Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 406, 407, 408 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CzyKats44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Snoopy1971 wrote:
Unless the rear fenders and bumper mounts were replaced at some point, I believe that's a '74, not a '73 ... Those bumper mounts came into use in the '74 model year ... what's the 3rd number of the VIN?

Very likely a '74 then, I'm not well versed on the nuances between them yet. '73 is what she said and I haven't had an opportunity to break down the vin yet. I had about 2 minutes to get into the garage, dig my way to the car and take the above pic and to see if the windshield was curved.

She's gonna send me a pic of the VIN here shortly.

Thanks for the input!

*Update*

Confirmed 1974, Aiming at mid-June to get down there to pull it out.

Last edited by CzyKats44 on Sat May 01, 2021 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

AFter I drove home from work, hearing a few clunks at certain bumps on the rear passenger side, I decided to take a look to see if I screwed anything up when I changed the shocks. Notice some obvious rubbing on the gas filter under there Sad

Then I glanced across at the driver's side shock and noticed the nut is not even completely on the bolt Embarassed I bought the replacement hardware set when I got the shocks from WW, but I seem to have put the wrong bolt on the bottom. Having the longer bolt on top made it a lot easier to install!!

So this weekend I will take one off, go find a longer replacement at HD, and tighten it up properly.

What the worst that could happen, driving down the road and the shock drops out the bottom, drags for miles lighting up the roadway, and . . .
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Vent window seals, yuck....

And continued getting "custom seats" installed.

Ever closer, yet ever farther.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed new brake light switches , replaced rear view inside mirror.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Washed it.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Adjusted the valves. Cleaned and gapped plugs. Installed new points, condenser, rotor and cap. Installed new fuel pump and pushrod. Disassembled carburetor and cleaned/blew everything out. Found a bad vacuum cap and replaced, also. Installed new fuel filter. Shoot, just realized I forgot to change the air cleaner oil. I left the timing right where it was. Adjusted the carb. It's running most excellent once again.

I was going to replace the pump stand too, but of course, I would have had to break it to get it out. The pushrod I took out was starting to mushroom, and the pump lever was trashed also. The old pushrod diameter mic'd at 7.97mm. The new pushrod mic'd at 8.068. I took it from 400 grit to emery cloth down to 8.04. It slides easily in the old stand. However, the fuel pump I installed is a new Rock Auto Chinese, so I'm going to order a Brosol and put the China one back in my spares. I'll tap the old stand out then (I have to buy a tap and threaded rod).

So, a busy day, but well worth it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Charging the battery of my "up north VW", my 1970.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Replaced the bottom rear shock bolts. That was easy Very Happy

Replaced the front shocks. Rubber was cracked, one side was leaking oil. Much better (less) body roll when turning. This thing is so much fun on tight corners!!!

LED brake lights. The driver side did NOT go into the slot very well. I can't seem to activate the lights with all my combos of boards and bricks, so that I can see for myself. The idea of helping husband/dad seems foreign to my family. Someone mentioned chrome tape to reflect better. FLAPS?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

unclewede wrote:
Someone mentioned chrome tape to reflect better. FLAPS?

Aluminum tape; Home Depot.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

After almost five long years, I finished my Sportsbug today! Woo hoo! Passed the 2.5 hour inspection yesterday, registered the car and got a shiny new plate today! As soon as the weather turns nice, I'll be taking it for it's first drive.

Now all I can do is look out the window and wait, occasionally going out to visit the car in the garage!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bp03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pulled my engine for the first time by myself. Wasn't too bad, I am confident I could do it again in less than 30 mins. I have 5 motorcycles and this is much easier than pulling one of their motors. I also discovered why(most likely) my clutch feel is horrible, I have a pretty bad leak from the trans input shaft seal (looks original, feels rock hard) as well as the main seal on the engine. New parts already on the way!

I have a factory air cleaner that im getting cleaned up and also probably going to try to find a decent muffler as well.
Snoopy1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

When I bought my Bug almost a year ago, the PO gave me a set of Pop Out rear quarter windows with it. Finally got around to putting them in yesterday and today. That was the biggest pain in the a$$ ever.

First, whoever painted the car (2 owners ago) left the windows in ... so when they were removed, the original paint showed ...

So sanded and primered and painted earlier this week.

Tiday finally got the Pop-Outs in ... what a pain. It was a bear trying to get the windows all the way forward to line up with the holes ... but after 5 hours, funally succeeded!!

Last edited by Snoopy1971 on Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed a dashcam in my Sportsbug.

Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I've been working on the Bug at night all week and finished my door interior / door card project. Applied sound damping inside the door and lubricated the window mechanism with lithium grease:

I've read different opinions about putting the water barrier inside the door near the bottom. But I found these drain holes that appear to direct water back inside the door cavity. So I kept the water barrier outside the door, as original, and applied silicone around the door openings to take advantage of the drain holes:

After years of exposure to water (with no water barrier) the door cards were curled up. I wanted to save the original cards, so I dampened the Masonite and clamped boards on both sides. The results aren't perfect, but I'm happy to save them:

For some reason, the PO removed the top pivots from the fly windows. I almost lost the glass while driving last year. I installed new WW pivots, it took some experimenting to find the correct position:

Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I pressed in the front wheel bearing races into my new drums last night. It sure was an easy job when you have the right tool. Lucky I was able to use the press at work. No swearing was required.

Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Got new screws for all signal lens
NONE work, all too short Evil or Very Mad

Got the ashtray cupholder item from CIP1. The part that goes into the ashtray is a piece of wood painted black. Not sure, haven't tried to actually insert it yet. Wife brought up "How am I going to know how to shift if you take the ashtray out?" Shocked I guess we don't take the bug anywhere she might need to be the DD to get home.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

unclewede wrote:
... Wife brought up "How am I going to know how to shift if you take the ashtray out?" ...
Laughing
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Wow, I had that EXACT shift knob in my very first car (1974 Beetle).

Cool to see that again!

Maddel wrote:
unclewede wrote:
... Wife brought up "How am I going to know how to shift if you take the ashtray out?" ...
Laughing

unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Ordered.

Expected delivery, 7/6??? Mad
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Checked on my backorder status.

Sigh... I love ACN but it sure would be nice to get an ETA when it's been 3 weeks. Sad

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 406, 407, 408 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 407 of 449

Jump to: