Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Largest Capacity Auxiliary Battery in stock location
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone use this 95amp isolator?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/OSS0/08770.oap?keyword=isolator&pt=N0356&ppt=C0061

they have a 120amp too.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/OSS0/08770.oap?keyword=isolator&pt=N0356&ppt=C0061

they have a 120amp too.

Just noticed, I've been recommending the wrong word! You want a battery separator, not an isolator. Isolators suck away most of a volt, a separator transfers the whole amount. The Surepower 1314 and 1315 separators are what I use all the time. http://www.ase-supply.com/Sure_Power_Battery_Separator_s/154.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
purplepeopleeater wrote:

they have a 120amp too.

Just noticed, I've been recommending the wrong word! You want a battery separator, not an isolator. Isolators suck away most of a volt, a separator transfers the whole amount. The Surepower 1314 and 1315 separators are what I use all the time. http://www.ase-supply.com/Sure_Power_Battery_Separator_s/154.htm

1315 looks like the better one, why would I buy the 1314 over the 1315?
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:

1314 combines one direction, the 1315 both directions. Otherwise identical.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
purplepeopleeater wrote:

1314 combines one direction, the 1315 both directions. Otherwise identical.

Ahh, so I could use the 1315 for jump starting...IE put in a switch and jump start
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that they automatically link the batteries for starting if the main battery was low?
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By combines both ways I meant that when either battery sees a charge it will combine to the other. For instance, the alternator charges both in one direction - now, put an external battery charger on the aux. battery, and the 1315 will then charge both. The 1314 wouldn't do this.

They both do have a switchable combine terminal so that you can add a dash switch and start with the aux. battery if the other is dead. I've used mine a couple times!
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl, Have you put together any "how to's" again on the UB12220 battery setup? with a shopping list?

slurp slurp, I need more juice in my westy.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:
Karl, Have you put together any "how to's" again on the UB12220 battery setup? with a shopping list?

slurp slurp, I need more juice in my westy.

No, I haven't - but there are some threads here that have info. Basically, I line them up and put 1" wide double-side tape between them to make them all one unit. Then fabricate bus bars to connect all positives together, all negatives together. Some use cabling for this, I use aluminum angle. I also thread the holes in the UB brand batteries M6x1.0 so that there's no fiddling with nuts - the bolts screw directly into the battery posts.
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the UB12220 4 battery set-up like discribed above.

Just as a word of note, one of them died and is being replaced by the distributor. I bought it about a year ago. Although disappointed with the battery death, the distributor has been good at the replacement aspect.

So if your battery bank is not holding a charge, separate them, charge them up (or try to), and do a voltage test over several days to flush out the bad one.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
.......so that there's no fiddling with nuts

Geez Karl, take all the fun out of it. Wink
bikesarebetter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Anyone use protection? Reply with quote

I did the 4x UB12220 battery trick on my westy. I used a yandina battery combiner to charge from the alternator. It worked amazing for about a year. They would run my truck fridge for a day and a half. I had ICE! Unfortunately, I wasn't very careful and drained them down to zero. Maybe a dozen times. Then I left them to freeze through a MN winter. They are toast. Ive tried to find a bad cell, but they all seem to be about the same.

Does anyone have low battery voltage protection relay for the load? Its pretty much the same problem as charging. A battery isolator/combiner that switched at 10 volts would do the trick. Could use a relay, but they consume power...

Any thoughts on how to save my next set of batteries? Be more careful?
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need is called a load controller, or a voltage-sensitive relay. I can't point you to a standalone one, shouldn't be too hard to find though. Another choice is to get a solar charge controller with a load-controller built-in, if you ever plan on adding a PV panel this would definitely be the way to go since it integrates these functions, only needs one battery connection, etc. Morningstar, Solar Controllers, many others make these and they are easy to find thru solar dealers, not very expensive generally. These usually have a 10A load capacity, if your fridge and other loads exceed that much total current you can just use the load controller to control a separate relay instead that can handle whatever current you need.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use protection? Reply with quote

bikesarebetter wrote:
Does anyone have low battery voltage protection relay for the load? Its pretty much the same problem as charging. A battery isolator/combiner that switched at 10 volts would do the trick. Could use a relay, but they consume power...

I use the load output on my solar charge controller to drive solid state relays. It kicks power off around 11V. The solid state relays have very low amp draw, so even during days with bad solar they don't deplete the batteries.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3412132#3412132
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to fill in the picture for planning purposes a normal DIN 30A relay's coil pulls about 130mA. If it is being triggered by a load controller then when loads are disconnected at low battery V the relay load goes away as well, so no draw at all.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My three UB's finally bit the dust after about 4 years. I am throwing in the towel on these AGM type batteries. They are expensive, need very specific charging especially after being run down, you have to trickle charge them all the time when your van is parked for more than a week, and in the end they don't last long. So after going through the Odyssey and the UB's I am going back to a flooded lead acid deep cycle marine battery group 24. I took out my rear heater and installed the battery under the rear bench. I was able to fit it lengthwise front to back right next to the propex heater, so I have as much room as before. Put it in a battery box too. This puts the weight more in the center of the van rather than on the kitchen side that is too heavy to begin with, and it is really easy to get at the battery as needed. The space behind/under the driver's seat is perfect for tools and parts, I never did like having the batteries crammed in there. For a little over $80 (and more hours than I really wanted to spend) I am back in camping mode. Sometimes the simple and less expensive way is best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Viva.Sabata
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markz2004 wrote:
I went with the UB12220 4 battery set-up like discribed above.

Just as a word of note, one of them died and is being replaced by the distributor. I bought it about a year ago. Although disappointed with the battery death, the distributor has been good at the replacement aspect.

So if your battery bank is not holding a charge, separate them, charge them up (or try to), and do a voltage test over several days to flush out the bad one.

Same experience here. Except we got a whiff of sulfuric acid effervescence the other day and one battery was hot to the touch whilst driving down the road. We removed it and are running three UB12222s currently. All seems good except it is necessary to use the battery charger between trips. Will install a variable voltage regulator to better AGM charge.
westyzimsgym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Largest Capacity Auxiliary Battery in stock location Reply with quote

does anyone know if you can use a solar panel with a controller to keep the 3-4 battery setup charged. i was reading earlier and people were worried about the wheelchair batteries and different charging or something along those lines. thanks for the help.
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Largest Capacity Auxiliary Battery in stock location Reply with quote

I have 100 watt panel with controller correctly setup for agm battery also have a smart charger that I will plug in from time to time.

going on 4 years old now, working great.

I have truck fridge and propex
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: