Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 390, 391, 392 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I'm tackling multiple projects at the same time... Laughing

Recently pulled the problematic 2332 engine/4.12 trans and installed a freshly built stock 1641 with weber 32/36 and 3.88 trans. The car runs and drives fantastic now.

Started rolling the interior panels and floor pans with sound-deadening dynamat yesterday. (Ordered carpet for it over the weekend)
Door panels and stuff are all redone... just waiting for clips from jbugs.
Still need to source a good (radio delete) dash pad assy.

Today I just ordered 7/8" front + 3/4" rear sway bars, along with a strut tower brace... all from Topline. Hopefully the car drives a little flatter and safer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1968BUGMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Bought paint and primer for the shop to spray sometime in the next two weeks. The paint cost $470 in total, not bad but that is over 1/3 of the price that I paid for the car so...
Installing a Stereo Into a Classic VW | https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9502179#9502179
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Pulled my engine and put a new clutch disk in - works perfect now. Also re-ran my fuel line from the tunnel to the fuel pump with the correct hard line.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Naladahc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Murbella – Day 33 – And the parts continue to arrive!

The new build parts are flooding in today and tomorrow. I should have everything to start working on my short block by Friday afternoon.

The restored correct 205H distributor arrived from SparxWerks today and it is just a beautiful thing to behold.

I'm hoping it helps with me finally being able to get the timing down right, as the oddball 205T that was on the car (meant for a Non-US Type III of all things) always gave me minor issues. It worked, but hopefully this'll work a lot better.+-1+1
1979 VW Beetle - Murbella
1972 VW Super Beetle - Żuczek

Current Work: The Garage of Love™ - 1979 Beetle - Murbella Project Work

https://thegarageoflove.com/
https://www.facebook.com/murbellaandzuczek/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the 205 H. I use the 205 M's on my 1600 single port, single relief cases, as they always work well. I have 2 right now that I rebuilt, one on the car, the other in my road box. My carb is a Brosol H 30/31.

But I've been curious about the 205 T. It is vacuum and centrifugal advance, the 205 M is vacuum only. I am wondering what the advance cure would feel like with the T.
Naladahc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Jimbug57 wrote:
I'm not familiar with the 205 H. I use the 205 M's on my 1600 single port, single relief cases, as they always work well. I have 2 right now that I rebuilt, one on the car, the other in my road box. My carb is a Brosol H 30/31.

But I've been curious about the 205 T. It is vacuum and centrifugal advance, the 205 M is vacuum only. I am wondering what the advance cure would feel like with the T.

The 205H is the proper DVDA distributor for a 74-79 US Fuel-Injected Beetle.

I have no idea why a 205T was on the engine. It ran, but always was a little odd.

Only reason I changed was because I'm already doing a complete engine rebuild and FI parts restoration so I may as well ensure everything as close to stock ignition-wise as possible.

How in the world a 205T, which according to my research is from a 1970 Non-US Type 3 is beyond me!

I'm always amazed at what some prior owners have done. Or I suppose I should say the mechanics who may have worked on their vehicles.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I have a 205T on my Canadian 1969 1500 Beetle. As far as I can tell, it is the original distributer for my bug. I have a restored one coming in the mail from wcfvw69, aka Sparx Werks, that should arrive any day now. It is a single vacuum advance, paired with a 30 Pict 2 carb.
Naladahc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Big Bull Shooter wrote:
I have a 205T on my Canadian 1969 1500 Beetle.

I suspect a Canadian 205T ended up being installed somehow on my car back when it still lived in Oregon (decades ago).

My new SparxWerks restored one is very nice. He does amazing work.

diamondblue1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I put a used windshield in my 69 with new gasket !
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

diamondblue1969 wrote:
I put a used windshield in my 69 with new gasket !

Good job! Where did you get the gasket?
diamondblue1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

windshield gasket is a VEWIB from Cip1
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Son broke his accelerator cable on the freeway a few weeks ago. He's on lock-down, school is on his computer, so he didn't seem to care much.

I bought TWO replacement cables, new pads for the pedals, and then just ordered one of those replacement X-cellerator SpeedWheel assemblies.

If it's not something, it's something else.
Naladahc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Murbella – Day 34 – All the important bits are here!

Got all excited as the remainder of my key rebuild parts arrived after several delays due to rioting.

Other People’s Parts – More Used FI components

Got even more excited when shortly after UPS dropped off tons of stuff the USPS arrived with some used FI parts I got from Bugcity.com.

I'll be able to repair the damaged plastic casing on my original TPS and also have 1 functional spare and possibly 1 additional functional units in my inventory. (Not to get a spare functional Air Volume Sensor and I'll have backups for almost all critical L-Jetronic parts!)

Murbella – AJ Engine – Day 1

Finally started on the engine build when I realized that the main bearings just didn't feel right to me. I've built 2 other motors previously, one from a reused AH case and one from a new one, and yet there felt like a lot of play in the saddles.

I'm going to torque the case with the bearings to get some measurements to look for problems as well as go over any potential case warping again. My first inspection review lead me to believe it was fine and did not require a reboring but I'm not so sure. If I need one, I'm dead in the water for weeks if I use this case since the closest machine shop is almost 3 hours away or I just buy a brand new case. While I assume this engine has 137K on it, part of me wants to keep the AS21 case and another almost wants to just go with a new 0 mile one.

Naladahc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Busy day today in The Garage of Love™.

Murbella – Day 35 – It needs align bored.

Spent many hours this morning measuring the AJ case that I hoped to rebuild. I still think that it will be align bored and rebuild one day as a backup short block for my 79, but since there are no machine shops in a 180 mile radius, and my ultimate goal is to build an engine that will serve another 100K miles, I decided to purchase a new 0 mile case as the base. (The AJ case has at the minimum 137K on it.) This was not in scope, or in budget, but it is the best course of action given how much I'm spending already on the project.

- - -

Murbella – Day 35 – And a transaxle shall be dropped!

The transaxle was dropped and can now be taken to the rebuilder over 3 hours away.

The only major problem of the car when I got it in 2017 was that the synchros were started to go bad. She can difficult to go from 1st into 2nd, and then she sometimes pops out of gear. Plus I'm pretty sure some of the seals and gaskets ore leaking because I've cleaned up the gearbox under the car, didn't drive much, and would find drops of gearbox oil on the case itself. So I want all of that taken care of. The shop is going to rebuild the FI heads as well for the engine.

Zanerog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Hey guys new here. Just “bought” a completely hooned out 68 from a friend. Currently in rip-it-all-apart mode. Managed to get the motor out for a swap (engine was seized) and rims off/ sanded/ painted yesterday and today. Pictures of the bug when I got it, rims before/ after and current condition attached. Tires on Monday and hopefully new engine installed tomorrow.

Naladahc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Zanerog wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how some parts can so easily be brought back. Rims look great!

frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed new OEM shocks, set the toe, and took the bug out for a drive. Thrust, caster, and camber angles were all good so it was a pretty quick job.

Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Got around to changing my transaxle oil with Redline MT-90

my tools

Up it goes!
Naladahc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Today's main work, outside of degreasing more engine parts and tins, was and adventure in trying to make a gasket.

Murbella – Day 36 – First attempt at a gasket

I've made the most basic of one before, but this is my first attempt to try and do one correctly as close as possible to the shape of the original.

I have 3 total on the FI plenum that are no longer available

Not bad for a first attempt with this material.

I definitely learned I need sharper cutting instruments. A razor did not cut through it completely.

And buying the hole punches was one of the best things I could have done. One hammer blow and it went cleanly through the material.

I'll get some better tools and keep practicing. The gasket sealing the 2 plenum halves is going to need a lot hours in on practicing.

- - - - -

I also took another final pass at degreasing the transaxle. it is finally clean enough to move around.

The transaxle and FI heads will be driven to Jim's Custom VW tomorrow to be rebuilt.

Unfortunately, there are no experiencedVW machine shops left in central Ohio. I've got a 6 hour roundtrip tomorrow. Crying or Very sad

Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Naladahc wrote:
Today's main work, outside of degreasing more engine parts and tins, was and adventure in trying to make a gasket.

I've made the most basic of one before, but this is my first attempt to try and do one correctly as close as possible to the shape of the original.

I have 3 total on the FI plenum that are no longer available

Not bad for a first attempt with this material.

I definitely learned I need sharper cutting instruments. A razor did not cut through it completely.

And buying the hole punches was one of the best things I could have done. One hammer blow and it went cleanly through the material.

I'll get some better tools and keep practicing. The gasket sealing the 2 plenum halves is going to need a lot hours in on practicing.

I, too, had to remake the FI oil filler paper type gasket. Using a very sharp exacto knife with a hole punch did the trick in having it look correct. However, In my case, oil still did weep slightly. I looked all over the net looking for a direct replacement that was more of a rubber seal, all I could find was to purchasing another somewhat poorly designed oil filler that came with a rubber seal Rolling Eyes Next time the oil filler is taken off, the rubber type will go back on.

Best of luck on a nice oil tight seal!

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 390, 391, 392 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 391 of 449

Jump to: