Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 353, 354, 355 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
It all starts the same way: "what year is that"

Yep! Every signal around here. But I did pull up to a cherried out 57 the other day and it was I asking him if it was a 57! He asked what year mine was, though!

Life is good!!! Totally agree! No bad days!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Getting ready to do the engine swap, and was installing the valve covers Saturday.

Between the aftermarket valve covers having a deep as hell flange that hits the bosses on the head, and the pathetic paper thin cork gaskets, I had to double up. Sigh...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Getting ready to do the engine swap, and was installing the valve covers Saturday.

Between the aftermarket valve covers having a deep as hell flange that hits the bosses on the head, and the pathetic paper thin cork gaskets, I had to double up. Sigh...

Trimming the flange as needed to clear the bosses would be a better solution. Using two gaskets per cover is wasteful as well as significantly increases the chances you'll end up with a leak in that area.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought about it. I probably will later on.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Not much but I did build a short block today.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Got the old engine out today. I forgot just how light a VW engine is. Embarassed

I guess I found out why my clutch was such crap... I've never seen a pressure plate fail like this before...

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Got the old engine out today. I forgot just how light a VW engine is. Embarassed

I guess I found out why my clutch was such crap... I've never seen a pressure plate fail like this before...

Yep! Way lighter than a 454 big block!

Plate was improperly installed. It was stressed during the install, and then gave up the ghost.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

How do you improperly install a pressure plate?

I just want to make sure I don't do whatever was done to that one.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:

Do not tighten one bolt at a time all the way. Instead, align the disc and start tightening the bolts one at a time, about a turn each time. I typically go in a cross star pattern. Eventually, they get to the snug part. Thats when you pull out the torque wrench.

Baby steps!

By the way. That looks like a stage1 Kennedy plate. Little better grab than stock.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:

A friend of mine had a bad pressure plate late spring. When I removed the engine. This is what I found.

So it's not so uncommon.

Glad you found the issue with your clutch.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
DurocShark wrote:

Do not tighten one bolt at a time all the way. Instead, align the disc and start tightening the bolts one at a time, about a turn each time. I typically go in a cross star pattern. Eventually, they get to the snug part. Thats when you pull out the torque wrench.

Baby steps!

By the way. That looks like a stage1 Kennedy plate. Little better grab than stock.

Oh, I figured there was some trick I maybe didn't know about. I've done a dozen clutches over the years, but who knows?

Yep. Kennedy. This clutch had been slipping for a long time. I just hadn't fixed it because this 2180 engine is coming out and my new 1835 is going in. I just wanted to see what the clutch looked like. The 2180 when rebuilt will go back to having a Stage 1. But stock should be fine for the new engine.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
DurocShark wrote:

A friend of mine had a bad pressure plate late spring. When I removed the engine. This is what I found.

So it's not so uncommon.

Glad you found the issue with your clutch.

Good Luck.

I guess not. Thanks for the pic!
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Greased the front beam and ball joints. I can't remember the last time I greased anything, nothing has grease fittings anymore! Next is an oil change and valve adjustment. The engine that I installed in this Project bug was sitting under a workbench for 8 years. I put fresh oil in it when I installed it in July but I have put maybe 100 miles on it so I want to flush it with clean oil. Man it's good to be back in a Bug again after 18 years. Time flies.

Mike T

Engine before I installed it in the Bug.

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

BIGMIKEY wrote:
Man it's good to be back in a Bug again after 18 years. Time flies.”

That’s what I thought four years ago, exactly! Feels really good!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

For the first time in over 10 years we got the band back together. Just like the blues brothers we got all the guys we could round up, VW guys that is. One of the guys used to operate a VW shop in town for nearly 30 years, he shut the doors over 10 years ago. Anyway we came together to build a transaxle. Probably more BS than actual work but we did the gear stack and carrier then it devolved into lunch.

The two stacks sitting upright represent late model and early model we talked about the differences and progressive refinements. There’s strength in numbers just imagine what 6 old guys can accomplish Very Happy
Teehoovee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fl8Dp_PZE1o I make a video about my project😎
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Replaced the shift rod bushing, tightened the cage of the shift rod coupler, and adjusted the shifter/reverse lockout plate.

Still will not shift into first gear. I fear the transaxle may be broken internally.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Went to the local cruise-in. No VW guys there. so I took a drive. Ended up cruising the country roads I used to cruise in the '70's when I was a kid. I had a thoroughly good time too. Car ran pretty good aside from a sudden tendency to idle at a real low rpm. The weather was cool for a change. Air temperature was about 50°F so I tried the heat. Toasty. Need to adjust the brakes again. New shoes are settling in.

Oh yeah, I installed a 15" EMPI trigger shifter. Works great and I don't have to lean forward for 3rd gear now.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Finished and reinstalled my rear seat and cards. Should've painted the headliner...

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
chekrz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Cut my beam down 3 inches. Added disc brakes and 2.5 in. Drop spindles and my tires rubbed the out side of the fenders. So I had no choice but to chop the beam. Was way easier then I thought. The worst part was getting all the crud in my eyes upon taking it out!

Btw. I wish I had done the disc brakes yrs ago. They perform amazing.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 353, 354, 355 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 354 of 449

Jump to: