Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Atwood Furnace
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Atwood Furnace Reply with quote

I was just looking at the Atwood and Surburban furnaces today.

I wonder how the noise level is on them?

I just can't wrap my head around the reality of paying almost $1,000 for a Propex or similar unit considering the amount it will be used.

I also distain the smell and moisture from using a little buddy or similar heater so that is pushing me towards a furnace.

We rarely sleep with much heat supplied, even at home in the dead of Winter we'll have a window cracked open.

Just having thoughts..........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Atwood Furnace Reply with quote

new they're fairly quiet.. but each person has their own level of tolerance.
me I run fan while I sleep 365 for the white noise..
other's will wake up if a lady bug farts.

you will become surprised how much you will use the heat.. it's nice even while sitting in the doorway enjoying a fall afternoon..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Atwood Furnace Reply with quote

Hi Dave, I think the best overall heater I have had so far was the Atwood Hyrdroflame. I haven't owned a Propex yet, but people who had 6K BTU propexes seemed impressed by the amount of heat mine put out.

I noticed they have upgraded the hydro flame line up. Around $450-500 online. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/272346707370?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

The new model is slightly taller and narrower than the old hydro flame series so it probably fits into that little cabinet better. It was just a little tight working around the 120 Volt outlet.

The best thing about these heaters is they are simple and reliable. Installing them in the cubby hole cabinet next to the fridge works awesome aside from giving up that handy compartment.

HTH,
Dave
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Atwood Furnace Reply with quote

Dave,

Doesn't that model still have the disadvantage of being long, 20" and so will project out from the cupboard install you describe?

Dimensions etc here

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/assets/images/atw...rnaces.pdf

If it wasn't for that I would have bought one for that location. As it turned out I was lucky to find a used propex in wreckers yard and put that between front seats.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Atwood Furnace Reply with quote

I would not want to give up an inch of interior storage if I didn't absolutely have to. I would pay the extra money for the externally mounted Propex for this reason.

I am considering, however, a 6 gallon hot water tank/heater that will occupy the small cubby storage space....there aren't any other viable,options for this type of electric/coolant heat exchanger system. So, I guess this is why I would opt for,the external Propex. Either way, we will both be warm in our vans! Cool

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Atwood Furnace Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
Dave,

Doesn't that model still have the disadvantage of being long, 20" and so will project out from the cupboard install you describe? Alistair

Here was my install of the hydroflame. The sheet metal frame in back could be trimmed a bit as shown in someone's thread. It still needed a spacer but it worked fine and looked decent I think.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The new heater has a different fan that is supposed to be quieter and is lower draw (down from 3.4 to 2.4 and cycling so less actual draw than that). Anyway, I looked at some of pictures of the unit and it looks like the box can also be trimmed, maybe even more than the prior model with the large squirrel cage fan. I'm interested to see pics of the first (guinea pig) install but a quick look says to me it will fit at least as well.

VWinVT wrote:
I would not want to give up an inch of interior storage if I didn't absolutely have to. I would pay the extra money for the externally mounted Propex for this reason.

I hear that and for some people that is a deciding factor. I found having the heater there worked out great for several reasons and I quickly got over cutting into the cabinet and adjusted to not having that space. Only reason I mention it, it is hard to know in advance what you are going to like or dislike until you have installed it. For example, you may consider reliability when you are trying to decide, but when you have a heater, it is the absolute tops on your list. So is having an aux LP tank or fitting so you don't run out. And people don't really have a good gauge on what is the right amount of heat output until you are using it. Just saying, YMMV.
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Atwood Furnace Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I just can't wrap my head around the reality of paying almost $1,000 for a Propex or similar unit considering the amount it will be used.

I also distain the smell and moisture from using a little buddy or similar heater so that is pushing me towards a furnace.

We rarely sleep with much heat supplied, even at home in the dead of Winter we'll have a window cracked open.

Dave

I am going to be getting a propex. I know there are other great options like the atwood or gas/diesel furnaces to. I like the form factor of the propex and it seems to be well tested in our vans. I hear little in the way of problems.

I am with you though. It is pricey. I also won’t sleep with it on. Though it would be nice to have it getting ready for bed and when I get up. I do like that it would tend to dry the air also. That is double bonus.
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Atwood Furnace Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
Hi Dave, I think the best overall heater I have had so far was the Atwood Hyrdroflame. I haven't owned a Propex yet, but people who had 6K BTU propexes seemed impressed by the amount of heat mine put out.

I noticed they have upgraded the hydro flame line up. Around $450-500 online. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/272346707370?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

The new model is slightly taller and narrower than the old hydro flame series so it probably fits into that little cabinet better. It was just a little tight working around the 120 Volt outlet.

The best thing about these heaters is they are simple and reliable. Installing them in the cubby hole cabinet next to the fridge works awesome aside from giving up that handy compartment.

HTH,
Dave

True but with the propex you are giving up space too, normally under the seat which I use a lot. The little cubby normally gets canned food or something but I would almost rather loose that space. Since I am running a second LP tank the under-seat routing with the propex is nice.

That atwood looks darn slick though.
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Atwood Furnace Reply with quote

[quote="Stephenmarklay"]
djkeev wrote:

Dave

I am going to be getting a propex. I know there are other great options like the atwood or gas/diesel furnaces to. I like the form factor of the propex and it seems to be well tested in our vans. I hear little in the way of problems. It also draws less current than the Atwood which is a plus.

I am with you though. It is pricey. I also won’t sleep with it on. Though it would be nice to have it getting ready for bed and when I get up. I do like that it would tend to dry the air also. That is double bonus.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Atwood Furnace Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

I have installed and used both. The Atwood uses a bit more power and space. I believe it has slightly more BTU. You can adjust the cycling temps (low and high threshold) on an atwood, not on propex. Have to cut another hole in the side of the van with the Atwood, two small holes underneath for the propex.. My personal van has the Propex in the same cabinet that the Atwood is shown. Out of site, out of mind. Instant heat when bringing the kids to school on a cold morning. We love it.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Atwood Furnace Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

Ok Dave, here is another angle for you to look into:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eccotemp-1-5-GPM-Portab...574393-_-N

Mount that somewhere on the outside, maybe a swingaway off the rear bumper. Can hook this baby up to a radiant floor, pump hot water through to taste. Put some thought into it, 37,000 BTU is pretty serious. Im betting that you'd find it quiet. Maybe a little blower somewhere to warm things up quick, but mostly just Pex under Pergo. Obviously, use antifreeze.

Edit: Use Wirsbo, not Pex.. I was mis-remembering the stuff I got at the heating/plumbing shop for my DIY in home water heat setup. I don't know if the square footage of the main floor would be enough btu of radiant emission tho. Might take higher temp than that little mini on-demand heater can put out (90F) but maybe that can be adjusted higher. Also have to figure out a cowling for that little heater, I don't think its meant to get rained into. There is a little bigger one that you could also use a heat exchange plate with, provide heat loop for interior heating AND hot water for shower. I'd go with quick connectors if possible for getting unit out of the way when its warm out.
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Atwood Furnace Reply with quote

Funny thing thing: I started this thread in 2008! When I got back into my van I could not remember my username etc so I guess I have two accounts Smile
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Atwood Furnace Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

I would have thought with the post Brexit pound to dollar conversion that the propex prices would have come down. They are available in the UK for about $500. Shipping has to be calculated in but...
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Atwood Furnace Reply with quote

here's my install.fan noise doesn't bother me and works great.thermostat above closet door,so easy to reach.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Atwood Furnace Reply with quote

Here is a good deal on these heaters. Limited quantity but if you were looking for an excuse to spend some money, this is almost $200 off.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atwood-AFSAD12-RV-Caravan-...mp;vxp=mtr

Only $329 shipped vs. about $500 normally. They are new but missing the grill. You could probably use something from Home Depot or buy just the cover from Atwood.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Atwood Furnace Reply with quote

I'm currently looking at adding a heater to the van. We've been using a Mr Buddy heater - but that won't work if it's too high an altitude or too cold.

Any feedback on whether these Atwood ones work OK at 8-9,000 ft?
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Atwood Furnace Reply with quote

Mine worked fine at high elevation. I think they are simpler and more reliable than the other options. They seem to be less fussy. I got one after I moved to Colorado because the Buddy heater I was using would not work in the parking lots of Ski Areas. The low oxygen shutoffs would trigger.
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Atwood Furnace Reply with quote

fxr wrote:

Any feedback on whether these Atwood ones work OK at 8-9,000 ft?

I use mine in Telluride (9K) every year. It works great.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Atwood Furnace Reply with quote

they'll work fine at elevations, but I would suggest that if you are going to rely (with your comfort/life) on one, you should install a 2nd propane tank and switching valves/regulator.

either find a good used westy take off to R&R
or buy a new larger propane tank from one of the vendors.
or rig it to use a 20# bottle when parked/camped.

the atwoods are about 72% efficient vs the propex at about 92% efficient.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Atwood Furnace Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
they'll work fine at elevations, but I would suggest that if you are going to rely (with your comfort/life) on one, you should install a 2nd propane tank and switching valves/regulator.

For sure with one of these you want to have an auxillary fitting or second tank. But once you have that setup, who cares about a few bucks worth of propane for the number of times you are going to winter camp. In the spring and fall, the regular tank is sufficient for a few hours here and there.

What I did was add a tee and a quick disconnect fitting into the the copper lines (with connection outside the van) so I could use a 1 gallon or 5 gallon portable tank.

Last edited by davevickery on Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: