Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 410, 411, 412 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShortyMedlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Replaced the heater tubes and seals that were missing when I bought the car.

Started cutting out the rusty floor so I can replace the rear 1/4 right side floor.

Installed new fuel lines in the engine compartment.

Waiting for some metric screws so I can fasten the points to the dizzy...should be here Monday.

Much more on the platter but I'm old and I work slow.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I replaced a factory driver side inner tie rod end on my 1970, only had 261,331 miles on the odometer (but the speedometer/odometer was broken for a while). Original had the factory VW stamping; replacement was through Autozone, made in Belgium and lifetime warrantied. Then I adjusted the toe-in.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, I'd used two hose clamps to support the end of my quiet muffler, and the clamps broke. So I bent a U-bolt to fit and used that.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I filed the points and had a good result. my car started running really bad and backfiring so I ordered all the tune up stuff from Wolfsburg West but wanted to see if I could get it going, pleasant surprise when it worked.
emma.carter128
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Today we are working on installation of a new windshield wiper motor, arms, nozzle, and the new switch on a Type I 1969. Wired correctly as per standard diagrams. The motor is on Fuse 2. Every time we turn on the ignition to test (with the switch for the windshield wipers in the off position), fuse 2 blows. Continuity testing for all relevant wires shows all wires are working properly. It's driving us nuts!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Took it on a Home Depo run and to recycle old brake drums and clutch pressure plate.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plastikman187
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

This week:

Refurbished wing windows purchased from avery's air cooled All rubber was purchased from Wolfsburg West. Replaced the old single windows as seen here

New look, new house, same dirty car tho!

Converted my windshield washer from non-working to electric. After ~15 years of ownership, I can finally wash the window!

I should have taken some additional photos, but this is an awesome mod!

Link

Followed the guide here

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383291
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I have been cleaning up the engine compartment in my Super. I bought the car about 3 weeks ago and have gotten it cleaned up. Here is before and after in the engine area. I know not great but getting better.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Changed out the mc brake light switches with German FTE ones. No bleeding necessary. Brakes work fine, and, knock on wood, the brake warning light keeps going out after startup.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

irvanm, with your efforts to clean up your '74's engine, here's a reference photo- a '74 Beetle with 31,000 original miles which I admired 3 years ago. It has the dual-preheat pipe intake manifold due to being a California market car originally, but most other details would apply to yours.
plastikman187
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed the "new to me" Dual Kadron's on my super

Need to remove my SVDA and put my 009 back in. It doesn't run great, but that is because I am waiting for the Fuel Pressure Reg, and the sync tool.

Overall super stoked to have them installed.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

plastikman187 wrote:

Need to remove my SVDA and put my 009 back in. It doesn't run great.....

I'm sure you're aware of this but the SVDA's vacuum hose is disconnected in the picture while it looks like the engine is running. Vacuum leak...?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Changed out the mc brake light switches with German FTE ones. No bleeding necessary. Brakes work fine, and, knock on wood, the brake warning light keeps going out after startup.

Tim

Tim, I had a cheap after-market switch go bad on me as I was crossing Bear Mountain towards Fishkill in NY. The brake light would come on and I would lose about 50% of the pedal. A pump brought it back fully but that was a bit scary to say the least. In my case, the front switch had sprung a small leak - enough to allow some air in and fluid out w/that first press of the pedal. I don't recall if I replaced it w/German FTE but the replacement has held up. No more braking scares. Or brake light while braking.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Bruce'ster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I recently bought a 68 sedan. Parts were in boxes and body off the chassis. I "towed" it home (two trips) over the weekend and have been sorting things out.
All windows cleaned and bubble wrapped, chrome polished with 0000 steel wool, transaxle cleaned up. Yesterday I wired wheeled the front part of the chassis and primed it.
This is my second bug project. I'm almost done my 65; TMI Seat covers come today after 12 weeks.

irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

YUou guys do amazing stuff to your cars. I just put some new bumper ends on this morning since mine were missing.

plastikman187
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
plastikman187 wrote:

Need to remove my SVDA and put my 009 back in. It doesn't run great.....

I'm sure you're aware of this but the SVDA's vacuum hose is disconnected in the picture while it looks like the engine is running. Vacuum leak...?

I was not quick enough to post an update Very Happy

I have since switched out my SVDA to my 009. I am still thinking of adding a vacuum to the carb, but for now 009 is working "ok"
plastikman187
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Finished the install of the duals, runs and idles great. I don't love the 009, but for now it will have to do. Idles at ~900 seems like it runs cool and has plenty of pep.

Next up, New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air cleaners, heat riser block off plates (Don't worry, I, wont drive with them uncovered) and a valve adjustment. That will probably wait until I move in a few months. Its hard to get back to #1 and #3 with those duals in there.

P.S. Yes, I know, pressure reg and filter should be out of the engine bay. Filter has been in the engine for ~15 years never had a problem.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Good !!!

plastikman187 wrote:
Its hard to get back to #1 and #3 with those duals in there.

You could cut access holes under the fender.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

plastikman187 wrote:
... I don't love the 009, but ...

Maybe it's because you don't actually have a 009. Me thinks you have an 094, often past off as being a "chrome 009" which is not quite true due to its different advance curve. My 094 had nice chrome bling, but just did not run as well in my buggy as my good old trusty 009.
plastikman187
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
plastikman187 wrote:
... I don't love the 009, but ...

Maybe it's because you don't actually have a 009. Me thinks you have an 094, often past off as being a "chrome 009" which is not quite true due to its different advance curve. My 094 had nice chrome bling, but just did not run as well in my buggy as my good old trusty 009.

You are right! This is a 094! Zoomed into the picture, and it says

JF4 <---
9230081 094

Is the 094 similar to the 009? I saw a post saying that the curve is similar? Either way, it feels about as good as the old Empi SVDA

A little back story....

This car was my dads, I got it in 2003, it had the 094 in it with the pict43 and an electric fuel pump. I sold the car in 2009 to a friend, he put the Empi SVDA, and Mechanical fuel pump on. I bought the car back from him ~6 years ago and he gave me all the old parts back.
That_One_Chick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

This weekend and about 56 weeks before that I've been working on this and a few other little things. I installed a new harness on it a few months back. Polishing everything I can, to get rid of the rust from sitting these last 15 years.

Here is a before and a "so far" photo since it's not done yet...

I figured if I posted it would keep me motivated!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 410, 411, 412 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 411 of 449

Jump to: