Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 344, 345, 346 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Welcome Web, don't forget to post pics!

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

drove my 1303 cabrio (SB vert) and found that at 55mph with the top down the interior stays dry when it rains!
webbracing03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Just ordered more parts for the 1835.

I swear this will nickel and dime me to death.

Now all I think I need are the Hoover bit, distributor/gear/spring, spark plugs, oil pump, and full flow oil pump cover.

I may snag at least the oil pump off the 2180. I don't like the chrome 009 that's on there now.

I'm just dying to fire this thing up. These little bits are killing me.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Just ordered more parts for the 1835.

I swear this will nickel and dime me to death.

Now all I think I need are the Hoover bit, distributor/gear/spring, spark plugs, oil pump, and full flow oil pump cover.

I may snag at least the oil pump off the 2180. I don't like the chrome 009 that's on there now.

I'm just dying to fire this thing up. These little bits are killing me.

In the same boat. Last weekend it was the barrel shims, the oil pressure switch and some more Gasgacinch. Today it was push rod tube seals because my “Engine Gasket Set” does not come with those included. So, I have to get those separately! WTF! Twenty years ago those were in the gasket set. I also had to purchase the small air deflector tin in between the cylinders. 5 bucks each. How many more little things will it be? I wanna drive it already!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I machined the heads instead of shimming the barrels. there was a .050 or so of deck height so I left it as is. Straight to the case. Smile
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Oh, and my gasket set came with pushrod tube seals. I wonder why yours didn't? Hell, I could have brought you some since I bought a set and still have the ones in the gasket set.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Nevermind, you're close to Pierside aren't you? I need to get back over there. Haven't been in a while.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Nevermind, you're close to Pierside aren't you? I need to get back over there. Haven't been in a while.

Pierside is a stones throw away. They had them and I picked up the air deflectors under the cylinders. Almost forgot about them! I have a set of type 3 tins, but I know better than to use them. But man was I tempted - cause I am lazy!

Long block was completed today.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
webs123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
webs123 wrote:

Replaced lower section of the rear light housing. It came out better than I thought Smile

Good on you for tackling that kind of project, but how does a tail light housing get to the point where it needs to be welded back together? That must be one incredibly rough looking Beetle.

Actually this '70 beetle is in better condition than many others unrestored due to to being stored away for a long time(seen less road salt).
Allthough it had rust on typical places sparewheel well, front fenders(left rear is replacement and ok), bumber mounting points on the front, plus front wheel well lower sections.
I think the housing went bad because of the water condensation inside or maybe previous fender had hole on this point for starting rusting process.
aphaynes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Brought my first ever VW home...

DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

That is a beautiful car!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

That is a beautiful car! Looks like it has a sunroof!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Had a horrible nightmare that WATER was running out from between the engine and tranny.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

unclewede wrote:
Had a horrible nightmare that WATER was running out from between the engine and tranny.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Blow a freeze plug at the back of the block, did ya?
aphaynes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
That is a beautiful car!

VW_Jimbo wrote:
That is a beautiful car! Looks like it has a sunroof!

Thanks. It is a 1968 and it does have a sunroof. A little tricky to close, but I'm sure I can learn more about that on here.
seiyaTokyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I completed to reupholster my beetle rear sheet!!
Thank you very much for forum member’s article and pictures.
And thank you very much youtubers

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Continued working on the engine...I can't wait for this thing to be done.
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I'd been having two issues with my resurrected 1970: bad transmission and engine running poorly.

Two weeks ago I installed the rebuilt MoFoCo transmission, that's been fine. Haven't driven much in last 4 months due to the transmission issue.

Got to this today. Took off air cleaner, cranks, no start.

Added starting fluid to carb, cranks, no start.

Replaced 1970's coil with the 1971's, starts right up. Clean up the bottom of the 1970 coil, clean up the terminals, reinstall, starts right up. So leaving its own coil in there, also leaving a stock old black coil here in its trunk. Wires were not off or loose, must've been a spark jumping.

So nice to have an easy fix, maybe having my 1971 parts, timing light, dwell meter, extra points and condenser here just scared it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
So nice to have an easy fix, maybe having my 1971 parts, timing light, dwell meter, extra points and condenser here just scared it.

That seems to be the truth at times! Glad you were able to scare it into running!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 344, 345, 346 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 345 of 449

Jump to: