Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 440, 441, 442 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Congratulations, JoeMC! '69 is one of my favorite years; I had one about 20 yrs ago which was a parts car that I was able to get into driveable condition.
I see some rust on the bottom of the quarter panel just ahead of the rear fender. How is the rust situation on the rest of the car? Will you drive it while working on it?

Big Bull Shooter wrote:
JoeMc wrote:
Bought my first beetle today.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Congratulations on your first Beetle, neighbour! I hope to have my 69 back on the road in the next few days. I'm just waiting for brake lines to arrive.

Thanks, I'm 50 and this is my first Beetle. I've always wanted one but never got around to buying one until now.

The heater channels are pretty rusty the rest of the underside looks somewhat decent to my newbie eye. It's been sitting for a few years. I'm hoping to build a drivable project.

[/quote]
JoeMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by JoeMc on Mon May 08, 2023 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Congratulations, JoeMC! '69 is one of my favorite years; I had one about 20 yrs ago which was a parts car that I was able to get into driveable condition.
I see some rust on the bottom of the quarter panel just ahead of the rear fender. How is the rust situation on the rest of the car? Will you drive it while working on it?

Thanks, I'm 50 and this is my first Beetle. I've always wanted one but never got around to buying one until now.

The heater channels are pretty rusty the rest of the underside looks somewhat decent to my newbie eye. It's been sitting for a few years. I'm hoping to build a drivable project.
JoeMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:

JoeMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:

JoeMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:

Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

JoeMc wrote:

What area of BC are you in? I'm in Jasper. Also, I just got my bug on the road for this season. I had the engine rebuilt/restored this winter, reupholstered all of the seats, new door panels, installed carpet kit, front speaker kick panels, new wheel cylinders, brake lines, drums, pads, and re-indexed the rear torsion bars.
She is running like a dream right now, and ready for her first post break-in oil change.
Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I charged the battery on my 1970. It sat most of winter, but I did drive it to the dentist on April 13. If the battery doesn't "live" as it should, I'll likely get another 1-year Group 26R battery from Walmart (it has lasted 2 years for me).

Looks like Group 26R there is $69.74.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mikeonthebike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I charged the battery on my 1970. It sat most of winter, but I did drive it to the dentist on April 13. If the battery doesn't "live" as it should, I'll likely get another 1-year Group 26R battery from Walmart (it has lasted 2 years for me).

Looks like Group 26R there is $69.74.

I got the T5 battery from Walmart. It cost more but comes with a 3 year warranty (they last 3 years 2 months) and what I like about it is that it has recessed posts with protective caps on them. I've got an 82 pound dog that ride in the back and don't want to short out the seat to the battery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Continued tinkering with my work-in-progress quiet pack exhaust, reworked into a side mount tuck-away with sidewinder style (inlet and exit on same side).
JoeMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Big Bull Shooter wrote:

What area of BC are you in? I'm in Jasper. Also, I just got my bug on the road for this season. I had the engine rebuilt/restored this winter, reupholstered all of the seats, new door panels, installed carpet kit, front speaker kick panels, new wheel cylinders, brake lines, drums, pads, and re-indexed the rear torsion bars.
She is running like a dream right now, and ready for her first post break-in oil change.

Apparently I don't know how to use a forum. Posted same thing a bunch of times. Confused

I'm in Langley. Yours sounds a lot nicer than mine. Smile

I installed new ignition switch and battery today. It turns over! Hoping to get it started this weekend. Then look at the brakes.
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

JoeMc wrote:
Big Bull Shooter wrote:

Apparently I don't know how to use a forum. Posted same thing a bunch of times. Confused

I'm in Langley. Yours sounds a lot nicer than mine. Smile

I installed new ignition switch and battery today. It turns over! Hoping to get it started this weekend. Then look at the brakes.

Good luck, I wish I was closer, and could help you out. As for the multiple post, that's happened to me when it shows an error message, even though the post went through.
Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
plastikman187
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I finally got around to installing a Vacuum port on my Kadron to set up SVDA. I followed this post https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=657227. It was a little scary, I was initially going to try to ship them off to lowbugget (found a post about them doing this) they don't do this anymore :/.

I will hopefully get around to installing the SVDA dizzy that I have laying around, its an EMPI (i think?) it has a stupid clear cap on it....came from my buddy when he owned this car for a few years. Maybe ill buy a real SVDA, guess ill just have to see how the EMPI nonsense performs.

I am hopeful that ill get rid of the little flat spot with the 094 (chrome 009).

**Edit**

Checked the "SVDA" Dizzy and the vacuum does not advance the plate at all.....looks like that is all garbage. Ill buy a real one.
plastikman187
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

New pertonix showed up in the mail today!

Everything is all setup and working now. The SVDA is 90 degrees off of the 094 so that was a little weird.

Everything is running great now. Smooth and seems nice.

Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject: WW2 Messerschmitt altimeter installed in my 73 bug Reply with quote

After finishing up the accessory instrumentation in my 73 bug (VDO 'jet cockpit' tach, oil pressure, oil temperature), I turned to the final concern which consisted of mounting my WW2 German Luftwaffe Messerschmitt 'Hohemesser' (atimeter) under the right side instrument panel. It lends a curious embellishment to an otherwise non-startling bug cockpit. Images appear below. The altimeter is in perfect order; extremely well preserved for its age and fully functional, with the standard barometric pressure calibrating dial-in setting in millibars. Not too many similarly equipped Volksies!

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JoeMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I'm lucky to live about 10 minutes from California Import Parts in Langley B.C. Today I picked up new spark plugs and distributor cap. Hoping to start her this weekend for the first time in at least 3 years.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: WW2 Messerschmitt altimeter installed in my 73 bug Reply with quote

Windisch wrote:
... WW2 German Luftwaffe Messerschmitt 'Höhemesser' (atimeter) under the right side instrument panel...

Übercool! Cool Cool Cool
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Completed reconditioning of backing plate and EB linkage (both sides).
Replaced adjustment leaf on one side.
Installed new springs and retainers.

OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Thanks OTTO! Another pin-up photo for my garage! Very Happy

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed reconditioned heater boxes (originals) and reconditioned muffler (Kadron).

I really like the HJS exhaust clamps with the wire weave gasket.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 440, 441, 442 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 441 of 449

Jump to: