Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 397, 398, 399 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlos_magnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Done replacing the fuel pump gasket and trans mounts.
1968BUGMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I know I just posted this in my build thread, and it was actually last week, but I got my car back from being painted, just gotta have somebody put the roll up windows in. Its looking really good!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Installing a Stereo Into a Classic VW | https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9502179#9502179
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Excellent! Very Happy
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Replaced the *new* aftermarket leaky windshield w/a used original. No more leaks from the front. Now for the rear.....

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bp03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Changed the ignition switch!

Got my 1972 Standard two days ago. Vehicle idled in the PO's garage and then later I got it started to drive into my driveway off the trailer...Then it wouldn't start again.

I spent some time yesterday diagnosing it and ordered an ignition switch. Got it today, swapped it out and starts up just fine.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
And I think it's time to install new speakers into those housings, to replace the 45 year old ones in my 1970 !!!

My speakers date from the time of my first stereo into my 1970 (in early 1973), to replace its dealer added AM radio. The toggle switch hanging down is for my electric windshield washer.

So in 47 years those housings have contained the same speakers. The housings had been attached under the dash using two sheet metal screws into the plastic housing through holes I'd drilled from the trunk side. After removing the housings, there were 4 hidden/recessed screws to take the housings apart, and then the 5.25" speakers could be unscrewed.

Local Autozone had some Boss 5.25" speakers, but those wouldn't fit into my housing, which I had taken along; there were individual Metra 5.25" speakers there for $14 each which DID fit, and I made mental note of that. I was on my way to Walmart 20 miles away anyway to pick up a new lawn tractor battery, so I looked at the Scosche 5.25" speakers there for $25.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-Hd5254sd-5-25-Inch-4-Way-Car-Stereo-Speakers-Pair/326392036

The Scosche speakers fit perfectly into my housing, so I purchased those. Here is one screwed into my housing.

I soldered leads to the speaker terminals to connect to my wires.

Because mounting the external speakers the way I did required a helper to align and hold them when installing, I had a stroke of "genius" and used a screw from the inside secured by a nut, to act as a mounting stud, two per speaker (sorry no picture of that); then I could attach by using a nut/washer from inside the trunk. So completion of this small project looks exactly like the first picture.

Stereo

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
atldal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Finding Mice nest!
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Yesterday I took the engine out of my recently acquired 69, so that I could change the trans mounts (the front one seemed to be totally shot). Found out it wasn't the mount, the nose cone was cracked. I knew when I got the car the passenger side floor was dented up just behind the seat area. With the engine and trans out, I could see that dent actually went at an angle right to the front of the trans, and the front part of the wishbone of the center spine was actually dented. So someone had a major off-road excursion. Someone had welded in some steel to act as a brace, but it really didn't do the job. It must have happened a long time ago as the metal on both sides of the crack were heavily corroded.
I'm very thankful this is a readily available part...
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed a factory impact strip on the rear after-market bumper.

Also went on a 30-mile cruise on local highways.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Cuss, those pics look great and it’s good to see your car finally 😀 you’ve taken care of it and it shows.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Cuss, those pics look great and it’s good to see your car finally 😀 you’ve taken care of it and it shows.

Thanks !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Quick wash and dry brought out a nice shine on the 50 year old paint

bp03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I took my bug out on the road for the first time last night at dusk...Went to turn on the headlights and they didn't work.. Over the past week while messing with the car they seemed to be intermittent.

After some troubleshooting I determined it to be the relay...Also upon pulling the relay I found it was cracked (pretty sure I did not do it).

Luckily Advance Auto has one that is a direct fit. I put 'er in and had lights again and then went for a ride!
Jennthom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Bought my very first Bug on Tuesday! Yesterday I drove it for the very first time and today I'm removing the after market stereo amp and sub. Found some rust hiding under the sub.

Discovered oil leaking from 2 locations and preparing for the first oil change and tune up!

Excited!!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Jennthom- congratulations, and welcome to the Beetle world. What year is yours? Where was the sub located?

When you do your oil change, be very careful with those 6 small "acorn" nuts that are on the bottom of the metal round sump plate. A thorough oil change involves removing that sump plate, pulling down the aluminum oil screen, and cleaning both parts with solvent or brake cleaner spray.

When you reassemble afterwards, first fit the copper washers from the oil change kit onto the studs before you put on the acorn nuts. Those nuts call for only 5 ft. lb tightening torque. Hand-tighten them onto the studs, then snug up each nut 1/2 turn at a time in a criss-cross pattern until you reach the 5 ft. lb. 30 years ago I bought a small 1/4" drive inch-pound ratcheting torque wrench on sale from JC Whitney, put on a 3" extension, and set it at 60 in. lb (12" x 5 ft) as my dedicated oil change wrench. You can probably find a similar cheap one from HarborFreight. The acorn nuts use a 10 mm socket.
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I have an ongoing problem. After driving the Beetle for about 30 minutes, it begins to misfire. It's beautiful weather this time of year. It's a real loss not to drive it.

Distributor cap has no cracks or carbon scoring. But the points had moderate pitting, so I started by replacing the points and condenser.

Went for a test drive and the misfiring started again. No easy fix. So I checked the coil polarity - good. I measured the primary and secondary coil resistance - good.

I tested the spark from the coil center post wire to the engine block. The spark is yellow, not blue like it should be. Hmmm - maybe getting closer to the problem.

Next I plan to measure voltage across the primary coil. And I'll probably run a hot lead from the battery to the coil to rule out the ignition switch, and check the coil wire spark again. If the spark is still yellow, it might be time to replace the coil. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

In other news: Mechanics had their way with the engine over the years. Many things were modified. The ignition timing advanced only about 8 degree from idle to 3500 RPM.

My distributor has centrifugal advance. And it has vacuum advance and retard. Tracing the vacuum lines revealed that somehow, some way, the lines were reversed in the past. After correcting this error, my ignition timing advances to about 28 degrees BTDC at high RPM.
Trikezilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Bought more parts!
Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed a "Hot Oil Sensor" today.....went for a test drive and all was well until the final stretch back home. I had been driving for about 20 minutes of mixed country and highway driving. Before turning down my road, I slowed the car down from 60mph, turned right and the oil light began flashing and in some instances continuously glowed. Very strange....car was fine the whole while until that last right turn. Thankfully it was not far before turning into the driveway and parked it......the oil light flickered then I shut it down. I have more work to do...

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

@cusser
[quote="Cusser"]
Cusser wrote:
And I think it's time to install new speakers into those housings, to replace the 45 year old ones in my 1970 !!!

That's a great Housing & Location - better than the kick plate stuff I've seen.
Know of anyone making a Kit like that- Eventually I might put a stereo in my 70

Right now it's still got the original uncut dash with no stereo!
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Engine misfire problem:

Bentley says the voltage across the primary ignition coil should be 9.6V minimum. On my car while idling I measured 6V. When I reved the engine to about 2500 RPM I measured 4V.

In my earlier post, the spark from the coil center post wire to the engine block is yellow (it should be blue). Combined with low voltage across the coil, it looks like I'm getting close to the problem.

I'm looking for advice on what's next. Is this a likely coil issue? Or should I look at the ignition wiring or the alternator?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 397, 398, 399 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 398 of 449

Jump to: