Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 358, 359, 360 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Did a nice freeway run with SharkDaughter. Held 75mph easily.

WOOT!

Did all the nuts and bolts. Stay in their respective locations?

Glad to hear that you had a good fun drive with the SharkDaughter.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Did a nice freeway run with SharkDaughter. Held 75mph easily.

WOOT!

Awesome!!!

That is a great feeling! Glad you got it done!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Took some inspiration off of TX-73's build thread again:

Installed the "courtesy" LED strip lights in the interior of the bug.

Wired the ground into the door switch circuit to come on/off with the doors open/closed.

They also throw some light outside the car when the door is open, so I also gained 'puddle' lights too Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
vdubguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

On Saturday morning I took my car for a little scoot & photo shoot. (sorry)
got some nice fall colour pics... just too bad the sun didn't come out.
DSC09126
DSC09143
DSC09111
IMG_3330
DSC09110
IMG_3314
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Beautiful!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Thursday is Mrs. Cusser's birthday, and the Steelers play on Thursday Night Football !!! Anyway, easier to find a new wife than a new team.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Got my IDAs back after being rebuilt.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Now the fun can start!

Any new mods or just a clean up?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Now the fun can start!

Any new mods or just a clean up?

They're in, only took 30 minute. You have no idea hjow tight they fit, but there are tricks and tools that make it possible.

Thanks to Justin and Dave @ Blackline Racing for making them look new again.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Discovered that my 50 year old fuel sender isn't accurate... Laughing

I know it's unlikely it's original. But it said it had a quarter tank when it ran out of gas. Called AAA, they brought me gas, and it fired right up. Electric pump for the win!

That sender's been kinda wonky for a while, but I had just put $20 in last weekend and figured I was fine. Embarassed
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I replaced the rear windshield seal. All fixed windows are now done, and both doors!

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed new passenger-side inner and outer window scrapers, felt glass guide, and lubricated the window regulator and door lock mechanism. Oh, and installed the new TMI passenger-side ivory door card w/a sapphire blue cloth insert and pocket.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
R1NG0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

New blinker relay to replace the factory one in my 74 super, new belt, and installed a hard start relay.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Washed it and took some pics.

73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Washed it and took some pics.

Cool baja. I'm gonna build one one of these days. Once my wife lwts me get another Volkswagen. I'd hate to see that car ever get dirty.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

The paint has clear coat failure all over the place. I need to paint it, but I want a new set of rear fenders first. The left side fender is busted up pretty good and both were cut to clear the tires.
Len K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

wiper arm replacement, air in the tires. took her for a quick spin..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I experimented with the single Weber 40DCNF fuel enrichment on my 1835cc engine, after running it without that for 42 years.

Last few years or decade I've noticed with the 1835cc engine with single Weber 40DCNF and German 009 had a little flat spot the first 10 minutes or so, worse when it's colder outside. I've always attributed this to carburetion issue, made worse that I have no thermostat/flaps and the Weber single intake manifold has no heat risers (it never did). So today I decided to experiment.

My Weber "fuel enrichment" was not mentioned in its instructions; I think it's something like a manual choke, so I looked into this today.

I tried to move this lever to the right, but it wouldn't move much, seemed stuck. So I removed the two screws, here's what it looked like:

The two levers engage in the recesses in the two brass cylinders; the one on the right (for #1 and #2) was stuck, had to pry to free that up. So when the lever moves to the right, the little brass cylinders move up accordingly.

I didn't have a new gasket for in there, and was too lazy to cut a new one, so I just coated it with a thin coat of Permatex Aviation and re-installed it. Then I set the lever to the mid-way position, and drove to Home Depot.

Well, the flat spot was gone, don't know if keeping in this position will overload fuel/make too rich on longer drives, but that's what experimentation is for !!! I'd be considering adding a manual cable to pull that lever to the right, and a stronger spring to bring the lever to the home position where it's been running since back in 1976.

I haven't played too much with any main jets since the late 1970s, so don't know if I have any larger mains, or even larger idle jets, around to try.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Discovered a fuel leak in the new pump. Turned out it was the screw-on filter it came with... The crimp was loose and seeping. Ripped it apart, threw out the craptastic filter, stuck a Wix 33031 on there, installed the pump bracket with an isolation mount to silence it, routed the fuel line close to center before turning to go around the fan shroud to give it more space from the exhaust, tested good.

What a PITA that was. lol.

OH... One of the nipples on the pump had a small white plastic ring inside. I thought maybe a check valve or something, since it was turned sideways inside, but no. Just random little plastic ring. Glad I caught that before it softened and worked its way into the carb.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Apparently I suck at tightening screws... But I got clamps on the Crappy Empi Exhaust. Did this tonight. Still in my work clothes. hehehe

https://youtu.be/_HoCgDKaJrg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 358, 359, 360 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 359 of 449

Jump to: