Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many hours on the road?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Longest road trip
1-10 hours
17%
 17%  [ 13 ]
10-15 hours
17%
 17%  [ 13 ]
15-25
24%
 24%  [ 18 ]
25+
41%
 41%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 75

Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: How many hours on the road? Reply with quote

In the past two years i've taken quite a few road trips.
The longest of them was to Baja California. We took our time getting there but coming back i was ready to get home.
From halfway up Baja California to Dallas texas took 41 hours.
Only stopping for fast food and gas.

Next to that me and my wife drove from Guadalajara to Little Rock Arkansas in 32 hours last year.
Good Times....
TWD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helena, Montana to Fairbanks, Alaska in the winter. I left after work on Friday evening and arrived in Fairbanks at about 2:00 or 3:00a on Sunday night/Monday morning. The only stops were for fuel and to sleep in the car a few times for an hour or two until the cold woke me up.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built my 1600 dp, loaded up all that I could fit on or in my 62 beetle and drove it over 1100 miles one way when I relocated myself from Oklahoma to Michigan. I only stopped for gas..never ate, never slept...I got 34 mpg with a roof rack loaded with guitar amps and other boxes of crap. The engine didnt even have over 100 miles on it when I started the trip. All I had to do to it was tighten the fan belt and add just a touch of oil...ran perfect. This was back in 2000...engine still runs perfect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I did this last fall. Ran about 14 hours a few days.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick up truck, 3 people, only two drivers. Aspen to Brooklyn NY, about 1800 miles in 32 hrs for a party. The two other guys drove off to Vt- I stayed in NYC for a day (there was this girl at the party...) and flew to Vt to help load the cabinet shop and wood into the pick up with trailer. Pulled the front passenger seat out of a beater SAAB to load more hardwood. 4 of us drove from outside Burlington back to Aspen, about 2100 miles in 38 hrs, taking turns driving the beater.

Spent many hours after I lost the pick up in Kansas doing a classic 'if johnny is driving a truck doing 60 mph that gets about 400 miles to a tankfull and jimmy a clapped out beater pos doing 70 mph at ? miles to the gallon, where will both vehicles need a gas stop at the same time?

I figured it would be in Vail. It was- they were pulling out as I wheeled in, steam spewing from the radiator, car running like shit from the change in altitude.
willieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colorado springs to orlando fl. 5 days driving 18 hrs some days. can I count a road trip in 1979 from new hampshire to california that lasted about 6 months.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me and jDOT usually roll from philly down to tampa for bulli brigade. it's 1250 miles each way. anywhere from 24-36 hours. average is about 28 hours of driving.

my longest trip was from philadelphia for gros morne, newfoundland and back is a 63 bus.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wichita Falls, TX to Vegas. Over 1100 miles, and took something like 22 hours in a giant U-Haul box truck carrying a 20AE GTI on a trailer being followed by a Galant. That was over the course of 2 days though. Longest single trip was Wichita Falls to Decatur, IL. Usually 12 hours, but I managed to pull it off in 16 hours once. Embarassed
Rico Suave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greencastle,PA to Boston and back, 976 miles, all in one day. I was in a Ford Explorer towing a split bus to its new owner. Only stopped for gas, to unload the bus and to eat twice. Did it all in 17 1/2 hours.
Pagerow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plover (Steven's Point), Wisconsin to --> Melbourne, Florida ... 1500 + miles, all below 65 MPH!

Took us just over 5 days, driving about 8 hours per day. We flew up there, bought it, and drove it back home: started out in MINUS 8 degree weather, and got home to 75 degrees and sunny! And found out that it had NO HEAT... UH-OH!

http://paydro.travellerspoint.com

Enjoy the ride, we did!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toolbox212121
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sage wrote:

I did this last fall. Ran about 14 hours a few days.

HAHAH What do you have against the Dakotas?

I'm about to make a trip from NJ to Cali in July. Not by choice but uncle sam says I have to move but he pays my bills so I dont complain. No I'm not in witness relocation I'm military. LOL
bad dog racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New York to San Francisco Non-Stop.
3036 miles averaging 66.7 MPH in a 1970 VW Beetle.
43 Hours 53 Minutes and 36 seconds.

SurfCityRacing wrote:
What's my muthafukinname? Bad Doggy Doo-ooo-oog!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove from Ft Lauderdale to Mahopac NY. Left Fla at 7:30 am got to Mahopac 3:30 am. Was driving my 87 T-bird with a 302, stopped 3 times for fuel and eats. I was getting almost 30mpg, according to the trip computer.
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucson, AZ to Biloxi, MS while towing a U-Haul with an Astro minivan; just myself and two cats. I-10 rocks until you get the Louisiana.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad dog racing wrote:
New York to San Francisco Non-Stop.
3036 miles averaging 66.7 MPH in a 1970 VW Beetle.
43 Hours 53 Minutes and 36 seconds.

That was you?
Goes-Slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whittier, Ca to La Paz Baja California Mexico. 34 hours of happy go lucky fun in the sun with the family... did i mention we are at each others throat most of the way because it was a 100+ degrees summer with no A/C in a '72 Tioga pulling a '65 Baja (R.I.P)

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a condenser in the middle of a desert? let me tell you.... it isn't easy.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done Colorado To Ct. 5 times, all in the '63 Doublecab or '59 Singlecab, the last trip West to East we took both trucks, and another couple caravaned w/us in their '64 Kombi ........

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
letthemusicflow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family and I took a trip to Iowa. Took two days to get there (we left late so we had to stop at a hotel half-way), and 15 hours to get back.
Sometime when my bug is road-ready and reliable, I want to do like a week-long cross-country road trip/photography spree. That would be, like, so totally amazing Very Happy

Beetle Bums VW Club Member
ANSAracingb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here!
My girlfriend is an awesome photographer. Some day when my beetle has a better engine, she and I would love to go on a cross-country trip. She can take the pics; I'll be the driver. Lol
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Longest trips Reply with quote

I bought my 66 bus in California in 2004 and drove it back to Ottawa, Ontario. In 2005, we took it out to Oregon and back. Last summer (2009), we drove to Vancouver and back. I like doing cross-country in a bus and have crossed the continent maybe 15-20 times in various sixties buses. These days my wife flies out and joins me by the coast. Long trips are hard on her back.

500-600 miles is a long day driving ... Sometime soon I will take the time to do it in 200 mile hops that leave lots of time for exploring along the way. Having a bicycle or two along for the ride helps to keep the body moving.

Don
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: