Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 359, 360, 361 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I took the superbeetle on the freeway for the first time. HO-LEE CRAP! I forgot what 65 MPH feels like in these things.

The Superbeetle seems to handle better than I remember the Ghia doing 12+ years ago, but it feels a lot smaller inside.

Took me a while, but I was having a blast by the end of the trip.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Got it ready to tow 120 miles to the desert. Also had to get it prepped for the desert, clean filters and wraps, adjust and balance carbs, check timing, all that good stuff. Really need to get the link pin 6in wider beam on the balljoint car and start working on rear suspension parts.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Fluid Film sprayed all the fender seams in prep for yesterday's first snow drive of the season in the DC area. Fortunately, they did not salt the roads for this slushy mess. I prepped the underneath of the car a couple of weeks back.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nathankershaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Bought it!

1974 1303 needing lots of love!

Her resting spot for the last 10 years:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Back home:

[/img]
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Adjusted brakes all around and changed diff oil.
63 Sunroof Bug, Former Herbie, Dad bought in 66
79 Super Beetle Convertible, OG paint and interior
69 Weekender Bus
77 Bay Window Bus, OG paint
69 Bug Convertible - SOLD
71 Super Beetle Vert - SOLD
64 Karmann-Ghia, barn find - SOLD
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I ordered some parts! The project is finally re starting since August. We'll see if I can have it complete for a show in NY in may
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Parked it so the driver's side window is downwind. It doesn't roll all the way up you see... Sad
plotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Merry Turkey Day everyone!!! Painting yesterday, welding the day before.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I'd been running 050 idle jets in my single Weber 40DCNF on my 1835cc DP engine for 4 decades, to keep emissions able to pass. I don't need emissions testing any longer, so a week ago I adjusted the fuel enrichment lever for the first time ever, helped.

So I installed my 060 idle jets yesterday, didn't adjust the idle mixture settings, didn't improve things any, driveability was about the same, still better than before I adjusted the fuel enrichment. So I re-installed the 050 jets.

No - I did NOT pull any plugs to check on their appearance with those changes - which were very easy to do.

So I think I'll just drive with 050 and the fuel enrichment lever part-way engaged for the time being, excited about the performance improvement.

I also warmed the 38-year-old convertible top in the sun and then raised it for the winter. I don't recommend raising or lowering these tops when the top is cold, to lessen chance of cracking.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

I also warmed the 38-year-old convertible top in the sun and then raised it for the winter. I don't recommend raising or lowering these tops when the top is cold, to lessen chance of cracking.

insert 'envy' emoji here!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I've got a single Weber 40DCNF on my 1835cc engine; there are no flaps in my fan shroud as I've used an external oil cooler for over 4 decades, and my intake manifold has no heat risers at all. Since I'd been experimenting the last 2 weeks with different idle jet sizes and fuel enrichment settings on the Weber 40DCNF to improve some the cold weather driveability before warm up (I've left the jets and enrichment untouched for 35 years), I felt that today it would make sense to "read" the spark plugs.

I pulled #1, #3, and #4 plugs, and they look good as to fuel/air and combustion. #1 gap was too large, #3 was too small, and #4 was right at 0.028 inches, so like the "Three Bears". So I cleaned those on drill press with wire wheel and adjusted those all to 0.028 inches, tightened the little end "adapter nuts" as my spark wire ends use those, and reinstalled to 23 ft lbs torque.

Now - you may ask - what about poor little #2 plug??? Well, since the others looked OK, I decided to just leave it alone, as I've run a solid threaded repair insert in that one for quite a few years' no reason to tempt providence.
Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

A few days ago, the idle went wonky on the new engine, I heard some metal on metal on the left side, and I noticed an oil drip from a push rod tube on that same side.

It's only got a little over 100 miles since break-in, but I figured the head was wanting retorqued.

I pulled the assembly off, checked the head torque (18lbs all around) and inspected everything. One stud looked shiny, the other looked black (these were black from the factory in these new heads). Looked closer...

WTH is it with me and the rocker hardware? Sigh. Slapped the valve cover back on to keep everything clean and I'll head to Pierside tomorrow at lunch.

Sad

(EDIT to remove the accidental inappropriate pic... Not horrible, kinda funny, but still inapppropriate.)
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Got my hard start relay installed for the ignition switch! used Glenn's schematic and it was painless. Wired an inline fuse from the fusebox to ignition coil #15.

Went for my first real drive with the new carb from Volkzbitz and distributor from wcfvw69.

It really is amazing the difference in the drive. For a stock 1600 DP, it certainly has a little pep that I didn't know of before. Very Happy
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Deebs wrote:

Went for my first real drive with the new carb from Volkzbitz and distributor from wcfvw69.

It really is amazing the difference in the drive. For a stock 1600 DP, it certainly has a little pep that I didn't know of before. Very Happy

Great to hear it's running well! Those German engineers were pretty smart when they designed the carbs/distributors to match and work perfectly together! Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I placed my home-engineered "air shield" over the external oil cooler on my 1971 Convertible, that acts like my "winter thermostat".

Then I drove it to the cable TV store to get a free replacement remote control, as the remote was failing to control my TV. I had tried fresh batteries, and also tried all 3 ways to set-up for my TV, none would work.

At that shopping center parking lot, I parked next to a 1963 Herbie VW, a restored "Herbie". It had a personalized license plate (4HERBIE), and had a sticker saying please look but don't touch. I didn't know in which store the owner worked or was shopping, so didn't get a chance to talk.

Anyway, the new remote control works fine.
dorsett7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Hi everyone! And happy holidays!,today I removed the fixed quarter Windows on my 74 bug in preparation for the German pop outs I got on TS. Even though the seals were not worth saving I wanted to play nice and try to remove them with out harming them for practice...however after being in there for 44 years they were not having it!I used a putty knife on both the outside and inside lips and used a hair dryer to warm it but they didn't budge, so cut the inside lips,stood on the outside and it was easy to work them out by myself with no "oh shi#" slips.To respond to a question someone posted on another pop out thread,I did notice the "Arm R Clad" VW logo that is embossed on the Windows is on the inside of one window,and on the outside of the other...Terry
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Got some last few bits of missing engine tin from the classifieds. Amazing what 30 minutes and a $70 ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight can do.
Before:

After:
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Seamed sealed pan with 3M Dynatron #550.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Volcrew wrote:
Seamed sealed pan with 3M Dynatron #550.

What did you weld together? Pictures?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

plotch wrote:
Merry Turkey Day everyone!!! Painting yesterday, welding the day before.

Gotta love the rust in the greater North Eastern United States...

Looks like you gotta handle on it tho..

MikeC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 359, 360, 361 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 360 of 449

Jump to: