Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idle jet ?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Idle jet ? Reply with quote

How in the heck does an idle jet clog? Is it junk getting past a crappy fuel filter that clogs them up or is dirt and dust sneaking past an air filter? What kind of fuel and air filters do the best job to keep the crap out? Show me whatcha got! It seems like I'm cleaning idle jets out all the time, what gives?! Kelly
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle jet ? Reply with quote

oldbugs wrote:
How in the heck does an idle jet clog? Is it junk getting past a crappy fuel filter that clogs them up or is dirt and dust sneaking past an air filter? Kelly

All the above..... What type carburetors.....

If you have best quality gas filters and air filters problems will be less...

IF you are using WEBER IDF's, try getting "Jet Doctors" for them..

http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1507

If running Dell's

http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=514

And cast aluminum bases and top covers are better than stamped steel... Also seal air filters to carb base plate and top covers....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what carbs do you have? Realize that an idle jet is very small.. I mean like 0.020" hole. It doesn't take much to clog that. Dirt in the lines, bad filters and setup, accumulation of smaller particles that break free as chunks in the float bowl and get sucked into the idle circuit.. lots of chances for it to happen.
oldbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, dual 44 idf's
73stroker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many different ways. I went and got the Jet Doctor for mine, simple install and solved the problem, that is providing that you are running filters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Jet Doctor will not prevent any more dirt from getting in.

Most problems are from dirt getting past the air cleaner base plates on the cheap Chinese air cleaner assemblies.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Scott Novak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also note that if you are using CB performance 4-1/4" x 7"air cleaners bases, that genuine K&N Air cleaners WILL NOT FIT properly!!!

Their catalog ad incorrectly states that their air cleaner linkage bases fit 4-1/2" x 7" air filters. Their K&N clone filters are 4-1/4" x 7" and genuine K&N filters are 4-1/2" x 7" and they are NOT interchangeable.

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=509
A direct quote from their incorrect ad:
"This linkage kit works with all 4 1/2" x 7" OD air cleaner elements which are available in Heights from 1 1/8" to 9". Filter elements (gauze & foam), air cleaner tops, and mounting hardware are all available separately."

I e-mailed them about this and never received a response from them and the catalog is still incorrect.

Also be aware, that their air cleaner bases have flashing from the mold sprues and the flashing needs to be ground off so that the air filters will seal against the air cleaner bases.

Scott Novak
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had many occasions to determine cause of plugged jets, and MOST of the time it's crap in the fuel, but air cleaners are a concern for sure. Even if you have good filters if you don't oil them, you'll get more stuff in. It settles on the top of the carb, some falls into air bushings, bowl vents, etc... and plugs up the idle jets. Starting out with clean fuel system (and I mean CLEAN, none of this "looks ok" BS), and good filters (as mentioned aluminum bases and tops helps a lot), you should have minimal problems.
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used permatex on the base gasket for the filters(very little)

And use grease on the filters apply at the base and tops of filters along with outerwares for my buggy it definitely stops the sand from getting in at easy spots.Of course i oil the filters themselves with filter oil too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: