Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank? + leak [SOLVED]
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flapjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank? + leak [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I've been the owner of a 1990 2.1L VW Multivan for 6 months. As a college student I've loved my van. It's been a dream and have had no issues until now. Last night I noticed after parking and TURNING THE ENGINE OFF, that I was hearing a gurgling / boiling sound from the back. I opened the license plate cover to find this: Shocked (turn your audio on)

https://imgur.com/a/p9JojEF

From what I understand this could be a problem with the cooling system / a blown head gasket? Crying or Very sad The entire cooling system was re-done about a year ago making me think it's probably okay. The temperature gauge reads fine, I don't have any signs of overheating or coolant loss. If you notice in the video the coolant is gurgling to well above the coolant line. I did notice a weird smell that I was unable to identify.

Any idea what this could be? What else should I take a look at to diagnose the issue? I've got my Bentley manual handy...

I have always appreciated advice from you gurus at The Samba.

Last edited by flapjack on Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:19 pm; edited 4 times in total
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? Reply with quote

What does the other (pressurized) tank look like?

It should be 100% full but I'm guessing it isn't.
flapjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
What does the other (pressurized) tank look like?

It should be 100% full but I'm guessing it isn't.

You're right, it's not. Morning after, the tanks look like the attached photos. Expansion tank is completely dry. Under the van is dry as well. Looks like I need to add coolant, but the bubbling?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? Reply with quote

flapjack wrote:
I've been the owner of a 1990 2.1L VW Multivan for 6 months.... Last night I noticed after parking and TURNING THE ENGINE OFF, that I was hearing a gurgling / boiling sound from the back. I opened the license plate cover ......

From what I understand this could be a problem with the cooling system / a blown head gasket? Crying or Very sad The entire cooling system was re-done about a year ago making me think it's probably okay. The temperature gauge reads fine, I don't have any signs of overheating or coolant loss. .....

Any idea what this could be? What else should I take a look at to diagnose the issue? I've got my Bentley manual handy...

Try "refill tank", "fill tank" or even "blue cap" in search terms. Your video shows the refill tank, not expansion tank, a failing blue cap is often the assumed cause of this issue.

If the issue is being caused by exhaust/compression getting pushed into the coolant system, that may happen only after longer trips, not short ones. btdt with my WBX. Time/miles during a given trip before issue occurs could be a clue.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN

Last edited by Vanagon Nut on Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? Reply with quote

Purge air, fill up and pressure test cap and system. Once pressurized, use a bright light to inspect each coolant hose/pipe/connector and address any leaks.

Stay close to home and monitor closely for a while until you know what's happening.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? Reply with quote

If the blue (Blau) cap on the inner tank passes the suck/blow test (look for that here on TS) then I'd get yourself a test kit from a local car place to see if there are exhaust gases in the coolant. Report back on the suck/blow test. Then do the exhaust gas test. Between the two of those we can help you decide where to tiptoe to through the tulips...
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? Reply with quote

Tickled to see a lack of doom and gloom today, all good advice above, all from good folks here.

Air in system, blue cap can’t hold it after shutdown when pressures and temperature actually rise for a short time.

Fill overflow, fill expansion (large) tank to very top with coolant, order two (always should have one spare minimum) proper blue caps from a proper bus supplier for now or later, return to worry-free times.

Only fill tank when dead-cold. The level might still rise a lose a little coolant, try to use same type coolant that’s in there, or at least the same color. MUST BE phosphate-free.

The blue cap still might be okay but order two more regardless.

We can discuss handy parts and tools to always have later.

Good Luck!

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? Reply with quote

Since you shown your Bus love by naming it , the problem will be minor.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? Reply with quote

Could just be your pressure cap, which screws onto the pressure tank (VW nomenclature "Expansion Tank". The problem is not likely with the overflow tank (VW nomenclature "Refill Tank").

Over heating can come from many sources, bad or wrong thermostat, clogged radiator, loss of coolant (many possibilities here), bad pressure cap, loose water pump belt, failing water pump, lack of an orifice in the circuit for the rear under seat heater, bad cooling fan or fan switch, failed heat exchangers for the engine oil and/or transmission oil.

About the only failure possible with the refill tank are cracks and a clogged fitting in the bottom where the hose connects. The hose can clog as well from all the gunk that accumulates over time.

Even if you are in college and not flush with funds, it's time to begin the process of eliminating all the plastic parts of the cooling system, with the pressure/expansion tank being a good place to start.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? Reply with quote

flapjack wrote:
..... The entire cooling system was re-done about a year ago .... The temperature gauge reads fine, I don't have any signs of overheating or coolant loss. ....

To help eliminate possible causes....

Do you know:

- what cooling system work was done
- how many miles on that work
- why was it done

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? Reply with quote

Everyone should replace their coolant tank with a metal tank. The blue cap is such a stupid failure point to constantly hunt to fix.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? Reply with quote

Dead on correct on blue cap.

I struggle on with plastic, though — mostly because I like to see just what’s going on in there, and there’s been plenty of times I’m glad I could.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Everyone should replace their coolant tank with a metal tank. The blue cap is such a stupid failure point to constantly hunt to fix.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones? In 24 years of owing three vans, my latest one for 18 years, I've never had the plastic coolant tank or blue cap fail. Maybe it's not as bad as everyone thinks. Certainly doesn't seem worth $500 to replace a good part that I've never had a problem with.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? Reply with quote

Mine is the original plastic (40 years old) and I am loath to give up the easy visual check.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

For me, it was that pathetic-design of a level sensor. The O-ring had to be replaced practically every year; if it wasn't, leak ensued.

I've not had a need to constantly check the level of the expansion tank; when I do check it, it's full. Metal tank was a very worthwhile expense for me, but to each their own.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones? In 24 years of owing three vans, my latest one for 18 years, I've never had the plastic coolant tank or blue cap fail. Maybe it's not as bad as everyone thinks. Certainly doesn't seem worth $500 to replace a good part that I've never had a problem with.

OMG, that is equal parts totally unreal and ultra cool!!!

We use about one a year. Hold onto your old one!!!

Question from my Missus: Has it been parked the whole time? Wink Laughing

— Colin Chapman
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? Reply with quote

Since the OP is relatively new to Vanagons and the WBX engine and its cooling system, I thought it would help to point out some of the most common of the many "boiling" causes listed above:

1. Ordinarily, the radiator fan would switch on, even after the engine is shut off, if the coolant was hot enough to cause that "boilover" (for lack of a better word);

2. But there are some reasons that the rad fan might not start as it should. The first possibility is that the area in the radiator that houses the thermo-switch that turns the rad fan on can get gunked up with semi-solid material which insulates the thermo-switch from the heat of the coolant, thus preventing the switch from doing its job. Even in a well-maintained Vanagon, thus can occur within 10 years of a radiator replacement. To check for this cause, with the cooling system cold, simply remove the rad fan switch. Do have something on hand to temporarily plug the fan switch hole to limit coolant loss. You will quickly see if the switch and/or the part of the radiator it lives in is gunked up. If gunked up, then a new radiator is required. Although a crude field "rad flush" can be done to get you home, the "gunking up" in Vanagon radiators is not faxable - - only radiator replacement will do.

3. The rad fan electricals can be quickly checked by connecting the terminals of the rad fan switch connector with a large-gauge piece of copper wire. ( See the Bentley wiring diagram). If the rad fan can be made to run in this way on both its speeds, then no further electrical diagnosis is needed.

4. Even if the rad fan switch is not gunked up, it can fail electrically. You can used a volt-ohm-meter (VOM) to check it in a pot of boiling water, if you suspect it has failed electrically.

5. The high-current fusible link for the rad fan might have failed. See the Bentley manual. However, if that fusible link failed, the most likely cause will be a fan motor that is dying or dead. They don't fail that often in my experience.

6. For whatever reason (sort this later - - don't leave it a mystery) , your coolant system may have excess air in it. In the Vanagon, this can be a serious problem. The system is supposed to bleed itself of air through the expansion tank, but this is not always succesful in a cooling system with some problems. Regardless, at some point in your repair, you are going to have to bleed air out of the system. To do that, raise the rear of the van as high as you can (on a steep slope, or back up onto ramps) so that the expansion tank is the highest point in the cooling system and the coolant at the high (rear) point in the vehicle can force air out of the now-highest point, the radiator bleed valve.

Get access to the bleeder valve on the radiator and bleed the air out. Top up the coolant in the expansion tank as necessary and, once no air is coming out of the radiator bleeder, close that bleed valve. Now you can start the engine and allow the system to come up to operating temperature. Then open the front and rear heaters up to full hot and rev the engine at, say, 2,500 rpm for a minute or two. This forces out any air trapped in the heater cores.

Note that the Vanagon cooling system is very large and very long. This is the reason why it needs a sophisticated (and operating) expansion system and overflow tank. The heat in some pockets inside the engine actally produces small amounts of steam until that steam is again cooled enough to condense back into a liquid water/coolant mix. The expansion tank cap is a critical part in this process. The Vanagon cooling system operates to an extent like a pressure cooker. If the system cannot hold pressure (the maximum pressure, before the pressure tank cap opens and vents, is 15 psi) and the expansion tank cap vents at a lower pressure/temperature (say, 5 psi), then the amount of coolant vented into the overflow tank will exceed the volume of the overflow tank and then spills out of the overflow tank (which is vented to the atmosphere), and you lose coolant.

When the engine and coolant cools, a slight vacuum occurs in the expansion tank which sucks back the coolant in the overflow tank. When all is as designed and functioning properly, the amount left in the overflow tank will be between the "hot" and "cool" lines. That same slight vacuum occurs throughout the cooling system, so any small leaks in the system can allow excess air to be sucked into the system. This is why, even though the system is supposed to be self-bleeding, it often is not - - until you cure all those leaks.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? Reply with quote

I will add that the system has way more plastic in it than just that pressure tank with the Blue or Black cap on it.

The potential for failure with 40 year old plastic subjected to heat and pressure is high.

Almost every plastic part is now available in aluminum or stainless steel.
Yes, every piece is expensive but what is a blown engine worth?
The radiator and the heater core still most often have plastic tanks on them.

I forget the sheer number of hoses in the system but I'm guessing about 20-24 depending...... each hose has two ends with a clamp on each.

Personally, to run an aging cooling system that has an unknown service history is simply asking for trouble, trouble that is almost 100% preventable.

If you have engine internal coolant seal problems, that is a horse of another color altogether.

Just be aware of what you have, even Vanagons with engine transplants have as many pipes and hoses, some even more!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Mine is the original plastic (40 years old) and I am loath to give up the easy visual check.

I totally get that. I really do. I was in the same boat (van). The thing is, once you have a metal tank you stop caring about the visual check because it's fine.

Gowesty has the sight glass in theirs but it's totally unnecessary. https://gowesty.com/products/aluminum-coolant-expansion-tank With the plastic tank you need the visibility because you never know when it's going to break. I like Van cafe's tank because the pipes are interchangeable so when you upgrade to a subaru motor, you don't lose your investment. https://vancafe.com/van-cafe-aluminum-coolant-expansion-tank/
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Ahwahnee wrote:

I totally get that. I really do. I was in the same boat (van). The thing is, once you have a metal tank you stop caring about the visual check because it's fine.

Gowesty has the sight glass in theirs but it's totally unnecessary. https://gowesty.com/products/aluminum-coolant-expansion-tank With the plastic tank you need the visibility because you never know when it's going to break. I like Van cafe's tank because the pipes are interchangeable so when you upgrade to a subaru motor, you don't lose your investment. https://vancafe.com/van-cafe-aluminum-coolant-expansion-tank/

Yea, I'm purty sure that bastard Murphy wrote his laws specifically for me..
I got the gowesty tank just so that I can maintain my sense of security by constantly checking my coolant,, knowing full well from the past, that as long as I check, i'll be fine. The one time I DON'T check,,, WILL be the time that all sorts of hell will be unleashed upon me......
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: