Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BMFBMF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Made a little bracket to fix the RSA AA badge to my South African Beetle.

Nice to have a beetle that was made in the same Country as I was 😉.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1971 Stock South African Beetle 1300 : My mom's european "Thin Chick" spec. Completely stock with torsion bar front, swingaxle rear, smooth hubs, single MC, 40 mm shoes, 31PICT3 carb and 5 bolt drums all round, currently Running a 1976 SF:AS engine with the original SF:AD engine overhauled in a box, waiting to go back in one day.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

To minimize oil leaking while adjusting valves/installing new cork valve cover gaskets, i jack up the right side a little (just a couple of inches) to do #1 and #2, then jack up the left side a little to do #3 and #4.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Ajros
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Samba - Roxy post

Front Brakes
Full disclosure, I started yesterday. It was a rainy day so naturally I headed outside and worked on Roxy Very Happy

The passenger front wheel wasn't seized, but it wasn't turning by hand when the car was lifted. Figured the brakes weren't adjusted; we just picked her up earlier in the month so we're doing general maintenance.

Found the adjustment screws were practically seized/rusted into one piece, so I removed the drums, springs, backing plate, got to PB Blasting, removed and refurbished nearly every component.

Checked the wheel cylinders (no seepage), found the brake hose had cracks, but not leaking. Got a new one from Autozone, painted the backing plate, the adjusting screws, and called it a day.

Today I put the components together, re-used the brake shoes - they have meat on them yet and I’ll be either replacing both drums and pads in the spring, or going to a disc brakes. I also ordered brake lines to replace the hard line portions.

After installing the drums I proceeded to bleed the front lines. The pedal still had too much softness (went all the way down to the floor) and barely stopped the car. I put the car in gear (still on jacks), pressed the brake and it took a few seconds to actually stop it. I noticed a swooshing/squishy sound as I pressed the brake pedal, only to find the culprit for my inability to bleed the brakes - broken brake line right by the pedal, coming from the ‘firewall’ into the cabin.

THAT was enough to call it a day. Nothing I can do until the brakelines come in. I’ll fashion a grommet to stop the line from rubbing on the firewall, which I think is a good reason why it’s bleeding at that spot.

TL;DR: worked on the front brakes.

Ajros
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

whodunititmate wrote:
I haven't done anything yet but I do need to ask a bit of a dumb question. I've got minor oil leaks from both valve covers and was wondering if they could be removed without too much oil leaking out so that I can check the condition of the seals.

shouldn't have a ton of oil leaking out. put a rag or two underneath the valve cover, or a way to catch the oil that will come out, but it won't be a ton. I just did the same two days ago, removed the covers, adjusted the valves, cleaned/painted the covers, replaced the gaskets and re-installed.

Good luck!
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Rain was forecast for yesterday PM, so I deployed my new magnetic vent covers.
Sure enough, it rained overnight.

They worked like a charm. Cool

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plastikman187
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed the roof rack my wife gave me for Xmas.

OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed rain guard then went for a cruise

BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

BCE56 wrote:

Meanwhile I'll see about making the engine compartment more water resistant.

Fired up the Frankenbug. Smile
Drove to a local sign shop and purchased some flexible magnetized sheet.
Fashioned these prophylactic vent covers:

...for temporary use in case of rain or car washes.

'86 Syncro tintop

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Quote:
After two days of rain- crank but no start.
Considerable amount of water in engine compartment from decklid vents.

In the late '70's I had a new VW Scirocco. I remember driving through a large puddle (though not flooded) and the engine sputtered and stalled. The open-bottomed engine compartment allowed water spray to come up from the front tires. I coasted through the puddle to dry pavement. I had a small spray can of Kendall universal lube/water dispersant spray (like WD-40) in glovebox. I got out, raised the hood, sprayed the stuff onto the distrib cap which had no water protective cover; and the engine started almost right back up. A few years later I bought a new '81 Scirocco and it had a partial water shield around the distrib cap. I never experienced a stall-out in that one.

I also remember decades ago where there was an off-roader trick for Baja bugs to spray your (clean and dry) distrib cap and the plug wire caps that go into the cap with hairspray to prevent water staying on the surfaces.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

BCE56 wrote:
Distributor cap was dry inside but still no start.
Generator dust cover is absent and innards look damp.
(Not sure if wet generator would cause no start.)

Toweled up most of the water and removed the distributor cap.
It's stopped raining now and the decklid is up.
It might dry out enough to start if the rain holds off for a while.

I'm in Arizona, had two sets of engine lid vents, plus I had lid standoffs; just once in several decades did huge rain prevent mine from starting (cranked fine). By the next day, all was dry and it started right up.

So I'm saying likely will dry out and be fine by itself, like when the pump motor on my above-ground pool gets wet in a big storm (now I have a little table covering that, call that my "pool table").
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Distributor cap was dry inside but still no start.
Generator dust cover is absent and innards look damp.
(Not sure if wet generator would cause no start.)

Toweled up most of the water and removed the distributor cap.
It's stopped raining now and the decklid is up.
It might dry out enough to start if the rain holds off for a while.

'86 Syncro tintop

GE90DC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed fuel smell kit, with helpul hints. 72 super:

1. Purchase a 5gallon paint spout , Lowes #0505284/model 56181, superseded by a blue/gray part - model GPS5-PS, about 3.00
2. Put both "rubber bands" in hot water to soften
3. Cut 6-10 pieces, about 2" long, from 8" electrical tie-wraps
4. Put a rubber band on the green spout and work it up to the ribbed area (apologize for the condom undertones here)
5. Insert the 2" pieces between rubber and spout, space them all the way around
6. Insert spout into filler neck as shown, be sure to keep 2" pieces outside the filler neck
7. Work the rubber band onto the neck and remove tie-wrap pieces and spout.
8. Repeat process on tank neck, install new hose and all other kit items

The spout is an almost perfect fit into both neck and fill pipe. This became a 10 minute job instead of one I was dreading to do !
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Got a dusting of snow last night so this morning I put it on stands and gave it the annual Fluid Film underside bath. Used 4 rattle cans of the black FF, easy to see where you still need to cover. Did wheel wells, strut towers, frame head, firewalls, running boards, heater channels, all seams in those areas, frame spaces all around the motor compartment, underside of the package tray, trans mount, inner and under side of both bumpers, and other spots here and there. Quite a sticky mess, going to get very dirty over the coming weeks as winter takes hold.

Also, need to change the transmission fluid - have 32k miles on it since I last changed it.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Remounted the seatbelt retractors. (Ignored the Empee instructions this time.)
Belt routing to avoid unsatisfactory twists required some trial and error.

Replaced the engine lid seal. (Much easier than the trunk seal.)

Adjusted the headlights slightly.
Frankenbug was delivered w/ cheap-looking multi-element LEDs installed by PO.
A pair of used sealed beams, and also a pair of H4 assys came with the car.
I ditched the LEDs in favor of the H4s some time ago but seldom drive this car at night, so have been adjusting headlights incrementally.
The flat glass lenses are marked "motorcycle." Question
They throw a wide, dense pattern with a distinct flat cutoff at the top.

'86 Syncro tintop

OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Swapped 6014 sealed beams for LED with DRL and additional TURN

stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

This look really cool.
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Body Color Dash Inserts

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

stagewex wrote:
Nice.
I was just thinking about doing some 12V Christmas Lights on my SB tomorrow. I do not have a roof-rack so it'll have to be McGyvered.

Link

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Nice.
I was just thinking about doing some 12V Christmas Lights on my SB tomorrow. I do not have a roof-rack so it'll have to be McGyvered.
runscx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 449

Jump to: