Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
train99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I like reading the What did you do to your bus today thread and think we bug owners need a similar thread so I'm starting one.

Wednesday the bug started making a grinding noise at idle. Thursday I went out and took the belt off to check the generator. Clicking and nasty sounding. The back of the pulley was eating into the generator bushing. The noise was the back of the pulley hitting the screw heads on the generator. Went and bought a generator and a new pulley. The key was OK though.

Took everything out and decided since I had the shroud off, I'd put the Hoover Bit that I'd ordered months ago on, and the plug wires looked old so I got new ones, and since I was pulling the plug wires off, I decided to change the plugs too. Went back to BAP and bought the plug wires and plugs. Went to AutoZone and "rented" a big socket to take the fan off. Their rental is you buy the tool, and then bring it back for a refund.

Went back home and couldn't get the damn fan off the shaft.

Today I got up and took the generator with the fan and backing plate attached over to the VW place up the street. Doug's Bugs. I never been there before, but I drive by every day. Doug loosened the nut for me and gave me some advice. No charge.

While I was there, I decided to get some Sound board. Mine looks ratty and has paint over spray on it. For $40 it will make the engine compartment look a little better. Out of stock.

Out of stock everywhere in town. I'll order some so it's here next time I have the opportunity to install it easily.

Went home started swapping the generator parts, and decided to clean everything before I got too dirty. An hour with the hand cleaner and a stiff brush and all the grease was gone from the shroud and related parts. I think it's all under my fingernails now.

While everything was drying, I swapped the plugs and plug wires.

Mounted it all back in, polarized the generator, and started it up.

Put the deck lid back on - took me 45 minutes with the sun glaring on me and I gave up with only three nuts in. It closes without hitting and I was tired of messing with it. I'd mounted it and taken it off three times to move the brackets. The fourth time will be next month when it's less than 110 out there.

Car runs good.

So what did you do to your bug this week?
Tery

Last edited by train99 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove it and enjoyed it. Dancing
ts88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tery, I did an oil change, cleaned the inside, washed the out side(sat in it and drank a beer when I was done) ok 4 beers, hehehe.

I think I need to replace the master cylinder(again) if so It will be the 4th one ( but I am getting good with the swap out)

Tery what side of town do you live in. Pat

There is no sense in being stupid if you can't prove it.

"To call an illegal immigrant an "undocumented alien" is the same as calling a streetcorner drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".
BDSBSS23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked on my sunroof due to my crushed sunroof i had and i bought a used one. I put on the used one and it works ok just a little bit work to make it smooth as butter. I worked on my pedal cluster by swapping to different pedal cluster. Because the one i had is the wrong one and i found one from a super beetle 74 so now my gas pedal is now complete with pads instead of big fat ugly roller. I helped my friend with his 65 bug to get it running but the points were bad so tomorrow i cross my fingers that it will run with new points.
Pillar repair with 65 bus
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=530360
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ts88 wrote:
Hi Tery, I did an oil change, cleaned the inside, washed the out side(sat in it and drank a beer when I was done) ok 4 beers, hehehe.

I think I need to replace the master cylinder(again) if so It will be the 4th one ( but I am getting good with the swap out)

Tery what side of town do you live in. Pat

What brand of master are you using?
DBO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke the window crank knob off of both my brand new wolfsburgwest window cranks.
dvd bling player from a wrecked volvo
got the car for 600 bucks running with centerline auto drags that cost twice as much as the car. gotta love La
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
'69 baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my '69 baja bug i removed the flywheel put in a new main seal today.Then i put on a brand new clutch setup.Tomorrow im going to put in a new transmission input shaft seal and then finish rewiring the car and hopefully putt around my backyard for a little while(if i put the main seal in right Sad )

'69-'07 Baja Fireblade

Last edited by '69 baja on Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDodge7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i removed all the doghouse stuff from my donor 1600 engine to add to my 1500 . better cooling woo hoo .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ts88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand of master are you using?[/quote]

Hi Jim, the first 2 were from BAP, the 3rd was from Auto Zone. Pat

"To call an illegal immigrant an "undocumented alien" is the same as calling a streetcorner drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".
BDSBSS23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains it, get german MC from Wolfsburgwest i bought it and it hasnt fail on me.
Pillar repair with 65 bus
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=530360
fastinradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adjusted my valves. It has been 5,000 miles so I had been putting it off, turns out they were all still within exact specs. It made me happy.
train99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ts88 wrote:

Terry what side of town do you live in. Pat

Mesa. I try to go out to the KMart cruise on Saturday evenings. Power and Hampton Roads. 5-7PM
mack519
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stared at it because i was too lazy to go get a new shifter bushing after buying a shitty non-german one.
JHZMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used my friends 4 poster lift to get under de bug. Replaced the lower panel on the frame head. Took 4hrs to do it right. Found a leaking steering dampener. Will replace today. AND I found out that there is no thermostat on the engine and I am missing a ton of tin. Some broken and some missing. Another PO ingenious attitude, if it's not there it doesn't have to work.

OLD FOGGIE
04 SILVERADO
73 STANDARD BEETLE
33 CHEVY SEDAN
69 FIREBIRD 400
31 FORD SEDAN
29 FORD ROADSTER
68 CAMARO
70 FORD 302 MUSTANG
gregthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanded my hood. Pondered buying a new one!!!!! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ts88 wrote:
what side of town do you live in. Pat

I'm in NE Phoenix. My last MC (maybe 10 years ago) was a Checker or AutoZone rebuilt, lifetime warranty. BAP was farther away, and didn't have that warranty. That was before I has Internet, to shop that way.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
BRUISER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARKED IT Sad

front of car is low so I can not easily see front tires and when I got home i got under to check a noise i heard and guess what?
my tires are out of alignment and my front passenger tire is wore very very bad(almost totally bald).. so looks like i need to get some new front tires and then align it...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72SuperBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: What Did You Do to Your Bug Today? Reply with quote

One of the car mags ran an article about doing something to your car everyday, whether it be actual work or reading something or buying a part and the like. Sounds like a good idea. It keeps the spirit of the car movement alive, plus it moves you a step forward toward getting your ride the way you want it. By the way, what I did today was locate the fog light switch I want to install, and if I don't have to cut the grass, I'll install it!
ts88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
ts88 wrote:
what side of town do you live in. Pat

I'm in NE Phoenix. My last MC (maybe 10 years ago) was a Checker or AutoZone rebuilt, lifetime warranty. BAP was farther away, and didn't have that warranty. That was before I has Internet, to shop that way.

Hi Cusser, I'm in Glendale, The BAP masters suck, I won't get any thing from them unless I have to to get back on the road in a hurry. Pat

Beaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched mine get a major rain bath for the 4th straight day from the last outer bands of Tropical Storm Fay.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 449

Jump to: