Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 389, 390, 391 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
I seriouly doubt it and I'm presently writing a rant about it.

Looking forward to that piece 10 years from now! Btw, where did you get the replacements? I ended up using the old sun-baked lenses on my '73 because the fit of the new ones was piss-poor.

[EDIT] WOW that didn't take long! Just saw your rant in the bad parts rant thread!! Shocked

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I'm waiting for my MC to show up Fedex, it's raining, and samba is somewhat easing my boredom. Though I'd post a pic of the dash panel I finished about 3 days ago.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Notice the defost switch light is lit green. I repurposed the switch for the Sirius XM radio power so I can have radio even with the key out of the car. The green light gives a visual indication if you've left it on. It's inline fuse protected. Everything else is only hot with the key on. I mounted the antenna on the hood under the passenger wiper arm. It works great and you can't even notice it.

The audio connects to a small bluetooth transmitter hardwired into the glove box. Then I mounted a JBL Flip 4 bluetooth speaker with velcro under the center of the dash above my console. Now I can take the keys and the speaker and get about 50 feet from the car with my tunes. I also hardwired a USB C charging cable tucked above the speaker so I can charge that while driving also.

The left-most button is the electric wind shield washer squirter - works like a champ.

After that is a cigarette lighter. Then a clock, and then a 4.2 amp dual USB charging jack.

All the panel wiring goes through an addition fuse block mounted on the
firewall.

I also fixed the mini heater controls spot light while I was at it.

I'm happy with the results; my tunes rock loud and clear!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Very nice on the XM radio!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

There's the washer tank I added.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Nice - do you have a link for it?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Nice - do you have a link for it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Windshield-Wash...Swh5Zcfdza

I didn't like the red dash button so I bought the black one here -

https://www.parts-express.com/momentary-no-raised-push-button-switch-black--060-642
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Got my engine almost back together after a flywheel replacement and balance job. Hopefully back.in the game tomorrow evening.

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Replaced the thermostat which failed my rebuilt 1600DP. First one I've ever had fail, but sure enough it failed OPEN! Very Happy

Good thing I have spares in my stash and Cuban coffee to start the day with!

[Except I use cane sugar, not that organic shit in the background.]

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Obviously it's not good that it failed, but it's good to see that it failed how it should!
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
volkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

took a decklid lock to a locksmith to be rekeyed today to match the key of my car. Locksmith couldn't figure out how to get the lock cylinder out without drilling out the one pin. They said If I could get it apart they would most likely re key it for me.
Went home looked on here on how to take it apart then realized just how easy it is to rekey so I did it myself. Saved $30 and feels good to do it myself.
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

volkz wrote:
took a decklid lock to a locksmith to be rekeyed today to match the key of my car. Locksmith couldn't figure out how to get the lock cylinder out without drilling out the one pin. They said If I could get it apart they would most likely re key it for me.
Went home looked on here on how to take it apart then realized just how easy it is to rekey so I did it myself. Saved $30 and feels good to do it myself.

Sweet! WTG Smile

Today I watched this video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obA6cNJnam4

Then I went and made it so my window goes up and down smoothly. Wish I could source new plastic guide bushings. Tomorrow I'll do the passenger side.

- Jim
Naladahc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Day 26 into my 5 month total rear end project covering suspension, brakes, transaxle repair and re-gasketing, as well as a complete engine rebuild and restoration of all my FI parts.

Today was about finishing up the first major cleaning pass, removing 41 years of grime off the plenum and throttle body.

Discovered some damaged plastic on the Throttle Body Sensor that I didn't notice at removal so I'll be looking for a replacement.
1979 VW Beetle - Murbella
1972 VW Super Beetle - Żuczek

Current Work: The Garage of Love™ - 1979 Beetle - Murbella Project Work

https://thegarageoflove.com/
https://www.facebook.com/murbellaandzuczek/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Naladahc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Murbella – Day 29 – Restored Exhaust Components

I picked up the restored exhaust components (original muffler, exhaust manifolds, and connecting pipes). They were blasted and then ceramic coated.

Matching the original yellow VW used on the manifolds was going to be more expensive so I settled on just matching the same tungsten gray of the heat exchangers. Muffler was done in a silver to try and match the original metal finish. I'm using an aftermarket tail pipe since that takes a lot of abuse due to the steep grade up my driveway.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Naladahc wrote:
Murbella – Day 29 – Restored Exhaust Components

I picked up the restored exhaust components (original muffler, exhaust manifolds, and connecting pipes). They were blasted and then ceramic coated.

Matching the original yellow VW used on the manifolds was going to be more expensive so I settled on just matching the same tungsten gray of the heat exchangers. Muffler was done in a silver to try and match the original metal finish. I'm using an aftermarket tail pipe since that takes a lot of abuse due to the steep grade up my driveway.

Very nice!
Naladahc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Jimbug57 wrote:

Very nice!

I've noticed a little sloppiness in the work. I probably should complain given the cost but I just want to move on and keep working. They did turn out far better than I expected.

Saving the muffler is probably the best thing I could have done. There is a night and day metal quality difference between this original and the aftermarket one I acquired.

Naladahc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

In which I discover the horrible truth about AJ Case #2

I knew I should have done it last year, but I had only torn an engine I bought as a back up AS21 AJ case for my 79 to short block state.

I wanted to clean up the Garage of Love™ in prep for all of the engine building work that will start in June and unfortunately, I discovered the worst case scenario.

The entire bottom of the sump at the oil plate is eaten away and crumbling into cottage cheese.

I can't complain. I did not pay too much for this, and while the engine was carbed, I did get all the original FI tins off of it and some other usefule pieces so all is not a total loss.

But damn... I really wanted a solid backup AJ AS21 case for my 79.

Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I watched this video

Link

then re-key'd a working door handle I had in a box and installed it on my passenger side.

Now I can open it from the outside handle, and unlock it with my regular door key!
Naladahc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Murbella – Day 31 – AJ Engine Rebuild Starts

Started the day with the final clean of my AJ case and plugged the oil galleries I had drilled and tapped for cleaning! My engine rebuild can finally begin with the new parts start to arrive later this week!

Murbella – Day 31 – Tin work continues.

I've been degreasing, cleaning, and sanding off the surface corrosion of all my FI tins and my manifolds. (I'm so overbudget but I wish I could have had someone blast all this and power coat!) I have a few detail sanding passes still to do before final clean and priming.

Murbella – Day 31 – KBS 2nd coat. Start on a trailing arm.

I pulled out the suspension and other metal that I had blasted last month and started cleaning it up of soda residue. I got some coats of KBS on all the small stuff and 1 trailing arm. With luck I'll get the 2nd arm started tomorrow and can hopefully have all this work done by Wednesday humitidy permitting.

AircooledBackcorner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Yesterday, I installed new wheelbearings on the rear axle on my 1302 convertible (project). I had the entire chassis and front/rear suspension sand blasted, the parts came out pretty good!

Next stop, rear- and emergency brakes.
Naladahc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Murbella – Day 32 – More tin painting. KBS Topcoat!

Well I probably should have just found someone who could spray the KBS chassis products. I followed their instructions for brush painting but the product is just very messy, and gravity ended up slowly adding drops and bubbles as it settled. Thankfully all of this is hidden. At least it is protected again for some years.

And I probably should have found the additional money to have someone blast and powder coat my engine tin. It is slowly coming together though.

Murbella – Day 32 – My injectors arrived back!

My injectors and cold start valve are all back from Cruzin Performance and I am extremely happy with the results. 41 years of grime gone. They all tested great before cleaning and I was totally thrilled when they tested even better after he restored them.

So looking forward to rebuilding this engine.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 389, 390, 391 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 390 of 449

Jump to: