Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 364, 365, 366 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I installed new heater cables.

My first attempt with the footwell cables was a disaster when I broke one of the cables.Dont ask !
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Have I ever mentioned how much I *HATE* electrical crap? Ugh...

Dimmer relay only passing 7v. Took it apart and cleaned all the points. Fixed that. Found corroded connectors on several lighting wires. Replaced said connectors, cleaned the spades on the fuse block with a brass wire wheel. Then the headlights went wonky... High beam only lit the right headlight. Left headlight dark. Low beam lit the left headlight. Right headlight dark. After hours of chasing and trying a new headlight switch, nothing helped. Found two more bad connectors. They weren't corroded (PO replacement) but the crimps were weak.

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

But now I have working headlights. Yay? Sigh...

I had hoped to spend some time working on the door lock mechanisms and test fitting electric strikers. Another time I guess...
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Spent a bunch of money.. ... lol runs great now! Steering tomorrow.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GoodOldMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I shot a video tearing down one of my Kadron carbs. I also compared Berryman and Gunk Carb Clearner on the video if you are interested, here's the link:

Link
vdubguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Airkewld wrote:
vdubguru wrote:
Started it up and rolled it out of the garage for 10 minutes... then back in the garage because it started snowing again Rolling Eyes

Roll on Spring!

Looking great!

Thanks!! Needs more Low!!! Very Happy
Grifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Got the rear parcel shelf carpet in today among some other small interior things getting ready for the main carpets. I’m pretty happy with it, not perfect there’s a couple small wrinkles, but my headliner is far from perfect and it’s OK

Stock SP, Bosch vac advance
30PICT-3 swapped to a 30PICT-1

"At least I know that I don't know. Question is are you bozos smart enough to feel stupid? Hope so"

durhamfirecaptain wrote:
Wow, we have VW's in North Carolina?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Since it's supposed to rain all weekend, I installed new tail lights tonight. I picked up some LED lights from Octane Lighting: https://www.octanelighting.com/product/68-69-70-vw...4-c1968475

While chasing the short that would cause me to blow a fuse when I hit the brakes, I found the bulb mounts were completely rotted. I was going to order new stock style lights, but they weren't much cheaper than those LEDs by the time I got new bulbs and everything, so...

Then I discovered there's no power going to the driving light on the right side, and the turn signals don't work at all now.

Sigh.

One step forward, 12 steps back.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Had a lot of slop in my steering for the past several months so I adjusted the steering box today- apparently the adjustment screw had worked itself waaayy too far out as I was able to turn it 4-5 complete turns before it bottomed out! Shocked I then backed it off 1/8 turn, retightened the locknut, took it for a spin and-- voila! Perfect steering again.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Built some tie rods

GoodOldMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

finally completed my carb rebuild and posted a video on it!

Link
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

GoodOldMike wrote:
finally completed my carb rebuild and posted a video on it!

Link

Never say never! Wink
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I just finished fixing the tail light (the cross wire from the left light to the right was bad somewhere in the middle of the harness). So now I have both tail lights working!

Bought an LED compatible flasher unit, but still no flashy flash at all. They worked before I put the LEDs on, so... ugh.
GoodOldMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I posted another video of my journey here.
Hope you enjoy it!

Link
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Broke the throttle cable!

I guess I know what my next video will be about... Laughing

And time to put some pennies into a fund for the Aircooled.net intake with the better linkage. Sigh.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

ok I have a daily driver 1200 Standard 1972, think yankees call it a 40 horse ?
Still matching numbers on original engine with 1006,000 miles that I did a top end rebuild 3 years ago at 88,000 miles just new rings,valves and valve springs,retainers and pushrod tubes apart from new electronic vac advance distributor and a new Brosol 30 pic 3 manual choke carb I put a lawnmower throttle thru the firewall round the backseat to the seatbelt fastener, not pretty but works for cold weather starting.

Anyway, yesterday I faced one of those small "5 minute jobs" that I knew would be a PITA and put off for years .. namely taking out the drivers seat because it had become loose in the rails and was rattling, shaking when driving, very irritating. OF COURSE MY BACK HURTS, I expected that because it is awkward, the seat is fairly heavy and tweaking the seat base legs was a trial and error job requiring the repetitive job of taking the seat in and out of the rails about 15 times before hitting the sweetspot so it fits in the runner rail snugly.

Thank God I dont do this for a living because if I did I would need to charge a 100 bucks just to cover the hours of labor!

Its gotta be done and I am glad its done. Back to work tomorrow so gonna be taking the bends slightly faster on my 8 mile drive there! KEEP ON BUGGIN!
Len K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

took her out for a spin, first time the weathers been nice in a while.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ghianowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

made a custom length shift rod for a 68 auto stick to manual conversion
Kinleyps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Chased down the reason my charging system wasn't working... My alternator is externally regulated. Oops. Also cleaned my carburetor and now my purple majesty runs just like the year it was made Very Happy

'73 Super Beetle
fustilarsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Broke my daughter's exterior door handle (the little part that moves), thinking it wasn't locked (but it was). It's always been stiff, so I thought I was just being weak.

New one on its way -- I wonder if I can swap cylinders and keep the original key . . . or have the new one re-keyed to match the old . . . or transplant the little part that moves from the new/donor handle.

I did figure out that I could swap the broken driver's side handle with the working passenger's side handle until the new one arrives.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 364, 365, 366 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 365 of 449

Jump to: