Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 407, 408, 409 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snoopy1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I got tired of my stuff in the trunk (tool bag, jack, etc) being loose and looking like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

so I ordered a vintage suitcase off Etsy last week and it came today so I put everything in it and put up front.

bp03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

swapped out front and rear trans mounts. The rears were nasty and separated. Front didnt look that bad actually, probably could have reused it for several more years but swapped it out anyways.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

bp03 wrote:
swapped out front and rear trans mounts. The rears were nasty and separated. Front didnt look that bad actually, probably could have reused it for several more years but swapped it out anyways.

Yeah, it was about time for the rear mounts !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Stripped it down for yearly deep clean and wax

DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

While I'm waiting for SOMEONE at ACN to respond (even emailed John directly) on the status of my cam, I decided to go ahead and order new con rods. My 2234 had used clearanced stock rods and I would have been happy to keep using those. But since I was waiting anyway, I went ahead and ordered some 5.5" H-beam rods. Should make things go a little smoother.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
While I'm waiting for SOMEONE at ACN to respond (even emailed John directly) on the status of my cam, I decided to go ahead and order new con rods. My 2234 had used clearanced stock rods and I would have been happy to keep using those. But since I was waiting anyway, I went ahead and ordered some 5.5" H-beam rods. Should make things go a little smoother.

ACN has been a little slow in responding lately.
My guess is that they are quite busy processing orders.
Be patient. Stephanie will reach out to ya, soon.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
DurocShark wrote:

ACN has been a little slow in responding lately.
My guess is that they are quite busy processing orders.
Be patient. Stephanie will reach out to ya, soon.

Well, considering the order was placed nearly a month ago, and I started asking for backorder status 2 weeks ago, I think that I've been patient. Sad

I do love John and ACN, but this kind of thing drives me nuts.
GBUCKLEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

George from NY - Red 1970 convertible type 1, acquired June 2020. I've spent the pandemic thing sprucing things up, replacing parts almost as old as me, and making the car safe and drivable. Finally lost my V-card by dropping the engine out in October.
Shout out to Gene at Volksworld, who has given unbelievably helpful remote support.

I owe TheSamba a history of the rehab of my car. To follow...

Today I received 15 gallons of real gas (no ethanol, 93 octane) from my neighbor, who can buy it 6 hours away - up near Canada. Will last me 6 weeks or so, in prime convertible weather. He promised to keep me supplied.

Also I confirmed that the clunking I have heard as of late is bad ball joints. So I watched half a dozen YouTube videos on how to replace them, and looked for reliable replacements on Rockauto.

Re-adjusted my shift plate - shifter migrated a smidge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I changed the oil today. Cleaned up the mess from the PO use of sealant.
I installed the WW silicone gaskets and copper washers. My son came by to do the same with his Honda. That bike takes more oil than a Beetle.

FredH17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:

Great job mate !!
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Thanks Fred. All waxed up and shiney.

BrooklynTony198
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Took apart more of my '79 Vert.... found out that a previous owner did this to the floorpan! How exciting!

"Am I in over my head? Maybe. Will I continue to work on it? Of course!"
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

BrooklynTony198 wrote:
Took apart more of my '79 Vert.... found out that a previous owner did this to the floorpan! How exciting!

You don't want to see the "fixes" to the pan under the battery on my two VWs !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:

Gave up on ACN. Ordered the cam (and some other bits) from Car Craft. Smile They verified they had the cam in stock.
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

While opening the door to my Beetle, something didn't look right. I pulled this common wood nail out of the check strap assembly. Shocked I wonder how many years it's been there?

I installed the correct part:

OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Full rebuild on Bosch 034 SVDA (original)
Cleaned everything, which from the looks of it, hadn't been done since the day it was born.
Bearing sleeves were solid with no shaft play.
Lubed all pivots and mating surfaces.
Replaced some missing pieces with parts from VWNOS.
Installed Standard Ignition (Intermotor) points and condenser.
Set points gap at .016 and then adjusted for correct DWELL of 48
Dynamic timing will have to wait, I don't have one of those dial in timing lights.
GBUCKLEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Drove to the beach and to the supermarket. Shifting was not 100%.

I had replaced the shift rod bushing last year with Dansk. To be determined, but I suspect it didn't last 300 miles. Next one will be WW. At least I know how to change it.
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:

So THAT'S what it could have looked like if my son allowed me to clearcoat his car. He didn't want flash/shine, and now *I* drive it. . . touch-up/repair is a lot easier with single stage.

I got that (ash?) turned gear shift knob, and set it in my car for about a week to cure/acclimate. Last night (while driving Embarassed ) I determined that if I hold the shift rod, the knob comes off rather easily. Should the shift rod just spin like that?
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

unclewede wrote:
Should the shift rod just spin like that?

Yes.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Adjusted the valves and brakes. Ready for the weekend road trip to Putnam Valley NY!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 407, 408, 409 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 408 of 449

Jump to: