Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window Crank Modification
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Window Crank Modification Reply with quote

The PO of my '70 bug installed speakers within the radius of the window cranks. The cranks rub if the grilles are on the speakers and it looks crude without the grilles. If the crank were spaced about 1/4" more away from the door panel it would clear fine.

Does anyone know of an alternate source for a window crank that has more offset (arm farther away from the door panel)? Cranks from a Volvo 240 bolt-on but they aren't any farther away from the panel, plus they have a little less lever-arm and require more applied force to move the stubborn windows.

I searched and saw nothing on this. One possibility would be to make an extension/adapter for the shaft, but it would be a lot easier to just substitute a crank that fits.
DAW
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember somebody selling shorter cranks a few years ago. I'll try to look through some old mags.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the info; but a shorter crank won't help because it would have to be about 2'' long to clear the speaker grille (and wouldn't provide enough leverage to crank up these old windows).

The crank has to be offset inboard more than the stock VW crank is in order to clear the speaker and still be long enough to be do the cranking.
DAW
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, sounds like the PO is guilty of extremly poor planning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustybutterknife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3678&search_phrase=window%20spacer&start=60

I used two of these kits (one kit per door) and stacked them (had to also find longer screws)... it worked. If the inside pannel is already cut and in otherwise good shape I would think this route would be acceptable.
*edit*-I don't remember paying that much for them though.

Last edited by rustybutterknife on Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest way would be just buying new door panels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blacktruck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a crap shoot but maybe get a spare handle and see if you can heat it and bend it-
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: