Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PDX VANAGON/DOKA/WESTFALIA ~Monthly Westravaganza!~
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 169, 170, 171  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright guys, I got a thumbs up from the wife for a front yard GTG.

We can do a Sunday afternoon thing. There's room for about 18 - 20 Vanagons, so if you guys decide on a date, let's get a number of attendees.

I'm not opposed to a local park, or whatever either.

There's a great park on Swan Island that is a ghost town on Sundays. It has a great view of the river, tons of parking, and easy access.

Another thought: Waterwerks (car show) is coming soon at the Woodburn drag strip. We could all show up for this...

Eric
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:

We can do a Sunday afternoon thing. There's room for about 18 - 20 Vanagons, so if you guys decide on a date, let's get a number of attendees.

There's a great park on Swan Island that is a ghost town on Sundays. It has a great view of the river, tons of parking, and easy access.

Another thought: Waterwerks (car show) is coming soon at the Woodburn drag strip. We could all show up for this...

Eric

Name the date and time and I'll be there! I want to race you in your STI Tristar! Shocked Embarassed Laughing ...or not.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:

Eric

Nice! I work 0600-1800 next Sat-Tues, but I do get off around 6pm so I could make it a bit later....say, 6:30 pm?

or, off the following weekend all together but that is Labor day........

and the following weekend, I was hoping to go pop the top somewhere.....

Are you in SW? Park on Swan Island is a good idea as well.

Did anyone show at the Lucky Labia last night?

Thanks for clearing it for us with the spousal unit....... Laughing Can't wait to see your Tristar et all in person! Anxious VW Logo
Gorge Runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Swan Island idea. Open space, nice location, still close to PDX.

Marc

Last edited by Gorge Runner on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaeth wrote:
If you want to keep it separate as well that would be fine. I am waiting to get my Syncro DoKa back from the shop. But when it get's back I am in.

I am out by Hood River (across the river in White Salmon). There are some cool places in Hood River if you wanted to do a nice cruise and meet. There is the Double Mountain brew pub. The guy who started it was the Full Sail brew master for 15 years and drives a Syncro DoKa as well. They also have good pizza, brats and salads. We have quite a few vanagons out in this neck of the woods as well.

Craig

Does he have that yellow 16"? I've seen it in the open lot by there, very clean.
Hope the Thing is doing OK after the small burn at Mogfest. Shocked
My Vanagon is in the shop, but the baywindow could be looking for a gathering.
Eric

Just a regular guy
spaeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yellow 16" DoKa is another friend of mine, another Craig. He is the manager at Mountain View Cycles in Hood River. Matt's rig (the Double Mountain guy) is sort of a grey tan color and very nice looking.

The Thing made it home with no problems and seems to be doing well. Some paint discoloration in the engine compartment but not much else.

I like the idea of trying to make a Vanagon presence at the Woodburn show on Sept 7. Some other gathering would be welcome as well.

Craig
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the Sunset Porsche swap meet 9-6. we could always do something right after, or see you Sunday at Woodburn.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redtail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in, but won't be back into town for another couple weeks. The Swan idea sounds pretty key to me.
spaeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could hit the Porsche swap meet on Saturday and then Woodburn on Sunday. I would love to have another all vehicular weekend. I have never been to the Porsche swap meet. If we could get Mark Schoenig with his VR6 DoKa, my DoKa and your TriStar it would be a fun line up, especially if we could add about 10 more vanagons of all types. What is the entry fee for the Porsche swap?

Craig
Gorge Runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We could hit the Porsche swap meet on Saturday and then Woodburn on Sunday.

That's a really good idea, too. Two days, two locations that offers flexibility for time schedules to attend one or both events. For our friends farther south in the valley, Woodburn is a little closer to home. The swap meet is in Beaverton, and full of car enthusiasts.

Marc
redtail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Porsche swap is tomorrow in Beaverton? Anyone have a link to some information?
Gorge Runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not this weekend, but Sept. 6th.

Marc
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:
Don't forget the Sunset Porsche swap meet 9-6. we could always do something right after, or see you Sunday at Woodburn.

If the swap meet is next weekend, Labor Day...totally in, as well as the following weekend. I am liking this Thread so far...lets make it work....Still, may have to roll the Thing......Rolf has been calling me!

I am in for the following weekend, the one after labor day, at the Flying M, or, I was going to make a call to Lost Lake and see if their group site is available that weekend and how much $$ it is. Maybe Gorgerunner could make that call, but, I still have my Visa receipt and it may have a number on it.

Damn, all these Tristar, syncro, suby, porsche's...you are going to get me in trouble! I am still trying to get the wife over justification of having a Thing, Westy and the Family car!

Peace!
Chuck77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:

Now that was funny, took me by surprise... Love to make it to the shindig, no free time. Have fun.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck77 wrote:
carterzest wrote:

Now that was funny, took me by surprise... Love to make it to the shindig, no free time. Have fun.

I wrote that and I just caught that! Honestly, typos rock!
Chuck77, we can do this some time....just keep in touch....we will meet soon!
Chuck77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it might be nice to meet up with some other Vanagon owners to see who is in the community, and to see what they run. I think I will make the time for it after all. I could use an educated opinion to point out some things that I have questions about on Vangina. Vangina is what I named my van because for the first month or so my wife thought I was cheating on her with it...
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:

Chuck77 wrote:
I could use an educated opinion to point out some things that I have questions about on Vangina. Vangina is what I named my van because for the first month or so my wife thought I was cheating on her with it...

Nice one! Now that Is funnier stuff! Keep it up Chuck77!

Made my day!

Last edited by carterzest on Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck77 wrote:
You know, it might be nice to meet up with some other Vanagon owners to see who is in the community, and to see what they run. I think I will make the time for it after all. I could use an educated opinion to point out some things that I have questions about on Vangina. Vangina is what I named my van because for the first month or so my wife thought I was cheating on her with it...

I thought Vangina was the constriction in my chest when I discover the price of an out-of-production part that I really need.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/url] http://lostlakeresort.org/orgcamp.php [url]

Lost Lake Resort....Individual sites 25.00 nite/ no problem after Labor Day Weekend finding groups of individual sites in Loop A.....may not all be together but sites are nice and close, but, not too close!

Looked into Organizational camsites and group rate...could work but parking and Westy camping may be a bit more difficult as large site only accomadates 5 cars...but, the community fire pit is awesome as well as several out buildings for Jam Space....Think we could make it work?
Description(s) Per Night

AREA ONE -This Section contains a log cabin and tent sites. The area will accommodate up to 15 people with parking available for 5 vehicles. $125

AREA TWO - This section contains a six sided, covered dining area and tent sites. The area will accommodate up to 15 people with parking available for 5 vehicles. $75

AREA THREE -This section contains two 3-sided shelters with seating around an outdoor fireplace. The area will accommodate up to 15 people with parking available for 5 vehicles. $75

The Area may be reserved as one unit for $275. per day on weekends and holidays with a maximum of 50 people and 15 vehicles.

This could be an AWESOME Venue! Our own end of the resort for 75-275.00/night depending on participation......The cool thing about the $75.00 sites is that even if there were 3-5 of us, it would be the same difference as individual sites.....we just would have to park closer together in the parking area to crash out......But, music and campfire would be a ways away so that could work!

Then,

[/url] http://horningshideout.com/default.php?view=tour [url]

Horning's Hideout is truly a land of enchantment and has the best camping in the Portland - Washington County area. A land where you will find quiet relaxation in an uncrowded private country getaway. Unlike pulic campgrounds where one sometimes has concerns about ones neighboring campers, our private campground offers real piece of mind and the security that your neighboring campers will not disturb you. Quiet enough that in the morning you may find tracks a few yards off mapping where deer or elk have passed through in the night. Camping is available in this wonderful setting, with either tent of RV sites. Individual Tent camping is $15 a night up to 5 people, RV camping is $20, up to 5 people. Over 5 people or group camping is $4 per person. Webmasters note; I saw my first hummingbird at Horning's Hideout. And just last weekend, I saw my first bald eagle happily making off with one of Horning's big ol' trout.

Can't make the Lucky Labe tonight....But, I am off tomorrow night for 13 days straight. Lets get this thing rollin'

Jeffrey[/url]
Gorge Runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Guys,

We need some feedback on this PDX get-together. Eric, I'm assuming the offer of your front-yard is still valid, but I think that should be a secondary option. If twenty vans show-up it would be a massive imposition on his household. Also, I'm not sure a a camp-out is in order, but rather an initial gathering in a public venue to meet some folks and put some faces and names together. Then we can tell if we want to sleep together Wink

So, I suggest Cathedral Park in St. Johns. Big parking lot, reasonable location, restrooms, free, and close to a brew pub for those who get thirsty after all the socializing.

Since the air-cooled guys meet at the Lucky Lab on Monday's, I suggest Thursday night Sept. 4th, at 6-6:30ish so they could attend too.

How's that?

Marc

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geoc...iwloc=addr
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 169, 170, 171  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 171

Jump to: