Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding curtains to a passenger vanagon (non-westy)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When distributing the magnets, organize them N--S--N--S and so on,,,, so that the curtains bunch up neatly in a proper zigzag fashion.

The magnets will seek this orientation when you do your "test bunch". Then hold the magnet in its preferred position then stitch thru the hole.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Famous 01 wrote:
Try magnets sewn into the curtains. Ever played with rare-earth magnets? You almost can't pull a couple of them apart.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32065&cat=1,42363,42348 I'd get the 3/8" X .10 . You can also get them from Digikey.com
-Kent

Terry Kay wrote:

install snap's.
Use Velcro.
Scratch the magnets--won't work thought the vinyl lining in the Van.

Au contraire my friend.....you're probably thinking of old-school refrigerator magnets, which are not strong enough.

I can say with complete certainty that rare earth magnets are the cleanest simplest most reliable way to hold westy curtains against the vinyl covered steel. You get rid of the vinyl coated springy string altogether (which is a nice upgrade in itself) and just feed the magnets into the sewn channel. Then sew little 'dams' so they remain distributed. You only need 4 per curtain and they hold the curtain OUT tight against the van, which is useful when sleeping in a lighted parking lot or freeway rest stop. And you can use them to connect curtains together. And they are 'invisible' - much nicer than a black square of velcro.

If you're retrofitting existing curtains get the ones with holes (3.2lb) then you can use a 'needle and thread' back and forth thru the hole a couple times and they'll stay distributed. You don't even have to take the curtains out. Magnets never wear out and are immune from abuse.
http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/SearchResult-CategoryID-33.html

If you're making a front curtain - magnets stick nicely all around the front windows - direct to the steel. If you're uncertain which 'pull force' to get just buy two 'sizes' they cost only $9 for 12 magnets and you'll probably use the others somewhere else. "3-4 lb" is a small, substantial magnet and "6 lbs" might be an upper limit for curtains, it might start to cause problems. Such as erase your creditcards then you can't buy any more anyway. Or in some parts of the country, the dirt has iron in it and magnets will attract it.

If you want to get an idea what a rare-earth magnet is like, tear apart any old hard drive. Every hard drive has a couple ferocious Rare-Earth magnets in it, 10-20 lb (?), I'm not sure but don't get your finger caught between them.

Tom

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<1987 Syncro GL with curtains mounted using the aluminum strips to hang curtains, works very well.>>

And look real nice Phil.

And it's not all that difficult of a project at all--

The sewing takes a bit of manual dexterity--but other than getting the seams straight--it doesn't really take much to get a nice set stock looking curtains manufactured in a weekend. ( OK--maybe two if your not Betsy Ross )
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1987 Syncro GL with curtains mounted using the aluminum strips to hang curtains, works very well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Phil

Samba Member No. 3307
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snaps are by far the easiest way to get curtains into a standard, non-Westfalia Van.
ddonnell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of using the string system aforementioned, try going to the gowesty site and get some female and male snaps. It would make the curtains look alot nicer and it wouldn't be as permanent as the string system. I am having my mom sew up a new set for my 90 carat and we bought the snaps and the installer. Still haven't finished, but it will look very nice and O.G. being installed with the snaps.

good luck

instagram #bajabugproject
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding curtains to a passenger vanagon (non-westy) Reply with quote

<<"south of the mason dixon line look--forget the string>>

Is that usin' DeKalb feed burlap sacks, & balin' wire?

I like the rustic look--
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding curtains to a passenger vanagon (non-westy) Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
hi all,

I plan to add curtains to a passenger vanagon..

1. I can do it myself ie. my wife sews the fabric, I hook them up with some sort of strings found in a westy... (we can chose the color of the fabrics)

2. or I get a full curtains set from vendor such as Go Westy (tan and gray only)... but there are lot of variances and choices...

so... is there anyone in here add those curtains and how..

please help me to narrow my choices.. before I goof (read make an ugly curtains set up) or pay for things that I won't like later..

many thanks[/youtube]
link to my pics of mine. there made by z-products now out of business http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=devesvws thought the guy across the st was going to hook me up making copys of mine but never did Crying or Very sad "south of the mason dixon line look--forget the string Laughing
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be confused--be creative.

Make the rods outa aluminum strips..
install snap's.
Use Velcro.

Scratch the magnets--won't work thought the vinyl lining in the Van.

Now all's ya need is some material & a sewing machine.
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no curtain hardware in the van. I am a bit confused on what it is I am supposed to be looking for in order to hang home made curtains.

thanks for any help

1983.5 Watercooled Vanagon 'L' Automatic transmission
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being that every Vanagon Van ever built has the same window configuration--
Why not?

I sewed up a chocolate brown set for my 85 GL.

Worked & looked as nice as factory curtains--just darker.
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how about a passenger vanagon 'L', is it possible to add curtains?

thanks

1983.5 Watercooled Vanagon 'L' Automatic transmission
Chucksbrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out this website: http://www.instructables.com/id/Volkswagen-Bus-Camper-Curtains/ it gives you complete instructions on how to sew your own curtains w/sizes. Hope this helps you out.

Chucksbrick
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Adding curtains to a passenger vanagon (non-westy) Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
hi all,

I plan to add curtains to a passenger vanagon..

1. I can do it myself ie. my wife sews the fabric, I hook them up with some sort of strings found in a westy... (we can chose the color of the fabrics)

2. or I get a full curtains set from vendor such as Go Westy (tan and gray only)... but there are lot of variances and choices...

so... is there anyone in here add those curtains and how..

please help me to narrow my choices.. before I goof (read make an ugly curtains set up) or pay for things that I won't like later..

many thanks[/youtube]

If you want to go the cost effective DIY route, and like curtain tracks:
http://www.sailrite.com/Categories/Curtain-Hardwar...8Ta38Mahr0

this is what I'm doing for my passenger van:
1. Rear window - snap in, no tracks (6 snaps)
2. back side windows - snap into tracks top and bottom, w/snap tie-backs.
3. sliding door and front side window (driver's side) - snap in, no tracks (6 snaps), double-sided snaps for rolled back partial opening.
4. front curtain - a few snaps and some rare-earth magnets

Believe me, I've thought about this and tried various things for last 15 years.
Sewing machine here I come....

Last edited by Steelhead on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Famous 01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try magnets sewn into the curtains. Ever played with rare-earth magnets? You almost can't pull a couple of them apart.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32065&cat=1,42363,42348

I'd get the 3/8" X .10 . You can also get them from Digikey.com
-Kent
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine has a skinny alum strip with a screw at each end. curtain slides on and a small magnet sewn bottom (corner of ea curtain) to hold when closed,works pretty good. when open a short strip of velcro/one endsewwn on, wrapped around curtain keeps in place.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OBTW---

I did forget to mention I also have a decent set of Wolfsburg / Carat curtains, with all the snaps included, ready to install too---
No sewing required.

This would be the Wham, Bam, Thank you Mam,' installation.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no link---
It's the mystery trick curtain hanging caper.
I've made them for many folks who were curtainless, and didn't want snap in curtains.

They stay tight in the window's, look lile a stock item, are simple to install, and are pretty resonable custom made cutain retainer's at $55.00 for the whole Van.

BTW--the retainer's are for the top and the bottom of the curtain's, and require a hem on the top and the bottom.
The curtains will not blow in the rear seat passenger's face--they stay tight to the inside wall of the Van & the glass.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: interesting... Reply with quote

hi TK...

I am interested on your product...

for the benefit of other samba member... could you please post a link or some pics to see how it works...

thanks
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsburg or Carat curtains are the easiest to install.
They snap in---

Westy curtains will never work as they only have pockets for the hooks, and they require runner's as well as slider's for the hooks to slip into.

Big waste of time trying to use Westfalia curtains.

String hung curtains will look real sloppy, and south of the mason dixon line look--forget the string.

I have curtain mount kits for any GL, Carat, or Wolfsburg if you don't want to use snaps, and are willing to sew up your own curtains with a hem on the top of the curtain.

They will be a permanent mount, and will slide open and closed without the use of a curtain rail, hooks, or slider's.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: