Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Glove Box Door and Bamboo Tray
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeyj007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably go with Thing Shop speaker panels. I would have sooner if I'd known they weren't precut for speakers. I want mine more centered up. The ones they sell with speakers in them are mounted low, likely to accommodate for the bamboo shelf they have. I wanted to have a friend of mine cut some metal ones on his plasma table but we both work close to 70 hours a week so there just isn't enough time.

The glove box panel went in pretty easy. I think you only have to drill two small holes. I was worried the panel door might be one thin piece of metal but it's folded over at the edges and has a second piece to give it more thickness and strength like you'd expect. There is a small gap in the top left corner and I wish the lock came installed and fit a little better. The hole cut for it could have been cut smaller to make for a snug fit. Of course you can tighten it down but i was worried about torquing on it too much. Would have been even better if it was a VW key and then maybe I could have one key for the ignition, doors and glove box. Right now I need to get the doors keyed the same as the ignition. PO must have swapped them at some point. All very minor complains. I'm very happy with the result.

For the map/dome light I just picked a spot I liked and drilled two holes for the sheet metal screws. I still need to tidy up the wires. Right now I have speaker wire running from the coil and alternator. The coil for key on and the generator for always on. There is a fuse right at the alternator. The alternator wire also feeds the map light, cigarette lighter and horn.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeyj007 wrote:
For the map/dome light I just picked a spot I liked and drilled two holes for the sheet metal screws. I still need to tidy up the wires. Right now I have speaker wire running from the coil and alternator. The coil for key on and the generator for always on. There is a fuse right at the alternator. The alternator wire also feeds the map light, cigarette lighter and horn.

You can directly wire the cigarette lighter to fuse 9 of your fusebox. The maplight then daisychains off the lighter. Power available all the time. That would delete the inline fuse and keep the circuit protected. That's the it was wired up originally.
hotvw1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came from factory with a lockable glovebox door but the piano hinge has seized and started breaking away from the door. So I have now removed the hinge from the door and trying to figure out which route to go in fixing it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pbotsonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally bought a radio glove box door kit and installed it last night. How do you get the black tab off of the old defrost lever and on to the new one? Also does anyone elses radio stick out a hair? Mind does. I believe it is hitting the defrost tubes on the top of the glovebox.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bbigg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took all of it out. Its a summer car! But it was very very close when I had it before.
mikeyj007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just pulled on the plastic knob and it came off without too much trouble. there is a small metal clip inside it. My radio stuck out a little too. I was going to get a plastic spacer for it but ended up just pushing it in a little more to get it nearly flush. Some places that install radios have the spacer.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeyj007 wrote:

I have this style globe box door/radio cutout door with the heater lever cutout however my heater lever exits to the glove box not through the slot on the door. Was that a modification?
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
talljr1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Glove Box Door and Bamboo Tray Reply with quote

Thinking of making my own and was wondering how thick the metal is. Assuming it's aluminum as opposed to steel. Between an angle grinder, jigsaw and dremel, it should not be that tough.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: