rear.
I don't recall any air shock available for the front of a Vanagon.

Fox Shocks have an adjustable spring perch for the front.
For this case you would load the van with all your favorite 180lb meat-bombs and their gear & food then "adjust ride height"
with screw-collars
....to that meatbomb count.

I predict that you will LOVE your Fox Shocks..... but....
You will only do this 'ride-height adjustoment once.
It's difficult. Never again.
You have to use spring-compressors and you have to fabricate special tools etc.

Anyway the short answer is, you can't spring a Vanagon to (variably) accommodate such a wide range of gross weight.
"Avoiding large bumps" is basically all you can ever do.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (Adjustable spring force) Reply with quote

The front springs in question are not progressive, they are dual-rate. What this means is that as they compress from zero load, they have one rate (which in this case is fairly low) until the closely wound coils bind, then the rate jumps way up (in this case).

This is an extremely hard condition for shocks to handle since the shocks need to be soft enough for the first part of the travel to offer a decent ride quality, but they need to be stiff enough to be able to control the higher spring rate at the same time. The wider the discrepancy between the softer rate and the stiffer rate, the harder it is to tune a shock to handle both scenarios effectively.

Adding spring rubbers will increase the spring rate which will most likely make this condition worse.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
K_Clack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (Adjustable spring rate) Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I like there term "Spring Rubbers" rather than "Spring Buffers/Spacers." Sounds like if you are to add spring rubbers (especially to a dual-rate spring), it should be done so methodically to try to achieve a stiffer more linear spring curve when under load.

Link

Link

Shorter rubbers should first be added to the more tightly wound (softer spring rate) portion of the spring to increase the spring rate of this section (and avoid harsh transitions).
-Perhaps something like this: https://www.rubbershox.com/products/universal-modular-coil-spring-buffer

Next, if the ride height and overall spring rate is still too soft, thicker rubbers (of desired hardness) can be added to the sections of wider-wound (stiffer spring rate) portion of the spring as needed.
Thicker rubbers like these: https://www.rubbershox.com/collections/universal-coil-spring-buffer-block

I really like the idea of air bag-over-strut suspension for the front, but as mentioned, I haven't seen anything available and/or rigorously vetted. I hope not to provide too much dilutive discussion.

This discussion goes back pretty far, but has most recently been discussed in the threads below. MarkWard and Sodo both contributed to these topics. Looks like the second thread from 2020 includes the bags mentioned by 4Gears on a syncro strut modified to a 2wd Vanagon.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9458022&highlight=front#9458022

I do see that X2 Industries claims to offer a "complete bolt-on kit" used to lower the vehicle. The website mentions to contact them for applications designed to lift the vehicle above stock ride height. But again, I've never seen them mentioned anywhere else.
https://www.x2industries.com/product/1980-1992-vol...10567206-2

This thread also mentioned a kit that used to be provided by MyHotVW, but I don't think they exist anymore.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=455089

I also like the idea adjustable spring perches, but I dont't think these exist for 2WD front suspension. @Sodo, I believe only the Syncro front suspension has the adjustable spring perch, correct? Are there any 2WD front shocks that offer an adjustable spring perch?

[Addition]: Sounds like you can install the syncro struts on a 2WD Vanagon. Seems like an excellent option.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5631163
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (Adjustable spring force) Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I would reach out to Christopher at T3 Technique. I’ve seen pictures of the GW progressive front springs installed and I don’t know how they even work. If you have coils binding the spring rate is too soft and honestly ride height is a by product of spring rate. Buffers will just make the ride harsher than it is. Best to have proper rated springs for you installed.

GW progressive is bunch of BS. the lower coils just collapse under the weight of the vehicle.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (Adjustable spring force) Reply with quote

Mateo83 wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

GW progressive is bunch of BS. the lower coils just collapse under the weight of the vehicle.

GW front springs are not progressive, they are dual-rate, which is actually worse (in this case) than progressive.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (aka Spring Rubbers) Reply with quote

Once the coils are binding either metal on metal or with inserted solid buffers, in my opinion that section is no longer a “spring”.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (aka Spring Rubbers) Reply with quote

^^^ Interesting and true.

Does the rubber collapse enough to at least cushion harsh “bottom out” a little? That’s a condition begging for other major wear, in my book.

Great topic though and Thanks for starting it. I could see the value of rubbers if the spring isn’t prone to full compression to start with, i.e., more than enough spring length to fully accommodate the corner weight in worst-case demands.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (aka Spring Rubbers) Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Once the coils are binding either metal on metal or with inserted solid buffers, in my opinion that section is no longer a “spring”.

You're absolutely right. They become a solid block. This then leaves the remaining coils to do the job, albeit at a higher spring rate.

One of the main problems with this approach is that if we assume that the tightly wound coils are all (or nearly all) compressed with the vehicle sitting at ride height, the spring is 10.5" tall at ride height, and the tightly wound section is fully compressed and is 1/3 of the length of the overall installed spring length, you now have only 7" of spring length to dedicate to suspension travel instead of having all 10.5". If you factor in the diameter and number of each coil, you potentially only have a few inches of spring travel before it goes into coil bind.

Let me put it another way. We have a 10.5" long installed spring length. 3.5" of that is dedicated to the completely collapsed coils. This leaves 7" of active coils left to dedicate to spring travel. Therefore, if there are 5.25 active (open) coils left, and the wire diameter is 0.60", this equates to roughly 3.75" of spring travel before all of the coils become coil bound.

Keep in mind that spring travel is different than wheel travel due to the motion ratio of the suspension system. 3.75" of spring travel equates to roughly 6" of wheel travel.

Conversely, if you take a linear spring (not progressive, not dual-rate) and you plug in all of the same numbers, except for 10.5" of active (open) coils instead of 7", you would end up with roughly 6" of spring travel, or 9.6" of potential wheel travel.

All of these numbers are for illustration purposes only and don't necessarily represent any real world product. I'm just making the point that you have less potential spring and wheel travel with a dual-rate spring than you do with a linear spring of the same basic mounting dimensions.

Here's another wildcard to throw into the mix.
Suppose you have a dual-rate spring and all of the softer rate coils are compressed at ride height. When the suspension compresses, all of the spring rate that the shocks and your seat of the pants realize is the stiffer rate. However, as the springs rebound, they generally extend past their resting (ride height) length. This means that the dual rate springs compress at one rate, then extend to a certain point at that same rate, but at some point, they enter the softer rate range. Once they extend as much as allowed by the conditions, they start to compress again. If the full spring extension is in the range of the softer rate, the spring has to travel through that softer rate range before entering the stiffer rate. Can you see how the spring moving in and out of the stiffer and rates can cause inconsistencies in ride quality?

Last edited by Christopher Schimke on Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (aka Spring Rubbers) Reply with quote

^^^ Awesome, Thanks.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (aka Spring Rubbers) Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

Keep in mind that spring travel is different than wheel travel due to the motion ratio of the suspension system. 3.75" of spring travel equates to roughly 6" of wheel travel.

These numbers are for the front only, no? It can't be for the rear spring??

.(I hate inches) Evil or Very Mad Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (aka Spring Rubbers) Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

ALIKA T3 wrote:
These numbers are for the front only, no? It can't be for the rear spring??

Yes, front only.

Quote:
(I hate inches) Evil or Very Mad Laughing

So do I, but I'm forced to waffle between the two, so...you get what you get on any given moment or day.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (aka Spring Rubbers) Reply with quote

Christopher is correct in my experience. I tend to interchange progressive and dual rate when talking about springs that aren’t linear. If we had the space we’d be running dual springs one on top of the other. Baja racers use this setup. For an example. You could run a 6 inch free height 250 pound spring and a 500 pound 6 inch free height spring. Here’s where I need to check my notes. You don’t end up with a 750 pound spring. I recall it’s actually the opposite direction. On the smooth you are riding on the 250 pound spring. As it compresses its rate goes up till the coils bind, now you are on the 500 pound spring. The transition is hardly noticeable. When the suspension unloads, The softer spring helps to absorb the tension of the 500 pound spring releasing,

This conversation comes up often. Tuning ride height is only one part of the equation and is the least informative way to discuss springs and rates. I’m still running our original springs on our 82. They work for us.

Dual rate or progressive. Once the coils bind, you remove the section from the rate. This is not good for consistent handling. As I stated originally, if you desire to go with a different spring, work with Christopher at T3. He has done the homework. One last point. The ideal ride height at rest would have the shock strut at mid point. This gives you the maximum range of compression and rebound. This is not Vanagon specific. This is true of all coil spring suspensions.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (aka Spring Rubbers) Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
For an example. You could run a 6 inch free height 250 pound spring and a 500 pound 6 inch free height spring. Here’s where I need to check my notes. You don’t end up with a 750 pound spring. I recall it’s actually the opposite direction.

Easy to remember if you think of it in terms of mattresses.
Stacked mattresses are softer regardless of the stiffness of each mattress.

Variable rate springs are for vehicles of specific weight.
A race car is a good example of a known and specific weight.

I think those rubber nuts that you jack the van up and twist them into the spring coils might be your best bet.
Simple and doable.

When you are going to load heavy you put them on.
Take them out when you are back to 'normal loading'

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (Adjustable spring force) Reply with quote

Mateo83 wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

GW front springs are not progressive, they are dual-rate, which is actually worse (in this case) than progressive.

I looked at your site are you not selling any coils anymore?
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (aka Spring Rubbers) Reply with quote

I've never had a good experience with dual-rate coils in any application. Single rate applied properly works great.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (aka Spring Rubbers) Reply with quote

We’re soon to buy from T3, and am not even interested in anyone else on suspension bits.

Don’t scare me like that! Laughing

https://t3technique.com/collections/springs-shocks/products/schwenk-2wd-and-syncro-spring-sets

— Colin Chapman
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Coil Spring Buffers/Spacers (aka Spring Rubbers) Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
For an example. You could run a 6 inch free height 250 pound spring and a 500 pound 6 inch free height spring. Here’s where I need to check my notes. You don’t end up with a 750 pound spring. I recall it’s actually the opposite direction.

Correct. If you have a stacked spring set with the spring having a 250 lb/in rate and the lower spring having a 500 lb/in rate, the combined rate would be 166 lb.

MarkWard wrote:
On the smooth you are riding on the 250 pound spring. As it compresses its rate goes up till the coils bind, now you are on the 500 pound spring.

If we are still talking about the stacked, dual rate spring set up mentioned above (250 lb/in rate and 500 lb/in rate), the effective spring rate would be linear until the softer coils compress to the point of being coil bound, at which point the spring rate jumps to the stiffer of the two spring rates. In other words, prior to coil bind of the softer spring, the rate would be 166 lb. Once the softer coil binds, the rate jumps to 500 lbs.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: