Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 341, 342, 343 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

The old tape player /radio broke some months ago, which left me tuneless Sad

Found this Blaupunkt in the garage and installed it the other day. It has a sticker with Riviera Motors VW on the top. The 8-track player does not work, unfortunately, but the radio has good sound.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

edited to add pic.

Last edited by Clara on Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

mrpinkie wrote:
spent the day painting the wheels and smoothy rings blue. I think they turned out good.

Hey there Mr. Pinkie, I'm digging this color combination!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
lacolin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I have been putting off replacing the shifter bushing in my 69 bug. Today was the day, and I thought it could take a couple of hours or all day. I watched several videos and thought I had it down.
Removal was easy enough and the the shift rod was in good shape and rod already had a lot of clean grease on it. I added some grease. I did not clean it and re-grease it. Big mistake. Putting it back it it was very tight from the get go. Kept pushing it in and got to a point where I could't push it in any more. The rod has a bend in it and I wasn't sure if it was binding. I tried rotating it but it would only rotate so far. I decided to remove it, clean it and re-grease. Except now it was stuck. I was trying to push it back out with needle nose pliers and couldn't get a really good grip. Spent an hour moving it a few inches. Finally I tried using a regular set of pliers. Surprise! They fit in the shift hole and allowed me to get it out.
Putting it back in I decided to make a jig out of an 1" round pvc pipe. It was about 6 feet long with a 3 inch half moon cut at the end and zip tied to the shift nob. It worked great and it was in in 5 minutes. Only now I realized that it somehow got threaded under the brake lines in the tunnel in the back and I couldn't lift it high enough to reach the trans! I pushed it back out 4 or 5 inches, reached into the tunnel from the back, and was able to get it thru and lined up properly. Got everything in and good to go. It did take all day. Next time should take 45 minutes, but I really hope there is no "next time"

Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jrm1080
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Got her on her feet. Reply with quote

Been about 9 months and an Arizona Summer since she stood under her own weight.

Next up:
Fuel tank and lines
Some wiring
And Speedometer.

•’67 Type I mostly original semi daily driver (temperature permitting 🔥☀️)
•’74 Type I work in progress.
ghiaride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I know this is the beetle forem , but I spent all day also replaceing the shift bushing. I dont know how they designed this thing but I had to finally wslide the bushing onto the shift rod first and then push the bushing into the collar that holds it .. VERY DIFFICULT. but it finally went into its position. But I also realized that the shift rod is too short because every one always said the shift rod from a auto stick can not be used when converting to manual as I have just done. So I ordered one of those EMPI weld on rod adjuster parts . the shift rod was only 3/4 inch too short but that is a lot of course.My car is a 71 Ghia and it is in decent shape rust wise needs some body work engine ran after rebuild of 34 Pict
carb.after the adjuster is in it will be exciting to see if this used tranny is good. Any one need any auto stick parts.?The vacuum tank and other parts were good except it turned out why the thing couldnt work is because atf fluid was leaking out into something . But I did alot of troubleshooting , studied all the manuals . I quess the PO must have known it couldnt be fixed or didnt have the money. He last had it registered in 1986 .
MERKURmeow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Started upgrading my speedo. LED warning/indicator light next!

Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I'm looking for an old towel I can wrap up the oil filter with in the wheel well. I can't get the oil temps to go above about 120°F (50°C), even going up long steep mountain passes.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Juanito84 wrote:
I'm looking for an old towel I can wrap up the oil filter with in the wheel well. I can't get the oil temps to go above about 120°F (50°C), even going up long steep mountain passes.

That is really cold. The engine doesn't lubricate properly that cold. Do you have the thermostat set up in place? You must be freezing in that car. W/o the thermostat the heat only seems luke-warm in cool weather.

And pre-heat to the air filter... that make s a difference.
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
That is really cold. The engine doesn't lubricate properly that cold. Do you have the thermostat set up in place? You must be freezing in that car. W/o the thermostat the heat only seems luke-warm in cool weather.

And pre-heat to the air filter... that make s a difference.

Do I have these installed and working properly on my Bug?

Thermostat and flaps, Yes! Very Happy
Carb preheat, Yes! Very Happy
Californian dual heat risers, Yes! Very Happy
Oil cooler bypass thermostat, Yes! Very Happy
150W oil plate heater plugged in all night, Yes! Very Happy

Actually I get lots of heat inside the car with just the normal stock heat exchangers and stock heating system. But right now I'm running about 200 to 250°F head temps and 120°F oil temps. I guess because it's been between -15° to 15°F when I'm driving

Rags tied to the oil cooler got 140°F oil temps. Oil pressure won't go below 20psi at idle.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Since there’s no Ghia thread...
Today I bought a QuickJack 3500 lift to facilitate the upgrades on my 70/71 Bastard Child. Parts are trickling in from different places. I’m surprised about how many inquiries I’ve made for some very expensive custom parts met with no response.

Upgrades will be 1915 to 2276, retrofit a 7mm fuel line and electric pump, narrow the front 2” so I can finally lower it but that is a work in progress. I’m still researching options. This is what it is now:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Since there’s no Ghia thread...

Nice Ghia, but I bet your fellow Ghia-heads would like to see your progress too on their 'what did you do to your Ghia' thread

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=302423
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
ms69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

took out gas tank and then discovered my engine block was cracked at the point where it meets the trans and leaking oil- wondering if i need a new block? Confused
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

yes you need a new block(case) I wouldent waste money on a used case or a mag case. aluminum cases for me.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

The only effective thing I did today was I scored some discount vinyl for the headliner job I have to do down the road.
$6/yard is quite a steal
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
mrpinkie wrote:
spent the day painting the wheels and smoothy rings blue. I think they turned out good.

Hey there Mr. Pinkie, I'm digging this color combination!

Those colors are sick! Loving it! Nice job!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
MERKURmeow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Replaced my crank pulley and started tuning my new Carb.
Work called off on account of weather...

DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Finally got the old sand seal out of the 2180. Got a proper number off it... National 340400. It's a universal part, but oddly none of the parts stores around me carry it. So for $10 I ordered it from Amazon.

I did try to install the orange Empi seal that I had, but it's just a bit too big. I also noticed that the case was cut off center for the seal (it may still be centered for the crank though), and there's a chip broken off one side. Sigh.
Speedbird73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Trying to trace the problem with flat spots in acceleration, and the bug dying on down shifting, so I gave it a tune up: New cap, rotor, condenser, points, and a new coil to boot.

A stupid question, though, what RPM do you guys up-shift at? (1972 std bug).
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Speedbird73 wrote:
Trying to trace the problem with flat spots in acceleration, and the bug dying on down shifting, so I gave it a tune up: New cap, rotor, condenser, points, and a new coil to boot.

A stupid question, though, what RPM do you guys up-shift at? (1972 std bug).

To answer that question...

Stock motor? 1600 with single carb? Stock distributor with the vacuum can? Is the vacuum can in good condition? All grounds clean and no frayed ground straps?

IME if everything else is good, a bad ground can cause that down shift issue. Decel shifts the engine, and a poorly secured ground can shift and break the circuit. Flat spots are generally due to using a mechanical only distributor or a bad accel valve on the carb (if everything's stock).

Put in aftermarket gear or go outside the stock 1600 config and that's a whole nuther issue.
danlewister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Well, I finally got a break in the weather and the time to pull the body off the pan today, so I can get to all of the welding I want to do to the body and the pan. You can see I have a quarter panel to replace. There was waste behind it, so I'm going to do that work before I get to the panel. The lower end of the firewall and the "napoleon's hat" are pretty wasted, so I'll get into that. Then there's waste around the rocker panels and front corner of the rear wheel wells where water sat. I also have what looks to be waste from the dreaded rear vent on the passenger side, so I'll be busy with this for a while!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 341, 342, 343 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 342 of 449

Jump to: