Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper gremlin strikes again!
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElectricGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Wiper gremlin strikes again! Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to the forums and new to Ghia's so please indulge my ignorance.

I've read some of the posts regarding wiper motors before posting but couldn't find the answers, so here it goes!

The question in:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=311568
Which was resolved by: take everything apart and clean it. Which makes lots of sense and falls in line with the work I've had to do with the rest of the electrical in my 'new' '72 coupe so far. See Q2 below. But before I start ripping things apart...

When I purchased the car a few weeks ago, I knew there were issues with the wipers. No big deal, I thought, until I took it out to the DMV and they failed the inter-province vehicle registration inspection (Alberta to Quebec, Canada) because, amongst other things, the wipers didn't work in low and they didn't park themselves in off.

So a few days ago, I went out with the trusty multi-meter and poked around to see what was up.

As I mentioned, the wipers only work on HIGH. Not in LOW and they do not park when switched OFF. I have come to believe these two problems are related, but would need some of you guru's to confirm it.

The wiring:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From my multi-meter work, and referring to the Robert Bentley manual, I have concluded the following:

53-Black - 12V in for LOW
53e-Green - 12V out when in non-parked position
53b-Black/Yellow - 12V in for HIGH
53a-Black/Grey - 12V in (to feed Green based on cam position)
31-Brown - Ground, sees all the current returned to batt via chassis in either HIGH or LOW.

What I have not confirmed but believe is the case...

The steering mounted wiper switch will have the following:
53a-Black/Grey - to input of LOW and HIGH switch positions which will output to 53-Black or 53b-Black/Yellow respectively
53e-Green - to input of the OFF switch which will output to the 53-Black - to drive the motor on LOW when the input from green is 12V because the wipers are not parked (cam out of position).

In my case, there is no 12V provided to 53-Black in either LOW or OFF-not-in-parked-position. If I just put the system in HIGH and use the 53b-Black/Yellow from the switch and plug it into the 53-Black to the motor, the motor runs in LOW. I do not suspect the motor at this time. I suspect a wiring fault (corroded contact or wire break) between the LOW and OFF outputs of the steering column wiper switch and the 53-Black contact in the T4 connector (input to the motor for LOW).

So here it comes:
Q1/ Is the above correct?
Q2/ What size socket do I need to remove the steering wheel to check the switch wiring?

Thanks,

-Nick Drouin
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
electricghia.blogspot.com
execk2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nick check out Rob and Daves, a great resource as well.

http://www.vw-resource.com/wipers.html#motor

www.mikeandjosee.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ElectricGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as not to keep the answers to myself:

Quote:

Q1/ Is the above correct?

Yes, I can confirm that the explanation I gave above is correct.

Quote:

Q2/ What size socket do I need to remove the steering wheel to check the switch wiring?

27mm for the 1972 coupe.

I was able to remove the steerning wheel and column mounted switches; clean the contacts for the lot; reinstall; and presto! Everything works again.

I found out, as I tried to remove the switches, that there is another connector just under the steering wheel column where the wiring connects to the switches (not indicated in wiring diagrams).
If I had known this (had I opened my eyes and looked carefully! ) I would have been able to check if the contacts in the switches worked before disassembling the wheel. As it stands, I don't know if the dirty connection was in the switch, or in the connector under the steerning column... live an learn!

-Nick
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: