Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Keep an eye on your catalytic converter
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

According to this article, the trace elements in cats are worth enough that theft has gone way up.

Article is here:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/police-converters-catalytic-2118431-departments-mcneff

Jeez, I gotta put a lock on EVERYTHING these days. Rolling Eyes

Best,

Lanval
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that sucks, hope they don't steal mine:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like yours DP. I heard the very same thing when getting an estimate for the damage to my westy. A Geico rep said that Toyota trucks are notorious for having their cat stolen for the tiny amount of platinum in them. The thieves will just slide underneath and hacksaw the damn thing right out.

And now having read the article, seems like the real deal.

LoJack for the Cat?
bmwmango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe mounting some rebar around the Cat would encourage would be thieves to move on to easier targets.
1986 BMW K75 Parts (Deer 1, Beemer 0)
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say weld rusty razor blades all over. Used to work for car stereos back in the old days...
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot wrote:
Man, that sucks, hope they don't steal mine:

Nice one...ROFLMAO! Laughing
They are stealing grave markers and plaques from cemetaries up here in PDX. Lived next to a High School and called the police one night when I spotted some Fiends removing all of the bleacher steps made out of the Aluminum...I was on the phone with 911 and advised the responding officers to hold off for a few minutes. The Fiends got 36 of them and had them all stecked and staged...cops were videotaping the whole thing from across the field....GOT 'EM! It was a classic!
Followed up a day later with the officer who gave me his card and it was a simple book and release. WTF? Has all this aluminum and other metal helped build that sweet "BirdsNest Stadium" in Beijing...me thinks maybe!
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about every time I hear about a stolen cat, I ask, "Was it a Toyota truck?" Four out of five times, they are shocked that I knew what kind of car their friend had. Aside from the ground clearance, I suppose Toyota cats are quite accessible.

Sure, you can either weld all sorts of plates/deterrents/grenades under the car….. or bag it, and drop it in the weeds every time you leave it. No one is stealing wheels, cats, or gas from you this way……. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really don't have to worry to much about your $99.00 Vanagon Cat.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:
You really don't have to worry to much about your $99.00 Vanagon Cat.

The people stealing cats aren't terribly concerned with how much they cost to replace. Considering that some places around PDX are offering up to $150 for used cats, I wouldn't be so sure about not needing to worry .. though $40-50 is more typical.

Even at that, five converters @ $40 each = $200. You can buy a *lot* of tweek for $200 .. and looking at the people busted for that kind of thing on the nightly news, tweek is what they're doing it for...
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Converters contain trace amounts of platinum, palladium and rhodium and can be traded in for about $200 a piece, Kerbow said.

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=22916
I'm going to start buying them and selling them for scrap!!
Don't even have to steal them. Laughing
Not all Cat's are the same, but not all theives are very smart so you could get yours stolen.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aparently after market ones are not nearly as valuable.
Tweeks, you got that right. We are rapidly becoming "Tweeker Nation"
Bastards got int my 2nd house and took all the copper plumbing out of it.
we figured it out, but the cops do nothing. Prefect job for a vigilante justice.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derekdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

It is getting near time that some vendor should offer a catalytic converter theft shield for Vanagon. I am not sure we have been hit yet so maybe we are not on the approved list of vehicles to target.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

Any lifted vehicle makes it easy to get under and cut it out.

And battery operated Sawzall only need a few minutes... and its gone.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

My 2002 Acura CL cat was stolen while I was at work last week. Car was parked in front of window of another business next to mine. That car is very low, I assume they used a floor Jack to raise it up. I was impressed by how clean the cuts were. Assholes!

An article in USA Today this morning said Cat theft was 108 stolen per month in 2018 to more then 5000 a month in 2021. F’ing Cat Burglars :fist:

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

Yep a gal across the street from he had her Honda element cat stolen. My gti was right out front behind coverage of foliage.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

Even though a Vanagon cat is so exposed, doubly so for Syncros, I don't really think they'd be a target. Old cats break up or can be in poor condition. Old vehicles have cats replaced with resonators. I just don't think a 30 year old cat is an attractive target. If they're going to do the crime, they want a pay off. Kind of an iffy pay off with an old van.

Is anyone familiar with a Vanagon cat actually being stolen?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

not that i have heard but i wouldn't be surprised.

problem is.... some of these cat thefts will literally total a car. it's a pretty well know fact that aftermarket cats will toss a catalyst efficiency in very short order, if not immediately after install.

aftermarket o2 sensors? a gamble at best and some of these are 4-600.00 alone.

i have a customer who does landscaping and he wanted me to make a shield. after much thought and running this past another group we decided a shield, no matter how 'diesel' you can make it can still be cut.

i ended up making one out of cable in a basket weave kind of idea. if you ever tried to saw thru or even grind cable, you know it's miserable and kind of a pain in the ass. it for sure isn't quick either

i'll see if i have a photo, not sure i took one.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

Interesting to read the comments from 2008 regarding Toyotas. I had to 'rescue' my son and his gf this past winter as they had gone up the side of some remote mountain for an overnight winter camp - surprisingly when they returned to their 4Runner the next morning, they discovered the cat missing and that the thief had also somehow managed to nick a transmission line, spilling fluid all over the ground. That the thief was willing to travel to some remote parking lot on a remote mountainside and crawl around in the snow to get at it demonstrates the level of desperation some will go to. Not long after our experience this story became news:
https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/vancouver-news/...by-3527589

Oddly, I felt no remorse for the thief, but what a crappy way to go.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Ford F-150's seem to be the big target around here. I saw a security camera video of someone stealing one in about 30 seconds. 2 quick cuts and they were out of there. The greasy metal recyclers are 99% of the problem. If they stopped buying 10 cats a day from the same meth head, the thefts would stop. These guys are probably getting $25 for a part the owner will pay $4000 to replace.

I did have a scrapper tell me the Vanagon cat wasn't worth anything more than regular steel. Maybe because it's old and worn? Or maybe because the same rare elements weren't used in the 80's? I'm not sure. But the average thief doesn't have the brain power to think about that. An easy target is all they need, so although I haven't heard of any Vanagons being hit, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
4Gears4Tires wrote:

not that i have heard but i wouldn't be surprised.

problem is.... some of these cat thefts will literally total a car. it's a pretty well know fact that aftermarket cats will toss a catalyst efficiency in very short order, if not immediately after install.

aftermarket o2 sensors? a gamble at best and some of these are 4-600.00 alone.

i have a customer who does landscaping and he wanted me to make a shield. after much thought and running this past another group we decided a shield, no matter how 'diesel' you can make it can still be cut.

i ended up making one out of cable in a basket weave kind of idea. if you ever tried to saw thru or even grind cable, you know it's miserable and kind of a pain in the ass. it for sure isn't quick either

i'll see if i have a photo, not sure i took one.
I made a shield out of heat treatable steel for one of my Nieces, who used to have a 2002 Honda CRV and battled Attempted, and Successful Cat thefts on it. The mobile thieves were all using cordless sawsalls due to grinders taking too long or making too much noise according to Police.
So, heat treating the cage did the trick, as normal blades just didn't begin to bite into the steel after I either hardened it or applied Case Hardening Powder to the mild steel angle iron that bolted it to the body around the exhaust.
I DO wonder about the Vanagon as the cats are 'right out there' in the open on our Vehicles, you don't even have to struggle sliding underneath like on a SUV or Crossover.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: