Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

water pump replacement + Bentley = stupid question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: water pump replacement + Bentley = stupid question Reply with quote

so I'm looking through the Bentley trying to find info on the waterpump to do the replacement (started weeping the other day) and can't find squat. I have had the Bentley for 4-5 months now and never needed it (knock on wood) until now. I find it somewhat confusing compared to the Haynes. I looked in the cooling section and can't find any info on the waterpump,a couple of pics but that is it. look in the Haynes under waterpump,turn to the page,step by step instructions. how do I find info in the Bentley on the waterpump?
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bently is a reference manual whereas the haynes is a howto. I have replaced about everything on my van and have yet to find the bently helpful. I'm sure if I decided to rebuild the front diff (not) or have electrical gremlins it will be useful but it's got alot of dust on it right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know "how-to", the Bentley's great. Just the facts, ma'am.

If you need a little hand-holding (and who doesn't, in such a cruel world?), get the Haynes, they do a good job.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to find a Haynes for the 86 and up vanagons, does one exist? Have I just not been looking hard enough, certainly possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WhiteTrash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Ben We Trust...

http://www.benplace.com/water_pump.htm
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fairweather wrote:
I haven't been able to find a Haynes for the 86 and up vanagons, does one exist? Have I just not been looking hard enough, certainly possible.
Yep, there is a Haynes for the Waterboxer but it really dwells on non-injected engines and uses a lot of hilarious British terms. When replacing the water pump, for example it says to "offer the pump back to the engine." OFFER?! Could you die or what?

Go to Amazon.com and get one. It's not as complete as Bently but it does give you a good second-opinion.

Anyway, the water pump is easy to replace but very labor-heavy. There's really nothing special to it: Remove everything connected to the pump; remove the pump; replace the pump; re-attach everything. Teh bolts that hold the pump to the engine are not all visible so you have to do some of the job by feel.

One bitch is removing the allen bolts that attach the crossover pipe to the pump. I used allen sockets on an extension to do this part. Make sure you have new gaskets available or at least some gasket material tto cut new gaskets. Be sure and remove the pulley first before you do anything, otherwise you can't get to the rest of the business. I had to clamp a pair of vice-grips on the pulley to keep it from turning while I undid the bolts.

I seem to remember seeing decent how-to somewhere on the net for water-pump replacement. Google it and see what turns up.

If I can replace a water pump, ANYBODY can replace a water pump.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: water pump replacement + Bentley = stupid question Reply with quote

Bruce Wayne wrote:
so I'm looking through the Bentley trying to find info on the waterpump to do the replacement (started weeping the other day) and can't find squat. I have had the Bentley for 4-5 months now and never needed it (knock on wood) until now. I find it somewhat confusing compared to the Haynes. I looked in the cooling section and can't find any info on the waterpump,a couple of pics but that is it. look in the Haynes under waterpump,turn to the page,step by step instructions. how do I find info in the Bentley on the waterpump?

Tom as also a very good page on the subject, it's also for a 1.9L.
http://volksweb.relitech.com/19wpump.htm

Cheers, Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: water pump replacement + Bentley = stupid question Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
Tom as also a very good page on the subject, it's also for a 1.9L.
http://volksweb.relitech.com/19wpump.htm

Cheers, Ben
That's the one I was thinking of! It's great!
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my water pump on my vanagon about two months ago.
I was having alot of trouble getting the crossover pipe to fit up.
To fix this problem i took my bolts and cut the heads off them. And lightly sanded the edge to make studs out of the bolts.
I fitted the four studs i made into the water pump and that made it mucho easier to just slide the pipes on and then thread the nuts on after that.
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the allen bolts out of the water pump, I have successfully used long allen wrenches with a ball end (to allow inserting the wrench on an angle). I love this tool.
Tully Mars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did on my 84 Westy a few months ago. The links here are good. I followed Tom's. The Bensplace one is for a 2.1 which is different.

Some things that I found ... difficult. Here are my tips.

1. Move everything out of the way. It will save you time in the long run.

Power steering Pump.
Alternator.
A/C Compressor and Bracket.

2. The upper crossover tube is a bitch. I was never able to get it fully out. The driver side will not slide by the crankcase pulleys and the bracket attached to the engine. (What is this bracket for? Pulling the engine? ) So, I just slid it as far as could to the passenger side. Cleaned and prepped it there for reinstallation.

3. I was able to hold the water pump pulley with one of those cheapo rubber strap "wrenches" to loosen and then tighten the pully bolts. You know.. the kind that is adjustable to hold something 4 or 5 inches in diameter.
_______
84 Wolfsburg Westfalia
Hobie Cow
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tully Mars wrote:
A/C Compressor and Bracket.

Yes, indeed. I forgot about that. It's a bit of a pill to move but you're dead unless you get this guy out of the way. I didn't have to move the alt or the PS pump, though.

Good point.
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tips, thanks!
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size is the stub hose that goes from the front of the thermostat (when viewed from the top) to the left thermostat?

I believe that the part no. is N901 287 03 and is #17 in the schematic here:
http://www.vanagain.com/19lchc.htm
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1".

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van Cafe sells them. thx

tencentlife wrote:
1".
teletrimble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: gasket help Reply with quote

i am currently assembling all the parts and knowledge for replacing my waterpump without pulling the engine. i have a 2.1 block in an 85 westy, i am pretty sure the cooling system is still a 1.9 system and have bought the waterpump and read the forums and bens site and toms site, i have the bentley and i have used the search. my problem is that i think i need to replace a gasket that goes from the lower water pipe to the engine block. i cant find one from the usual roundup of vendors and am wondering - does it need to be replaced? is there even one there? can i make one? any help would be appreciated

thanks a bunch
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: gasket help Reply with quote

teletrimble wrote:
i am currently assembling all the parts and knowledge for replacing my waterpump without pulling the engine. i have a 2.1 block in an 85 westy, i am pretty sure the cooling system is still a 1.9 system and have bought the waterpump and read the forums and bens site and toms site, i have the bentley and i have used the search. my problem is that i think i need to replace a gasket that goes from the lower water pipe to the engine block. i cant find one from the usual roundup of vendors and am wondering - does it need to be replaced? is there even one there? can i make one? any help would be appreciated

thanks a bunch

I'm replacing the water pump on my '85 with stock 1.9 and have a similar question as above, and I see it was never answered.

I'm following the instructions at Tom's VW pages, along with the advice here. It looks like I'll have to do this project over a period of days as my patience allows. Several setbacks I've had so far include difficulty in getting the a/c compressor out of the way, and getting the stock spring clamps off. On one, there was very little clearance, and on another, I would have had to squeeze it from below where there was no access, so I had to cut it off with my Dremel. Cutting it in one place was not enough- it still held on even though it was not broken in the middle. I had to cut it in a second place.

But here's my real question: I'm not yet to the point where I've got the two pipes off that go from one side of engine to the other (and I'm taking the weekend off to go camping, so I'll do it Monday) but I'm wondering what gasket or sealer to use on these. As I said, I haven't got them off yet, so I can't see what's there, but I'd like to be prepared. The water pump comes with the big o-ring, and two paper gaskets that go on the pump itself, but if I'm removing the other pipes according to Tom's instructions to get the pump off, what do I use to re-seal?

Tom also mentions using a thin RTV sealer on the water pump gaskets, and mentions one, but I've seen quite a few that make a choice confusing. There's gasket material, and then RTV silicone that I'm more familiar with like you might use around the house or on your fishtank. Any recommendations here?

I won't be attacking the rest of this job until next week, but I'd like to have a firm plan of attack and everything ready.

Thanks,
Ed
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Ben's recommended Permatex "The Right Stuff" is the way to go. Forget about keeping your hands clean with this stuff!
Only used it for the gasket between the T-stat housing/pump, pipe flange gaskets, and the small O ring T-stat housing/crossover tube.
You don't want a lot on the gaskets, just a paperthin wipe. Excess can cause grief inside the cooling loop.

For the case/pump O ring I use Curil K2, non-hardening sealer that is one of my personal favourites against leaks, oil or coolant. You shouldn't need any silicone product here. My $.02
camerahunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replaced both the 1.9 and 2.1 water pump. The 1.9 was actually harder to do then the 2.1. A royal pain in the rear end. One thing that help with both is cutting an allen wrench off and using it in a 1/4 inch drive socket/ratchet wrench.

As for the paper gaskets on the cross over pipes, replace them. I lubed mine up with some grease. Not just any grease. It is for underwater cameras, specifically a Nikon Nikonos. Zero leaks from any gasket. Any kind of o-ring grease will do and you can also use some Vaseline. It needs to be a petroleum based grease so it mixes correctly with the rubber ring.

The pumps do not come with the cross over gaskets. I got mine from Van Cafe.

Thank you,

David
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: