Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 408, 409, 410 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondblue1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Put a vapor barrier and an original door card on my 72 super , some previous PO had a hideous color scheme going on .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

The car had been acting up, acting like it was running out of fuel. Changed the fuel filter, did not fix the problem. It is a fuel injected model, so measured the resistance of the temperature sensor which turned out to be infinity (bad). Less than a year old and it went bad already Shocked

Ordering a couple more to have on as a backup. Guess I'm not driving it this weekend. Sad

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Memorial Day Weekend here is a wash out - three days of rain. So I'm replacing all the vacuum hoses in the engine compartment and adding clamps.
Old:

New:

In my effort to get the engine back to stock, I found yet another hose hanging loose and disconnected. The hose from the fuel vapor carbon canister is not plugged into the fan housing. I'm groping around trying to find where it goes but no luck so far.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Lost69Convertible wrote:
In my effort to get the engine back to stock, I found yet another hose hanging loose and disconnected. The hose from the fuel vapor carbon canister is not plugged into the fan housing. I'm groping around trying to find where it goes but no luck so far.

The hose from the fan housing to the canister should connect on top of the housing, right about the middle of the right upper arc. See #6 in the first picture, and #4 in the second.

Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Thanks Mukluk! I went looking in that area today. It's covered up by the air intake filter box.

With fear and trembling hands Wink, I removed the filter box and AFM. While a voice in my head said "Don't touch the AFM, you'll screw it up." With things cleared away, there was no visible tube fitting.

Now I also had better access to look on the front of the blower housing. And I found it:

jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Nice, rare warm sunny day here in the West of Ireland.
Today I took off the chrome strip that was loose on my driver side running board
All the clips had rusted to bits and I could see that they cause a rust trap by holding water!
I took the strip off, wire brush the metal, sanded and brushed on two coats of black protective paint.
Not sure if I want to leave off the trim for good or not.
Trim looks good but I am sick of the rust issues it constantly brings on my 72 daily driver 1200.
In fact when I respray the bug next I think I will get rid of all trim and weld up all the holes in the body work for good!
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Today I took the tar boards out of the sides of the engine bay in my 72 1200 bug daily driver.
I cleaned all out with a cloth and bucket if soapy water after I finished cleaning the vinyl seats inside the bug and disconnected the Battery!
Then I checked all the wiring connections were good,
used a brass wire brush to clean up bad ones.
Insulated all the electrics with high quality black electrical tape.
All dried out in the sun today for a couple of hours.
Put everything back together again and tested lights.
All looking good apart from the license plate bulb is still very weak!
kd69bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Hugged it... Blue Bug Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mom3gamma1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

She got new hoses, new headlights and new turn signal relay. She should be all set for inspection on Tuesday.

I've only owned her for 4 days and I haven't stopped smiling yet. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

In a clear violation of all HOA rules, changed the oil while parked in my parents driveway. This after last week's transgressions of replacing the front driver side bearings and seal.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I had washed my 1973 Sports Bug the other day just before it started to rain. Today was a wonderful sunny day, so I took the opportunity to give it a nice wax. The car shines like a pearl now.

Started it up and let it run a bit as I haven't driven it in a couple weeks, then put it back into the garage. Hoping to find some good weather next week to take it for a bit of a drive.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Stripped a spare ball joint front end to bare bones. Drug the nasty looking trailing arms to work & pressed old, worn joints out & new tight ones back in
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Violated HOA rules again today and checked valves while parked in the driveway after last weekend's oil change. Happy to report all were spot on except the #4 exhaust which was a hair tight, probably like .005.5. Went ahead and set it to a tight .006.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Violated HOA rules again today and checked valves while parked in the driveway after last weekend's oil change. Happy to report all were spot on except the #4 exhaust which was a hair tight, probably like .005.5. Went ahead and set it to a tight .006.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
vamram wrote:

Laughing - i'm just getting started!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Holey42001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

In the process of making new door panels. $12 from the hardware store, enough for 2 cars if you're creative. Now to search for some pleather.... I like the plain brown look but it stains very easily with oils and such.

I plan on using drywall anchors and two countersunk screws to mount each panel at the front and rear using the existing holes from the clips.

If it’s not leaking oil, there probably isn’t any left.

1973 Standard Bug
1972 MG Midget
1973 Hilux w/flatbed & crate motor
1989 Aero & Adams FV
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Quote:
I like the plain brown look but it stains very easily with oils and such.
Would it help if you apply a satin or flat finish polyurethane using a short-nap roller? Hit both sides so that the inside surface does not soften up from rain water that creeps past the window scraper?
Holey42001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
I like the plain brown look but it stains very easily with oils and such.
Would it help if you apply a satin or flat finish polyurethane using a short-nap roller? Hit both sides so that the inside surface does not soften up from rain water that creeps past the window scraper?

That’s a neat idea, I wonder how well the polyurethane would adhere to the finish thats already on the board since it’s a higher gloss. I don’t see why it wouldn't work I suppose

If it’s not leaking oil, there probably isn’t any left.

1973 Standard Bug
1972 MG Midget
1973 Hilux w/flatbed & crate motor
1989 Aero & Adams FV
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Holey42001 wrote:
In the process of making new door panels. $12 from the hardware store, enough for 2 cars if you're creative. Now to search for some pleather.... I like the plain brown look but it stains very easily with oils and such.

I plan on using drywall anchors and two countersunk screws to mount each panel at the front and rear using the existing holes from the clips.

I just did my door crds with black pleather, my bug is marine blue, if I had a white bug I would go with a more vibrant color scheme like red or settle for a happy medium gray.
germanvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Removed the rusty front beam from my 69 Beetle. Car has been in my family since new. Was purchased by my late uncle in Sept 1968. It has 241,000 on original engine, never been apart. Engine was only out once for a clutch. Car has a lot of original paint and it was never in an accident.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 408, 409, 410 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 409 of 449

Jump to: