Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

7 thou. on endplay, can two thousandths be that critical?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fortheloveofvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: 7 thou. on endplay, can two thousandths be that critical? Reply with quote

Experienced vw heads please: on crankshaft endplay, Boston Bob says 5 thousandths is perfect, Bentley says 6 thousandths is the upper wear limit. Mine is 7... Can one/ two thousandths make that much of a difference?
My local VW dealer found seven different part numbers for the one shim I showed him in my Bentley (none of which he could tell me a thickness on) I'm wondering if he is a numbskull, lazy, or if they are that obscure?

gettin' impatient here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike all of tours together now see if any 1 is the thickness u need,might make easier knowing how thick to look for, its the combination.
fortheloveofvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are the three shims between the trust washer and the oddly shaped "retainer" shim (for lack of a better description). The bigger one mics out at 17 thou. and the other two mic out at 13 thou. My pop is an old machinist. I got him on the case and he's going to see if he can cut me a 2 thou. shim out of their stock, we'll see. I figure I could also get a 15 thou. shim too but trick is finding them. I may try another dealer or go back in there to my local one and respectfully yet sternly wait until somebody can give me some answers Confused .
I'm haunted by my grandfather's wisdom: if you don't have time to do it right when you gonna have time to do it over!
Jere
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortheloveofvdub wrote:
I figure I could also get a 15 thou. shim too but trick is finding them.

Have you tried calling the usual sources?

Van Cafe
Bus Depot
Go Westy
Boston Bob

just to name a few? Obviously, it would be better for you to check them yourself, but getting the right thickness shim is the right thing to do. I'd give Boston Bob a call first, but i'm sure any of those vendors would help.

-Damon
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't give your location, but if you have a local VW specialty shop I would go there first. VW dealers can be pretty worthless IMHO. I only check with my VW dealer after I have failed at all other sources.
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't built a water boxer and I can't recall how the bearings are set up relative to the air cooled engines, but if your thrust bearing or surface is within its wear limits you can get the shims to set the end play correctly. Stick with the factory tolerances... a thou doesn't sound like much but the VW engineers weren't guessing when they came up with these numbers. You're in there now... take your time to find the right shims.
OilNBolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortheloveofvdub wrote:
There are the three shims between the trust washer and the oddly shaped "retainer" shim (for lack of a better description). The bigger one mics out at 17 thou. and the other two mic out at 13 thou. My pop is an old machinist. I got him on the case and he's going to see if he can cut me a 2 thou. shim out of their stock, we'll see.

It would be easier for your dad to make a .015 shim to replace one of your .013 shims than to make a .002 shim. That's awfully thin.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Morymob said, it's the combination of the shims that make up the desired end play.

From the Bus Boys
Quote:

Flywheel End-Play Shims

End Play Shims Are Sold Each Or In Sets Of 5, Representing One Of Each Thickness. The Factory Specifies That A Combination Of No More and No Less Than 3 Shims Should Be Used When Setting End-Play.

021-105-291 Shim, Bus & Vanagon, 1972 to 1991, .24mm / .0095 in. $2.20

021-105-281 Shim, Bus & Vanagon, 1972 to 1991, .30mm / .0120 in. $7.50

021-105-283 Shim, Bus & Vanagon, 1972 to 1991, .32mm / .0126 in. $2.95

021-105-285 Shim, Bus & Vanagon, 1972 to 1991, .34mm / .0134 in. $3.25

021-105-287 Shim, Bus & Vanagon, 1972 to 1991, .36mm / .0142 in. $4.90

021-105-289 Shim, Bus & Vanagon, 1972 to 1991, .38mm / .0150 in. $2.85

021-105-280 Shim Set 1900-2100 $23.30

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
fortheloveofvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about the Bus Boys and thanks for the numbers. I live in Central Ohio now. I get used to ordering my stuff through the internet and never really talk to the vendors; I guess I figured the shims were a dealer item.
When I lived in Portland OR you couldn’t go ten feet without seeing a fine VW and could walk right into Wolfsburg west after a short surface street jaunt. Out here most people are wizzing around in everything but (gosh I miss the old rose city). Thanks for your inputs; I think pop decided to do the .002 shim because he knew he had that stock for sure where he works.
I may have to reconsider if it’s three… no more or less though, hmmm.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, I posted last night with a tip to go to BusBoys. They're the only internet vendor I could find that sells the shims. But my post didn't post, apparently.

Your dealer isn't nuts; you can see there are indeed seven separate P/N's, for the six sizes and the complete set.

Seven thou isn't too terribly bad for an older engine, but since you're in there you might as well bring it back into spec. On a 2.1 the thrust plates are self-adjusting, so you don't need to worry that the play is actually a worn case or #1 thrust shoulder like on the earlier engines. But no way I would put a .002" shim in there. Much too thin to have the stiffness needed to stay in place in that location; it would probably disintegrate. Thank your Dad, but much better to swap one of your 13's for a 15.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: