Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 340, 341, 342 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Finished my door refreshment: Removed rust, installed new scrapers, vent window rubbers, felt channels and a small reinforcement bar. Then raided rust on the running boards.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Thought I was on the set of Babylon 5 for a minute...

Balanced the pistons. Assembled to measure deck height and realized I don't have a deck height tool anymore. Grrr...
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

[Edit]
Nice Work!!

Dang - Londo Molari looked just like your engine!! Guess the Samba gods disagreed.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!

Last edited by vamram on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:38 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Thought I was on the set of Babylon 5 for a minute...

Balanced the pistons. Assembled to measure deck height and realized I don't have a deck height tool anymore. Grrr...

Can you torque the cylinders down and use a straight edge and a feeler gauge. That's how I was taught early on.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

That's how I was taught too. But I learned that the tool is MUCH easier to work with than mickey mousing something together myself.

Plus it helps if you have a piece of metal that has pretty consistent thickness. Within a thou or so. Plus you have to stack sockets or something to reach the threads,. etc etc...

I was just disappointed that I'd given mine away years ago, thinking I'd never need it again. Sigh...
MERKURmeow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Idiots guide toolbox - compete!

Maybe I can stop being paranoid, maybe. I can't remember who says it "No boom today, boom tomorrow, there's always a boom tomorrow."
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Finished my custom made brackets for the Kamei front spoiler (so I wouldn't have to drill holes into my fenders to mount it up) and put that bad boy on!

Hot dang it looks good! Cool

Now I just need the warmer weather to come so I can check out the better handling at speed!
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
That's how I was taught too. But I learned that the tool is MUCH easier to work with than mickey mousing something together myself.

Plus it helps if you have a piece of metal that has pretty consistent thickness. Within a thou or so. Plus you have to stack sockets or something to reach the threads,. etc etc...

I was just disappointed that I'd given mine away years ago, thinking I'd never need it again. Sigh...

That last sentence....I kick myself in the ass EVERYTIME I work on my Bug. I had soooo many factory VW tools. Sold them all, back when I was done with cars! Stupid young kid said that! The older man now knows differently! Damn!!!!

A straight piece of steel with two rare earth magnets keeps the bar from moving, and a good set of feelers gives you the exact number. Easy. The magnets help out a lot!! Home Depot sells them cheap in the hardware aisle.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I hadn't thought about the magnets. I like that idea.

I still haven't done it, I'm sure AJ's wondering what happened to me, waiting for my measurements so he can CC the chambers on my new heads. lol
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
I hadn't thought about the magnets. I like that idea.

I still haven't done it, I'm sure AJ's wondering what happened to me, waiting for my measurements so he can CC the chambers on my new heads. lol

The deck height tool is cool to have but the feelers and magnets work awesome!

You can get those numbers to him tomorrow if you stop by the HD tonight!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Work and life are getting in the way. I really want to, but it'll be 11pm before I get home and have to be back here by 5. (IT manager running multiple new ERP deployments... ugh.)

I'll have to shoot for it this weekend.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Upside is I drove the Baja today. So much fun to drive. Completely different animal from my fast and comfortable turbo Saab. Wink
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Work and life are getting in the way. I really want to, but it'll be 11pm before I get home and have to be back here by 5. (IT manager running multiple new ERP deployments... ugh.)

I'll have to shoot for it this weekend.

Damn work getting in the way of fun!!!!

Good luck!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Speedbird73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Got him out of his car port, adjusted the carb for the colder weather, and took him out for a drive. All the while, reveling in the glory that will be when he has his dual carbs installed!
mrpinkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

spent the day painting the wheels and smoothy rings blue. I think they turned out good.

alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed an almost new trunk liner on my 1983 Mexican Beetle.

jkvgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Fixed tons of electrical stuff (dash lights, turn signal, etc.). Apparently the term “first check the fuse” really is true. Spent alot of time tracing an issue with my radio when apparently it was just the fuse lol. Planning to finish up with all electrical issues tomorrow. Only thing left is the horn, reverse lights and brake lights!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

jkvgo wrote:
Fixed tons of electrical stuff (dash lights, turn signal, etc.). Apparently the term “first check the fuse” really is true. Spent alot of time tracing an issue with my radio when apparently it was just the fuse lol. Planning to finish up with all electrical issues tomorrow. Only thing left is the horn, reverse lights and brake lights!

Good luck with that horn circuit! That is the worst circuit ever designed to have to deal with. Just in case. There is a bearing down in the column under the turn signal switch, that creates one segment of the ground path for the horn. I have had to change these out on several of the last Bugs that I restored due to wear. Sometimes that bearing gets overlooked.

Good luck!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Went to replace the wiper shafts today. Like an idiot I didn't pay attention to how the geometry worked, so after 2 hours of fiddling I stopped for the night. I'll pick it back up next weekend.

I did discover some worn wires, so I built a new wiring harness for the wiper motor. Couldn't match a couple of those colors but each one is a different color at least, and all in a nice loom. I just need to fiddle with the arms and get it right.
nachche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

welded a new floor -battery tray Smile

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 340, 341, 342 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 341 of 449

Jump to: