Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PDX VANAGON/DOKA/WESTFALIA ~Monthly Westravaganza!~
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 169, 170, 171  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWTWTLW wrote:
Just about everything is better here! Smile

Whoa, Oregon's cool, but this is pushing it! Surprised

Best,

Lanval
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in too. Tristar Eric's yard would be cool too or Lucky Lab. Very Happy [/list]

Just a regular guy
guggenheim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a PDX gathering is a great idea, but Lucky Lab has the smallest parking lot. Also, if it's on a weekend the street parking is always full.

Now Mcmenamins Edgefield, that's a place that would be willing to block off a section of parking for a VW crowd to tip back a few cold ones. Or the Mcmenamins on Cornelius Pass would also work.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWTWTLW wrote:

Ever skied Rocky mountain powder? Didn't think so Laughing Wink

But Portland is a super cool city, we lived there for a few years, and Portland has the distinction of having more of my shock kits sent there than any other city by far!

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanval wrote:
GWTWTLW wrote:

Best,

Lanval

Didn't mean to offend anybody. Sorry!
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
GWTWTLW wrote:

Ever skied Rocky mountain powder? Didn't think so Laughing Wink

But Portland is a super cool city, we lived there for a few years, and Portland has the distinction of having more of my shock kits sent there than any other city by far!

One of these winters I'll make it out to CO for some Skiing. We go out every June for Bluegrass. I guess this was a record year for CO, snow wise. We had a pretty record year as well. It was still snowing on Hood in June.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Are you aiming for a Vanagon-only gathering, or can the Bays come out to play also?

There's a decent-ish sized contingent of mostly Bay owners in the PDX area that get together at the Hawthorne Lucky Lab on Monday evenings .. every Monday evening. Attendance is random and fluctuates, and it's not Bay-exclusive -- there's a couple Vanagon folks dropping by, and quite a few people there have (or have had) other VW's .. just worked out that most of the people are Bay owners.

One love...Was thinking of starting small but a long line of VW's travelling anywhere is a beautiful sight to behold, so, lets do it! Westravaganza covers pretty much any Westy or non-Westy. We are strong in the VW area in PDX and I would love to meet all of you.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Replies and intrest Y'all. I am down with the Parking issues at the Lucky Lab. It sucks having to park 5 blocks away! Edgefield is a good venue if it is not too far out for some folks. Tristar Eric has a good idea and a Sunday could work. I have always drooled over his posts and his vehicles and the only thing I can say is that he will likely be a bad/good influence......but that is what it is all about!

Sorry I missed the Monday at Lucky Lab....I have had lots of company.

My work schedule is rotating hell and like some of you others, it will have to work with my schedule, but, even if it does not, this is a positive step in the right direction.

I am off Aug 27th-September 3rd, work 8 hours on the 4th, then off from Sept 5th-8th. Thats a start for me....let me know what works for the rest of you and we can go from there. Good stuff so far....Thanks for all the input.

I was thinking Champoeg park as a close locale, or Flying M Ranch outside of Yamhill Carlton, It just sold private party and I need to look into if they still allow camping, from what I have heard they do, but, I want to make sure. It was only 10.00/night and only 45 minutes outside of PDX. or, Milo McIver State Park.

Any other thoughts?

p.s. Called Edgefield 503 492 2777 and they advised that they do have plenty of parking but cannot reserve a group spot as it is first come first served. Are we thinking about a planning session first? If so, maybe we should take up TRISTAR ERIC on his generous offer to congregate at his place in SW PDX? If we are thinking of an overnight gathering which accomadates as many as can make it and wish to plan future gatherings from there, perhaps we should pick a spot and a date and those who can make it make it and those who cannot can be a part of the next one. Again,
I am off Aug 27th-September 3rd, work 8 hours on the 4th, then off from Sept 5th-8th. Thats a start for me....let me know what works for the rest of you and we can go from there.

Update....Champoeg seems to be very well booked through Sept Oct, however, Flying M Ranch, http://www.flying-m-ranch.com/camping/, seems to be able to accomadate large groups and may be available for us to congregate. Single sites used to be 10.00 a night and now are 17.00/night, but, I am checking into the group rate and will see if they can help us out with a discounted group rate!
It is one of my all time most favorite-ist and closest Westy destinations to PDX and I would love to share it with you all. I have left a message and will update the post with my findings as soon as I get some more info. The only catch is....during the late summer months, due to extreme forest fire danger, often times they do not allow campfires...I find that totally unacceptable and will pursue the best time that we could congregate and have camfire-age. Nothing worse than playing music to coleman lanterns! there is a nice creek for refreshment with crawfish, and swimming if you are so bold, and down the road a bit there is an epic swimming hole for the morning after. I also know of many logging roads up above the Flying M that I usually camp at, but, with a group, I feel that a destination with groups in mind fits the bill the best.

----info and directions off http://www.flying-m-ranch.com
---------------------------------------------------------

NEWBERG: Take Hwy. 240 to Yamhill(approximately 11 miles) and you will come to a 4 way intersection with a blinking red light. Continue strait through the intersection and you will be traveling west on Moores Valley Road. From the light, continue for 1 ½ miles to a fork in the road. Moores Valley will take a big sweeping curve to the left, but you will continue strait ahead onto Oak Ridge Road. Continue on Oak Ridge Road to the top of the hill where the road will fork and change to gravel. Take the left fork and go for 4 miles. Turn left on Flying M Road.

BEAVERTON: Take Hwy. 8 to Forest Grove. Turn left on Hwy 47 to Yamhill. See Directions for Newberg.

PORTLAND: (See Beaverton) or take I-5 to the Tigard/Newberg exit. Go to Newberg and then follow the Newberg directions. Or take Hwy 99 W to Newberg, and then follow the Newberg directions.

Jeffrey
[email protected]
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called Flying M Ranch and there is plenty of camping space over Memorial Day Weekend, Aug 29- Sept 1st.....but, figuring that may be already booked for many of you/us......They also have the following weekend wide open, September 5,6,7. Due to extreme forest fire danger, there are no campfires until probably late September to early October. Camping is 17.00 per vehicle and 4.00 for each additional car if you bring more than one. there is no group rate......Still, not a bad price.

Personally, camping Sans Campfire Shocked is not camping to me....what thinks you all? Music and new friends can definitely help me get over that, or, we could try to schedule it a bit later in say Late September to Early October. If three or four others wanted to make the journey with, I could definitely still be persuaded to go September 5,6,7? Laughing

Maybe we should get together and have a planning session? Or, does anyone else have a suggestion for a destination that allows campfires this time of year?
PM or Email me your thoughts.
[email protected]
Working Sat, Sun and Mon nights.....so PM may be best as I am not to much into checking the home email after a 12 hour shift.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, thanks for the legwork.
Flying M looks like a nice spot indeed.
I vote for the last weekend in September. Prime Indian summer weather and I am free to attend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if I'm lucky, I'll have a van again by then...
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
Great idea, thanks for the legwork.
Flying M looks like a nice spot indeed.
I vote for the last weekend in September. Prime Indian summer weather and I am free to attend.

I work the last weekend in September 27,28,29,30, but, I have the following weekend off..October 3rd-5th. We can do smaller gatherings as well...just wanted to get the ball rolling and meet as many of you all as I can. It is such a great lifestyle and the people make it even better!

Tristar Eric also offered up his front yard for a meet and greet....we could try to get as many of us together for a Sunday BBQ / brainstorm session....I have seen attempts at these types of gatherings get ugly with too many details...Simple, descisive and lets get a move on....thats my philosophy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="carterzest"]
climberjohn wrote:

Tristar Eric also offered up his front yard for a meet and greet....we could try to get as many of us together for a Sunday BBQ / brainstorm session....I have seen attempts at these types of gatherings get ugly with too many details...Simple, descisive and lets get a move on....thats my philosophy!

I agree. Name a reasonable date, time and location to meet and whoever can make it will make it - hash out the details - and then we'll get rolling from there. K.I.S.S. - "Keep It Simple Sambanistas!"
Gorge Runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my WRX running. So now I won't be driving the GMC to the VW gatherings. I'd be happy to go to the Lucky Lab and meet-up with the air-cooled folks that gather there on Monday evenings. We could have all vintages and configurations at one meeting: air-cooled Bay's and Vanagons, WBX Vanagons, normally aspirated Subaru conversions and the turbo Vanagons too. Yes, parking can get crowded, but if 20 us of show up at Eric's place, his street will be just like the Lucky Lab.

Marc
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorge Runner wrote:
Just got my WRX running. So now I won't be driving the GMC to the VW gatherings.

w00t! If I wasn't running to Gresham after work this evening to pick up some aircooled parts from Joseph's stash I'd swing by your place to hear & see the beast.

Yeah, get yer butt to the Lab with that thing on Monday...
Gorge Runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hal,

I'm waiting for some thread sealant to setup at the napa store atmok and Columbia. I pulled to get some oil and found oil squirting though the theads of an oil cooler fitting. I do plan on taking it to the Lucky Lab Monday.

Marc
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorge Runner wrote:
Hey Hal,

I'm waiting for some thread sealant to setup at the napa store atmok and Columbia. I pulled to get some oil and found oil squirting though the theads of an oil cooler fitting. I do plan on taking it to the Lucky Lab Monday.

Marc

I work Monday night, but, do let me know what you guys come up with. I am off Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.....then go back to work, Sat, Sun, Mon, Tuesday....then I am golden for 13 days off. I will make it to the following Monday's gathering...but, if the sun is shining, I might have to roll the 74 Thing with the windshield on the hood, top off and doors off.....That is if I do not get too sunbaked over the next two days!~~~~~~ Embarassed
spaeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be up for this as well. The camping you are talking about sounds very redundant with what the Wet Westies already do. They have a big one coming up at Catherine Creek campground. Info can be found here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/wetwesties/message/37729
They are just what you mentioned, no real rules, just a posting as to where you are going and others show up.

If you want to keep it separate as well that would be fine. I am waiting to get my Syncro DoKa back from the shop. But when it get's back I am in.

I am out by Hood River (across the river in White Salmon). There are some cool places in Hood River if you wanted to do a nice cruise and meet. There is the Double Mountain brew pub. The guy who started it was the Full Sail brew master for 15 years and drives a Syncro DoKa as well. They also have good pizza, brats and salads. We have quite a few vanagons out in this neck of the woods as well.

Craig
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWTWTLW wrote:
Lanval wrote:
GWTWTLW wrote:

Best,

Lanval

Didn't mean to offend anybody. Sorry!

Heh ~ not to worry... long time NW/Oregonian hiding down in Orange County. I don't miss the rain, but Oregon in the summer? In a VW Westy?! With good NW brew?!! I can only dream my friend, only dream.

When we did the SoCal get together, I started by inviting everyone to the UCI campus ~ lots of parking, lots of grass, a free gas BBQ to use. Then we branched out to local beach parks.

We've found that someone can scout a spot, set the date and people will show. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a few, but always good times! Have fun,

Lanval (UofO ~92, Portland State U ~ 03)
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote] Lanval....Heh ~ not to worry... long time NW/Oregonian hiding down in Orange County. I don't miss the rain, but Oregon in the summer? In a VW Westy?! With good NW brew?!! I can only dream my friend, only dream.

When we did the SoCal get together, I started by inviting everyone to the UCI campus ~ lots of parking, lots of grass, a free gas BBQ to use. Then we branched out to local beach parks.

We've found that someone can scout a spot, set the date and people will show. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a few, but always good times! Have fun,

Lanval (UofO ~92, Portland State U ~ 03)[/quote]

Hey Lanval, fellow PSU Alum(1991).

I am a firm believer in the KISS Principal. Scout it out, set a date and whoever shows shows.

Like the University Idea. I am in the process of buying a new house. Sold mine and it had a perfect setup next to a Baseball field/park that would have been quite conducive to planning sessions....now, searching for at least 5 acres with Westytravaganza'a and my 7 Llamas in mind.

It will come, but for now, I just need to get out and meet my fellow Sambanista's. I have a good feeling about this group and I am certain that we will make it happen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 169, 170, 171  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 171

Jump to: