Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 348, 349, 350 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Progressed with repairs to my '77 Beetle: Replaced the windshield by myself Shocked . Took 3 attempts. Bought a German-made windshield seal from BugCity in CT as well as a green-tint domestic NOS windshield. Watched the windshield installation video from ClassicVWBugs for general orientation. Fed a vinyl-coated "dog run" wire into the seal channel, and lubed it generously with WD-40. First attempt, the entire top edge did not seat at all. 2nd attempt, the windshield was off-center about 1/2" and I could not "push/slap" it over enough. At the 3rd attempt the windshield finally seated easily except for an approx 12 inch long section at the upper passenger side. I worked the seal over the body seam using a narrow plastic push tool from the inside with my left hand while pushing against the glass with the other hand. A well-earned beer when I finished.

Transferred over the current NY registration sticker from the cracked original windshield. Saw a YouTube video of a guy simply heating up the outer surface of the windshield for no more than 2 seconds with a propane torch. This heated up the sticker's adhesive edges enough on the inside glass surface to make it pliable, and he used a razor to lift up an edge. Then he peeled off the entire sticker by hand. Sure enough, this worked for me also.

Also installed a stainless steel "band clamp" for the outer bushing of the HD front swaybar. Bought a new urethane bushing set and the clamps from aircooled.net. They both fit very well. The original factory-style clamp had rusted through, and the original bushing was fractured. The other 3 retaining clamps are still usable.

Installed LED rear blinker bulbs, Sylvania ZEVO #7506 SuperBights. Dang if they did not seat right away in the taillamp bulb holders. Saw that there was a soldering "nib" at the top section of the base which was preventing the bulb to sit deep enough in the socket. A few strokes of a file removed the nibs and the bulbs fit fine. Noticeable improvement with blinker light brightness.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Great points, but it's a '64 or earlier. Wipers went to the driver side in '65. To the OP, post in the pre-'68 forum and you'll find all I need to know about the car. Do I have a clean title?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fabtabulous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Fabtabulous wrote:
I been trying to figure out what year I have. Purchased in a storage auction. I didn’t find a title but lucky me the keys were in the car😀Any help would be fabulous
FabTabulous, Mississippi
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I want to think I got a good deal $1700 for the whole unit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

[quote="Fabtabulous"]
Fabtabulous wrote:
I been trying to figure out what year I have. Purchased in a storage auction. I didn’t find a title but lucky me the keys were in the car😀Any help would be fabulous
FabTabulous, Mississippi

I'm not particularly familiar with Mississippi DMV/DOT laws, but....

Vehicles are titled property- regardless of how it came into your possession:

No title = No ownership.

There may be some sort of technically in which you can obtain a duplicate title, but until you have a clear, clean title in your name; I wouldn't put any money or effort into that baja. Call your DMV ASAP to determine your options.

Again, depending on exactly what and how Mississippi law views that car and how you bought it- you could be (legally speaking) in possession of a stolen car. Whoever has that title may have the legal grounds to report it stolen and sighted in your yard and get it right back if they still have a title in their name.

Don't mean to be a JohnnyRainCloud, but I just don't want to see you put $$$, time and effort into it only to have some guy show up with a piece of paper and the cops to gleefully drive away with it afterwards.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Fabtabulous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Fabtabulous wrote:
Fabtabulous wrote:
FabTabulous, Mississippi

In the state of Mississippi when the unit is unpaid it becomes their belongs and they have the right to sell the property in the unit and with my invoice I can apply for a bonded title.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Bought a new headlight switch. A cheap IAP from Rock Auto to throw in the 68 until I can tear down the old one and find out where it's shorting.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I had the VW parked in the garage for a week, discovered that the reverse light switch on the transmission was leaking gear oil. I had a 22mm box wrench, so I tightened that up and will see if that takes care of that.

I also tightened up the six cap nuts and the drain plug on the oil cover, just a few weeks since my oil change, and there was a small amount of leakage there.
Yep, did consider that it might be the switch - this was the switch and aluminum seal that came with the rebuilt transmission. I do have the factory switch and used aluminum seal from my 1970 transmission here though, so if tightening or a seal doesn't do it, I'll try that switch before getting a brand-new one.

I doubt that it's tapered threads, believe that switch has 18 x 1.5mm threads; if tapered threads like pipe threads, would be no need for an aluminum seal/ring. Aluminum and copper are softer than seal, used to be "crushed".

Leak

Anyway, I drove the VW about 10 miles on errands to get it warmed up, left it sitting on the driveway, no oil or gear oil leaks. So I'll need to check it again in about a week.

No other leaks, no front oil crankshaft seal leak observed.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Redid the front light wiring. When I put the LED headlights in with the angel eyes, turn signals went all wonkey. Ground issues, and low power draw caused all kinds of pain. Replaced a bunch of wire, connectors, and cleaned ground points. Much better.

Still have fast flash on one side, going to see if sticking a resistor or another filament bulb somewhere will fix it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I had the VW parked in the garage for a week, discovered that the reverse light switch on the transmission was leaking gear oil. I had a 22mm box wrench, so I tightened that up and will see if that takes care of that.

Yep, did consider that it might be the switch - this was the switch and aluminum seal that came with the rebuilt transmission. I do have the factory switch and used aluminum seal from my 1970 transmission here though, so if tightening or a seal doesn't do it, I'll try that switch before getting a brand-new one.
I'll need to check it again in about a week.

No other leaks, no front oil crankshaft seal leak observed.

UPDATE: checked this morning. STILL A LEAK AT THE REVERSE SWITCH.

Since I still have the original transmission here, I decided to swap over its reverse switch to the new transmission; I also sanded smooth the original aluminum seal from it. Then I laid out a big sheet of cardboard under the VW, jacked up the front end/jack stands so to get away from any gear oil that may leak out doing the swap. I unscrewed the reverse switch from the VW and removed the reverse switch: guess what, there was NO ALUMINUM SEAL or any type of washer there, triple checked on the transmission case, the cardboard, the garage floor, as I'd been very careful.

So even though it seems to me that Dorman 65275 M18 copper seal (from O'Reilly, bought a pack yesterday) is same size, decided to try the sanded-smooth original aluminum seal with my original reverse switch. It takes experienced fingers to get that reverse switch threaded in while transmission is installed, so I had to be patient. So that's how it is now, we'll see; most likely the leak there was due to missing seal, not a leaky reverse switch itself.

A small engine oil leak wouldn't bother me as much, as engine oil is so much easier to add. Plus, this new transmission has a one-year warranty, but that doesn't mean I can "let it" lose all its gear oil and still claim warranty; and I don't want to do a transmission R&R again !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

That is it! That missing crush washer would be the issue. Glad it was an easy fix!

Who rebuilt the tranny? Thinking I may need to get one, if mine is unbuildable.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
That is it! That missing crush washer would be the issue. Glad it was an easy fix!

Yep, hoping that takes care of it. I'm thinking it will.

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Who rebuilt the tranny? Thinking I may need to get one, if mine is unbuildable.

I'm in Arizona, and would've used Arizona Transaxle here but they are backed up like 4 weeks.

I didn't want to deal with shipping my old transmission core to California and then "hoping" to get my full $$$ back, otherwise I likely would've used KCR or Rancho in California.

I chose MoFoCo for my transmission as (1) they sell without a core so I can save my core or sell it outright
(2) MoFoCo actually runs the transmission in a vehicle, checks for smooth shifting or jumping out of gear, don't think others actually do this.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Loaded it up on a trailer to put at a friend's house while we move to our new house.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I didnt feel like working much today so...I took bug out for a nice drive...a little playing....took the wife to a chineessee restaurant for lunch.and of course a trip to wally world for a few groceries.. it's hot as snot and the air is thicker than icecream, but the car runs like it's a cool spring day. It must of been the day of rest yesterday....well atleast it got a day of rest.
ShaneS2992
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Took apart the speedometer after it died from a whizzing sound and all I ended up fixing were the gels that had been burnt through and cracked... still doesn't show speed or track milage... any known threads on rebuilding a speedo as apposed to sending it off?? Still a newbie so I could be missing the keywords when I search...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Speedometer repair

http://kentuckyhotwheels.com/1969-vw-beetle-speedometer-rebuild/

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327535
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Got rear ended driving to work this morning in my ‘74 standard. Bent the rear bumper and pushed it all the way in on the shocks and pushed the ends into the rear fenders. Can’t open the hood with the bumper pushed all the way in, so either have to find a way to pull the shocks back out, or remove the entire bumper so I can gain access to engine and make sure all is good. Was able to drive it the mile or so home, but before driving anymore I want to do an inspection and make sure everything looks good and none of the fuel lines are compromised.
Bad back to start with with seven prior surgeries, so really sore now.
ShaneS2992
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Speedometer repair

http://kentuckyhotwheels.com/1969-vw-beetle-speedometer-rebuild/

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327535

Awesome! Thank you so much! I'll go through the steps when I get off work tonight. I couldn't find that good step by step one when I was searching and skimming through threads before I posted! I appreciate the guidance!
ctknecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

We finally got around to installing new spark plugs and wires this weekend. In the process we decided to change the AT vacuum hoses I bought a few weeks back (this was suddenly necessary since they were badly decayed and the reinforcing wires were exposed and cutting into my hands and arms as I was trying to replace plugs 3 & 4).

When it was all done, slight improvement in operation for both the engine and the transmission, so I'm happy we did it.

While it was up on the jack, I also replaced the suspension "bumpers", cleaned the Autostick vacuum reservoir.

I also began searching for the oil leak that seems to be getting worse. Not sure if piston 4 is the source of the issue, but seems to be...I changed the oil pressure relief valve plug and may have solved 1 small leak, but there is another puddle that still arrives after driving.

Funny how one project leads to another, and another, and another. . . Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Had 2 new Nexen SB802 tires installed and balanced for the front of my '74 to replace the 16 year/old tires that were on there, and match the rears I installed last year.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Laguna1116
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

A little late in posting but here goes.
I have a neighbor who has a brother-in-law who has a beetle. Unannounced, they knock on my door. My neighbor says they want me to look at his car. I'm thinking he has a problem that he needs help with. My neighbor says, "I know you like these and thought you might be interested in it." While looking the car over my wife comes out to see what's going on. Immediately she falls in love with the car. Her first car was a 1971 Super Beetle Sedan, this one is a 1971 Super Beetle Convertible. We made an offer and purchased the car on the spot.
The car has a 10+ year restoration, which I am finding several shortcuts were made, missing screws for door rubbers, missing bolt for rear seat back, no knobs on front seat backs to release, no knobs on heater control levers. A lot of little things, most of which have been addressed. We attempted to drive the car the 30 miles to El Prado last week end but she started pinging like it was running hot so we trailered the car home. I removed the engine to disassemble and inspect but I heard a noise I didn't like when I was turning it over by hand so I took it to Steve Tims' shop to have Greg look at it. Found out that the engine is 1835 cc, nice surprise. Awaiting return of engine so we can get the car back on the road. Taking the time to fix all of the "shortcuts" that were taken during the restoration.
1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Work in Progress
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 348, 349, 350 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 349 of 449

Jump to: