Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GW 2wd lift springs with an Auto Trans CV question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: GW 2wd lift springs with an Auto Trans CV question Reply with quote

For those that have installed GW lift springs with an auto trans did you have to replace your CV's as GW has suggested because of the angle with the shorter axle? If so, did you go with the 930's or 944's?
Thanks!

Quote:
Note for Automatic Transmissions: When fitting GoWesty lifting springs to a Vanagon with automatic transmission, you should be prepared to replace your axles with our larger, heavy duty axles that are fitted with Porsche 930 Turbo CV joints. This is because there is a chance you will have a problem with the left side drive axle due to the fact it is shorter than the right one (and even shorter than both left and right on manual transaxle Vanagons). This very short AT-only left axle subjects the CV joints to a more severe angle. We have sold many sets of these springs for use on Vanagon with AT without complaint. But if your particular Vanagon happens to sit a bit higher, or the transaxle sits a little further to the left than average, or your shock absorber allows a little more down travel than the original ones—or a combination of all three—you might have an issue. The 930 CVs are capable of a greater angles and will solve the problem.
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: GW 2wd lift springs with an Auto Trans CV question Reply with quote

It probably depends on the condition of your CVs and your final ride height, but I will say when I put the zero lift springs in the rear with a spacer, which brought me up to 17 3/4 inch, my CVs immediately started clacking. I went to the 944 CVs and all seems well for the last 5 to 7000 miles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nesurfer99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: GW 2wd lift springs with an Auto Trans CV question Reply with quote

I have the GW lift springs on my 89 tintop 2WD automatic trans and I have 16" wheels.

I made it about 20k miles on the original CVs after installing the springs.

I got about 9k out of replacements half-shafts (from FLAPS).

I just installed GW EMPI half shafts and am hoping to make it from AZ back to FL early next month. Then I will rebuild my originals probably with 930s. Note that GW does not list the 930 CV as a separately orderable part, only as part of their 930 axle kit. When I sent them an email on this, they said they do sell them separately. Burley lists the 930 CVs on his website.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: GW 2wd lift springs with an Auto Trans CV question Reply with quote

I just had to replace a drivers side CV this year in my van. Can't say how many miles are on it but the shop did say it was because the van sits high. I'm at 17"-17.5" in the rear.
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: GW 2wd lift springs with an Auto Trans CV question Reply with quote

Good to know you can get the 930 cv's separately from GW. I recall seeing them on Burley's site now that you mention it.
I've actually been looking at the 944 cv's. Van Café sells them as does Amazon with free shipping Smile
From what I understand 944 cv's bolt right up with no issues. 930's need the stub axles and flanges replaced in addition to the axle shaft and cv's.

What I'm unclear of with 944's is should you:
-Replace/swap all 4 cv's (with new 944 cv's) on 2 used OEM axle shafts
or
-Install new complete 944 axles and not have to swap the cv's (preferred method)

I think in a manual 2wd and Syncro the 944 axles are the correct length, I haven't found where that's the case with an auto trans. Wondering if the auto 944 axles are also compatible?

Red Beard,
Curious what you did, if yours is an auto, since you're running 944's. It's interesting that they started making noise with the zero lifts!

Thanks for all the input so far.
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: GW 2wd lift springs with an Auto Trans CV question Reply with quote

Just to be clear, installing springs lead to my stock cvs clacking.

I Installed the 944cvs on my OEM shafts. Most sources suggest keeping the oem shafts if possible, better quality than most the aftermarket options.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: GW 2wd lift springs with an Auto Trans CV question Reply with quote

Thanks Red Beard, I’m just surprised that they started clacking with the zero lifts. I guess your old springs were pretty worn out? I’ll probably just wait and see what happens with the lift springs before swapping out my cv’s. If required, I’ll go with 944 cv’s on stock shafts unless someone can confirm 944 auto trans axles fit.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: GW 2wd lift springs with an Auto Trans CV question Reply with quote

Van Cafe sells 944 cv joints for $225.
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: GW 2wd lift springs with an Auto Trans CV question Reply with quote

Actually the assembled axle is $225 (manual trans only).
The 4 joint kit is $265 which is what I'll go with if necessary.
RambleVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: GW 2wd lift springs with an Auto Trans CV question Reply with quote

Lifted with an auto trans. Everything was fine for a few months but then the cv's started clacking while we were on a camping trip. At first it was just on tight curves and steep grades but by the end of the trip just about any hill would cause them to make some noise. Replaced with 944's on original axles and Rockford boots. Purchased from T3 Technique.
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: GW 2wd lift springs with an Auto Trans CV question Reply with quote

Thanks for the real world feedback Ramblevan. What shocks are you running?
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: GW 2wd lift springs with an Auto Trans CV question Reply with quote

I've got the lift springs with an auto trans and haven't had any problems yet with the CVs going bad (knock on wood). That's with a lot of rough road and mountain driving.
Currently I run EMPI CVs. After putting the springs on I drove another 22k on them before replacing them, not because they were bad, but just as a precaution before heading to South America. I've put 6k on my newer ones and haven't had problems yet.

Everyone's mileage varies though, especially when it comes to EMPI CVs.
hozbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: GW 2wd lift springs with an Auto Trans CV question Reply with quote

blackglasspirate wrote:
I've got the lift springs with an auto trans and haven't had any problems yet with the CVs going bad (knock on wood). That's with a lot of rough road and mountain driving.
Currently I run EMPI CVs. After putting the springs on I drove another 22k on them before replacing them, not because they were bad, but just as a precaution before heading to South America. I've put 6k on my newer ones and haven't had problems yet.

Everyone's mileage varies though, especially when it comes to EMPI CVs.

x2

Within a few hundred miles after installing zero lifts last fall my CV's began to clack on turns. Those lasted about 8 yrs without any issues. Most likely as a result from the increased lift (old measurements from the tired factory springs were around 16" and after installing new zero's,rear spacers and Bilstein extra heavy duty shocks it still measures 17.5" all around). Replaced with new EMPI CV axles all around after the clacking started and so far no issues after driving a shade over 8k miles since (good mix of driving 70/30 hwy and off-road through rutty FS roads and such). No complaints with the EMPI's so far just like blackglasspirate's review.

91 Westy 2wd Camper 2.1wbx Auto
RambleVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: GW 2wd lift springs with an Auto Trans CV question Reply with quote

Herr Motorspiele wrote:
Thanks for the real world feedback Ramblevan. What shocks are you running?

Bilstein xhd from GoWesty

I'm also running Burley upper control arms and polyurethane steering rack bushings. Both made for noticeable improvements in the ride and handling. It's no 4x4 but with the lift we can take on the rutted out dirt roads where we like to camp.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: