Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 355, 356, 357  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctknecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Today 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
CTK, the only thing that's ever worked for me to get a solid pedal with a single push is to
1.)tighten both adjusters on all 4 tires so that you can't turn the tires by hand; 2.)pump the brakes a couple of times between tightening of each wheel's adjusters.
3.) Bleed each wheel using the one person pump while you bleed method; follow the order of the Bentley manual for your model car;
4.) back of the adjusters a click at a time per wheel until the wheel drags but you can turn it w/out getting a hernia.

This worked for me on my two Supers over the last couple of months. I have great brakes now, no double-pumping needed.

vamram, thanks for the tip responding to my need to pump the brakes to stop even after adjusting a bleeding. We finally got around to doing this and the brakes work so much better now (for drum brakes that is). Sadly, this was the first thing we attempted to do when we bought the car in March so it was reasonably safe. Ultimately, we rebuilt all 4 of them completely and learned a lot along the way.

In the process of this last adjustment/bleeding, we had to replace the brake light switches. Right after we finished adjusting and bleeding, my son took it out for a drive and I noticed the brake lights not working...he was so disappointed we had to park it again until repaired.

All good now. Brake lights work and even the brake warning light is working properly now. I replaced both switches with the 3 pronged switches. The PO had improperly wired the 2 prong versions, which is possible, but has to be done a certain way. Along with improper wiring, he was only using 1 switch for the brake warning sensor (concept works off differential of the 2 sensors so it never would have worked his way) and the other switch for the brake lights (rather than running them in parallel and having redundancy for the lights).

Next we need to work on the oil leak (we think is coming from the oil cooler seals), the interior (floors and dash panel/gauges), and then the suspension (everyone keeps telling us our bug looks great lowered, LOL Very Happy ).
Solex 30 PICT 3 Carburetor
Bosch 113905205AD autostick distributor (DVDA)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Today 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Keep an open mind continue to learn. Very Happy

Good advice. I tell engineering students that the diploma is just an indication that the school thinks you have the ability to learn. You have to then continue as a life-long learner.
Matt Brutosky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Finally got the factory rear defrost window back in after having to replace the rear package tray/firewall. And got the redwood headliner in (still needs to have screw holes filled, sanded and oiled) because I am horrible at installing bow hung headliners.
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
73SlowBug wrote:
Went on a nice roadtrip with wife and daughter to Junebug at Mohnton PA. The motor feels good! Pulls strong! There were plenty of friendly vendors at the show. Got some new door seals and a new antenna. Door seals installed. Adjusted clutch when I got home. I had no freeplay at all, and clutch was not fully engaging. Slipping at high load in 4th gear. I'm hoping that was all I needed, and not a new clutch.

Eh! If you couldn't smell the clutch. You'll likely be ok.
But, yea. They need a bit of adjusting. Once in a while.

Good Luck.

Nope, couldn't smell the clutch. I hope you're right.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Yesterday 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Purdy Glenn! I'd be happy if ANYTHING looked that good after 12 years of my "care"... Wink
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Yesterday 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Removed the carbs to have them rebuilt after 12 years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

iRide4Sue.org Please Donate to fight Cancer. $31,000 raised in 2018, hoping for the same in 2019
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

73SlowBug wrote:
Went on a nice roadtrip with wife and daughter to Junebug at Mohnton PA. The motor feels good! Pulls strong! There were plenty of friendly vendors at the show. Got some new door seals and a new antenna. Door seals installed. Adjusted clutch when I got home. I had no freeplay at all, and clutch was not fully engaging. Slipping at high load in 4th gear. I'm hoping that was all I needed, and not a new clutch.

Eh! If you couldn't smell the clutch. You'll likely be ok.
But, yea. They need a bit of adjusting. Once in a while.

Good Luck.
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I got together with friends and we learned how to assemble and test VW transaxle as taught by a retired mechanic with 50 + years of experience. The day you stop learning or think you know it all is the day you start dying. Keep an open mind continue to learn. Very Happy

brotheratkhesahn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

When I went to look at and test drive the '73 SB I eventually bought, the PO mentioned the "Super Beetle Shimmy". I didn't notice it when I took it for a spin and after purchasing it, on the hour drive home it was barely discernible. Upon arriving home, my buddy that had rode with me to get the car and followed me home on my Jeep says that the brake lights on the SB stopped working on the way. A little diagnostics and I figured out that a switch on the master cylinder was bad. Replaced them, pulled the wheels and tires to bleed the brakes and I was good. Until I drove it. Major front end shake. So I perused the forums here and ran across the most logical solution, numbering the lug bolt holes on the rim and brake drum and trying different combinations. Bingo! No more shimmy. Thanks Samba!
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Today I investigated why I have no flow from my drivers side defrost vent. All the hoses were intact and the flaps worked like they are supposed to but still no flow. I probed down into the duct at the corner of the windshield with a length of stiff wire. I hit an obstruction about 12" in. The same wire went all the way down to the heater channel on the passenger side. So, OK something is blocking. I figured... Mouse nest. So I disconnected the 3 hoses from the crow's foot 3-way split. In the one that feeds the defrost vent in the corner of the windshield I found this:

A Mexican 10 Peso coin, 1976 vintage.

Just the right size to fit down the hose but too big to go into the plastic of the crow's foot. There was also a weird bent wire thing, looked like a big bobby pin that was jammed in there as well. My wife identified it as a Hot roller clip for setting hair. Said she hasn't seen one of those since the 1970's. Well, sure.

This is the third Mexican coin I have found during the build of this Bug. I found this One Peso coin when I took the fresh air box out.

First coin I found was a cincuenta centavos coin that fell out of somewhere while rolling the body to work on the heater channel bottom plate.

All three.

Gotta love previous owners.

Good flow from the drivers side vent now. Also the other vents are flowing heated air.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 on 1969 chassis
1973 Beetle Standard project, Marina Blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I put the urethane bushings in the freezer over night, then split them with the bandsaw.

Drilled the spring plate's missing hole.

Blasted and painted more stuff. Broke down the other old spring plate.

Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

The steering stabilizer came in, so after locating some hardware, it was fitted.

Continuing to degrease, blast and paint components.

Mocked up the spring plate. Notice anything missing in this picture?

volkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

finally fixed my sagging driver seat bottom by swapping out the springs from a extra passenger side seat I had. Its much better driving level than sloped to the left, haha.
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Blasted parts today until the air compressor quit. The starting capacitor was leaking oil, but a new one didn't fix.
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Volcrew wrote:
Started the messy task of breaking down the IRS. Disassembled the backing plate and threw in the parts washer; tomorrow the clean parts will go in the blast cabinet. Pressed out the control arm bushings. Didn't get the stub shaft out yet; my puller is about half inch too short.

Smacking it w/a block of wood and a hammer has worked for me w/out any damage to the stub axle.

Thanks for the tip. This bug restoration is new to me, so I appreciate the help.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Volcrew wrote:
Started the messy task of breaking down the IRS. Disassembled the backing plate and threw in the parts washer; tomorrow the clean parts will go in the blast cabinet. Pressed out the control arm bushings. Didn't get the stub shaft out yet; my puller is about half inch too short.

Smacking it w/a block of wood and a hammer has worked for me w/out any damage to the stub axle.
'64 Sedan - SOLD 5/2014
'72 Sedan - (1985-'8Cool rear-ended by the Boss, RIP
'72 Ruby Red Super - Stolen 1988
'66 Yellow Sedan - sold 1988
Save the Supers!!
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

No. I went back to the beginning (finding TDC, setting the distributor, etc) but it never started. Then I had an event to get to, so had to stop.

I'll dive back in tomorrow.
VW_Jimbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
https://youtu.be/ql78ezP6UT8

Whoops!

I have some ignition timing issues... Laughing

Yep! That was bad timing on the horn chiming in!!!

Did you get it to start?

1955 Bug with Semaphores (Sold), 1968 Bug (Sold), 1972 Squareback (Sold), 1973 Super Beetle (Freeway accident - totaled), 1979 Rabbit (Sold), 1970 Bug Cal style (Sold), current project is a 1970 Bug

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 355, 356, 357  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 357

Jump to: