Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 347, 348, 349 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Took the zoom tube out of storage and installed it on my '74. I swear, it feels like I doubled it's HP!! Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I looked out the door to make sure it was still resting.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

On my '77 Standard Beetle today:
Finished up the rear wheel brake repairs which I started last fall due to a low brake pedal; consisting of replacing the wheel cylinders and center hub seals. Brake shoes were still good with over half thickness so I reused them. Drums were bead-blasted over the winter and I had recently painted them with MasterSeries silver, then Rust-O-Leum satin black. Bled the brakes and adjusted the shoes to the drums, and verified the handbrake operation.

Replaced the large fuel filler overflow hose which was porous and seemed to be the cause of fuel odors after filling the tank. Bought a foot-long section of Gates 5/8" ID fuel-rated hose, which I cut to length and went on easily. Checked the fuel output hoses around the tank for leaks (none found).

Since I had the trunk cardboard liner out for the fuel tank pipe work, I scrubbed the accumulated dirt with SimpleGreen and a kitchen scrub brush. Set it out on the sunny driveway so it dried in about 10 minutes. Noticed the horizontal surface had some spots where it was slightly worn. Painted the worn spots, then the entire horizontal surface with satin black Rust-O-Leum which was slightly glossier than the original surface. While the paint was tacky and still drying, I sprayed on a light coat of flat black. Now that was "too" flat a finish, but since this is a driver car and not a show-goer, I'll leave it.

Scrubbed some surface corrosion off the distributor body using brass-bristle detailing brush and WD-40.

Removed the alternator pulley due to flaking black paint, wire-wheeled the paint off and repainted it with Rust-O-Leum self-etch primer and semi-gloss black. Will let it dry overnight.

Fitted chromed "holed" aftermarket window cranks. The black plastic knobs had a distinct manufacturing mold parting line along the circumference which was irritating to my fingers when cranking the knob, so I filed the line off with a fine file, then rubbed the edge with 220 wet sandpaper. Aftermarket... Confused
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

changed right door seal.thought about adjusting the valves.
ShaneS2992
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Changed leaking fuel pump gaskets... over torqued and broke part of the flange around the bolt... get to do the whole thing all over again in a few days... Embarassed
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

changed trans gear lube. drove around.drove around more came home, took kid to say good by to grandmaw(kid borded a plane to Buenos Aries a hour ago) . Im still thinking about doing a valve adjustment....oil is about 2 years old too. perhaps some day Ill get around to it. Nothing like a maintenance free car. ( I built the trans about 3 1/2 years ago & meant to change gear lube a year and a half ago.... wtf it's a daily driver.)
puddle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Started it for the first time in 3 years. Fired right up and purred like a kitten after I figured out that the battery was toast. Still not 100% back together but the neighbors are moving so I'm loosing the garage space. Oh well got my ass in gear to make it mobile again. Maybe I'll even make room in my garage for it Rolling Eyes
ShaneS2992
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Changed out the tail light lenses yesterday.

Today I lubed up the speedo cable to stop a new whizzing sound and the car wouldn't start in the lowes parking lot so I had to adjust the points... they're getting changed as soon as I get a new one and a spare...
Blue66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

changed out rubber gas lines for new ones. My 71 convertible hasn't run in 15 years but started right up once I cleaned and reset the points. Next task is to start on brakes. Car only has 68,000 miles, should be good project.
bobinphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

It was a good day.
last November I picked up a swap meet single port manifold. It is from a 1970 type one and has a vacuum port!. I have a 69 1500 and its original manifold had clogged heat risers and was too short. The new manifold also had clogged risers, so I cleaned them out. I also painted the new one with dark ford gray high temp paint. All that was months ago.

Today I peeled off the deck lid, pulled the carb, pulled the shroud and pulled the old manifold (with clogged heat riser). I put the new manifold in, added a fuel cutoff solenoid to the carb (because the carb is now high enough) and changed the fan as well. Put it all back together and it ran like a champ! I must say that the high temp paint sure does smell when it first gets hot.

I also cleaned up a bit of wiring in the front end. I couple of months ago, I put in a relay so that I could turn on the radio without the keys in the ignition, so I mounted the relay. I also made a small ground buss bar to clean up some of the new ground wires for the stereo etc.

I also took out the gas tank sender and really gave it a cleaning. I took off the vibrator and cleaned those contacts too. The only bad part was that the sender gasket was shot to heck. Of course in my stash of parts, there was no gasket to be found (but I did make a huge mess of the garage floor looking!). I bit of aluminium tape over the gaping hole, at least let me drive up and down the street. New gasket in the morning!

It was a good day.
DGRBLU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Got the turn signals and dome light working today.
Added power to pin 15 on the flasher switch from the fuse box, which was previously grounded to a body screw in the trunk.
ShaneS2992
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Changed the condenser and points. Changed the oil as well due to fear of gas getting in the sump... I think it happened while I was changing the fuel pump gaskets because I'm dumb and didn't get the lines plugged fast enough... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by ShaneS2992 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Tightened up a loose fuel nipple on my left hand carb. When I pulled out today, I noticed a dark tar like substance on the ground. Where did that come from? Well, the fuel leaked onto the tarboards and disolved them just a little bit, allowing the drips of fuel to resemble real dirty oil, on the ground.

Tightened the nipple and all is good!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
DGRBLU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Found that the previous owner had cut the back up lights switch, ran new wire and added the inline fuse...now the lights work...
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I took the polished nasty shit for quality CMS fronts and put them on my mill and programed the dro to add 8, equally spaced 1 1/4" holes around them and then made them satin instead of polished shit.( wavy, funkey,not straight for shit when new) I also attempted to straighten them.....I think I got them withen .015" Ill have to mount them on something to find out for sure....also ordered some new sumitio's for them,185-65's.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Added just under a quart of oil to the '74...a litre perhaps? This engine likes to eat about a quart/1000-1500 miles.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Added just under a quart of oil to the '74...a litre perhaps? This engine likes to eat about a quart/1000-1500 miles.

Per the owner's manual, that's actually pretty good V.

"Oil consumption: 1.7-3.4 pints[0.85-1.7 quarts] per 1000miles"

Just keep the old horse watered and fed, as they say. Very Happy
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Better pull out ye' ol' manual. I swear the '72 could go at least 2k before I had to add any.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Fabtabulous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I been trying to figure out what year I have. Purchased in a storage auction. I didn’t find a title but lucky me the keys were in the car😀Any help would be fabulous
FabTabulous, Mississippi

Last edited by Fabtabulous on Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Hope you got a good deal with the Baja. Looks like it's complete and should run with minimal effort. Will be a fun car when you get it roadworthy.
First photo clues:
-Windshield wipers park towards the passenger side- original 6 volt electrical system; thru '66. As of '67 the wipers park to the driver's side.
-Front anti-sway bar ('60 on)
-Stock-appearing sunroof (thru '63; in '64 a metal sliding sunroof started) though it is not difficult to weld in an assembly onto a non-sunroof car
-Aluminum inside rear view mirror- thru '66. '67 had a slightly different "stem"

Chassis #: Here is a list per model year and month-
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

Since the chassis# listed is the LAST one for that month, yours falls into April 1963, making the model year (at least the body; we don't know if the chassis# of the PAN matches) a 1963.

Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 347, 348, 349 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 348 of 449

Jump to: