Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Glove Box Door and Bamboo Tray
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pbotsonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Thing Glove Box Door and Bamboo Tray Reply with quote

Do you have to move the map light? Drill any holes? What about for the bamboo tray under the dash? Does that mount easy?
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on which door you end up with. Some use the same mounting holes that the dash pad uses.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at a Thing last month and the map light has to go to install the factory glove box door. The latch and it's receiver are right where the light is.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a picture of the rare factory glove box door that was produced for the hotel Things used in Mexico. From my research that part was never issued for US or European Things only the hotel models in Mexico got those so guests could secure valuables in the box.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kuhl 181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: GloveBox Cover Reply with quote

This the one the Thing Shop offers it's a little pricey but works well. It mounts in same holes as safety pad and require only 2 small holes drilled which are in back of glovebox area. Sounds like a commercial but it works great, it locks and the radio and it's wiring is in it's own compartment and you don't have to move the Map light Very Happy

Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
That is a picture of the rare factory glove box door that was produced for the hotel Things used in Mexico. From my research that part was never issued for US or European Things only the hotel models in Mexico got those so guests could secure valuables in the box.

I've seen a LOT of these doors on Mexican Safaris. Too many to have been only used on hotel cars. The locals down there told me it was 78 and later cars that got them.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that all mexican made things had them after '75. The German military type 181 did not come with them but their civilian models did.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the full glove box door from The Thing Shop on mine many years ago.
http://www.thethingshop.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=181GB

The Thing Shop wrote:
Designed from an original VW glove box door and made to fit the US Delivery Things. Looks like the other panels on your dash when painted to match. Easy to install. $135
The edges are rolled nicely and it has an inner wall - it's got some thickness to it. It's good quality and it's stood up well for years. I had to move the map light to install it, and in order for the body to properly catch the latch, the metal where the map light mounts need to be bent in a bit (not really visible). I've yet to make this bend, and the box just sets shut. With the very visible keyhole and obviously heavy construction (steel door with piano hinge), everyone thinks it's locked and stays out of it. It hides clutter well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thing Shop wrote:
Designed from an original VW glove box door .......

That is a LIE! The original VW glove box door is in the pic I posted above.
I wouldn't even call the Thing Shop's door a reproduction, it is a totally different design.
sdwalter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
The Thing Shop wrote:
Designed from an original VW glove box door .......

That is a LIE! The original VW glove box door is in the pic I posted above.
I wouldn't even call the Thing Shop's door a reproduction, it is a totally different design.

OK, so where can we purchase an original VW glove box door? Does someone sell these?
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are one of the elusive Thing parts. There was a guy in Mexico City that was selling some. Another Thing pal and I both bought one. The condition of both of them were less than perfect.
74 Cosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aftermarket doors are nice.......if you don't paint them. I painted mine to match the vehicle and the paint chips at the hinge. Tolerance to tight at hinge point. I also had to move the light to the rear of the glove or storage box.
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to slot the holes on the hinge and latch to get the door to fit. I also ground down and re welded one side to shorten the width so it fit right.
I moved the map light under the dash behind the I Pod . It works great there.
I also added a rubber bumper on the top of each side of the box so it doesn't chip paint and when it does close the top does not lean in more than it should.
Overall It looks like a factory option to me but it wasn't a bolt on and I was disappointed with all of the mods I had to do for the price I paid.

Surfarii
pjmacua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
I believe that all mexican made things had them after '75. The German military type 181 did not come with them but their civilian models did.

Hello

The civilian models got the glove box door during 1975 in Europe.
For this models, the map light is replaced by a square flat light from the VW Golf (Rabbit), located on the dashboard.

Pierre-J M.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Original Glove Box Reply with quote

I have the same glove box setup minus the lock (which I need) as Bruce has. Can anyone tell me what other parts I need to install it in my 73?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lock and striker can be found in any 74-79 Super Beetle.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Bruce Reply with quote

thanks
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjmacua wrote:
Al Capulco wrote:

Hello

The civilian models got the glove box door during 1975 in Europe.
For this models, the map light is replaced by a square flat light from the VW Golf (Rabbit), located on the dashboard.

Pierre-J M.

The factory glove box door is listed as being introduced on chassis 185 2009 284
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the bamboo parcel tray...cant believe it just sortta hangs there! have the front speaker panels to support the edges. its loaded with odd clutter and hold on the dirt roads nicely! get the speaker panels (sans speakers) from the thing shop, and get the tray from another source for much less money! my two cents!
Smog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320465212666&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Regards Smog
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: