Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westies @ Watkins Glen, NY 2008 (drive your VW on the track)
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Westies @ Watkins Glen, NY 2008 (drive your VW on the track) Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Just a quick update since there was a question about camping reservations and location of the campground for Westies at Watkins 2008.

Images from W@W 2007
http://www.limbobus.org/phpBB4/album_cat.php?cat_id=44

We will return to the Watkins Glen State Park again this year. This is a real nice park with ample facilities for all and great access to the Watkins Glen gorge for a nice leisurely hike.

Watkins Glen State park

This year the Park ranger has agreed to open up one of the normally closed camping loop, since it is the end of the season and keep it reserved for the VW crowd. I have selected the Onondaga Village loop. It is the closest to the gorge, has showers, bathrooms and sites that have a common grassy area.

Since this loop is officially closed for the season, it will not be available for any online reservations. With our agreement, the Park folks will allow us to get one of the available campsite in the Onondaga Loop as we drive up. So NO ONLINE COST OR RESERVATIONS REQUIRED. Drive up to the ranger kiosk by the campgrounds and claim the selected site. I was told that they will have a weekend rate (TBD ~$20?) for us with an additional walkup fee of $2. I was also told that we would be allowed to double up on all sites. There are 49 sites available in this loop, so if we double up that is 98 vans, yeah, in my dreams!

I am thinking of taking site number 170 in this loop. Sites from 168, 170, 172 ,174 and 183 185. 187 share the same flat area “back lot” . We could call this Camp Westy. Lets get these sites first and set up a communal area there.

NOTE:

THERE IS NO ELECTRICITY AVAILABLE at the sites IN THIS LOOP. GO to the Mohawk Village Loop if you need to plug in. You can always join us for the evening festivities.

Also for Saturday night, I have reserved the field house by the baseball field. This has electricity, a fireplace and picnic tables.

It will be a short hike from the Onondaga loop to the field house but this should be a great venue for our pot-luck dinner and door prizes event Saturday night.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions if this is murky and you need further details.

Cheers,
Joel – Westies at Watkins camp counselor

585-690-8145

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prime images from W@W 2007

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Bump

Only a few weeks away from this GREAT annual VW campout, cruise, winery tours, fall foilage viewing, race track driving VW event.

also to note ALL VWS are WELCOME ON THE TRACK during sundays event.

VWBeachBum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i work in Corning NY (but live in PA)...i might be up there that week so maybe i'll stick around that weekend and check it out!

OCOD on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/61422168898/

MudRide Mudcasts:
http://mudrideradio.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcnotes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're coming from Ann Arbor, MI and will meet up at the campground on Friday 10/10.

I haven't been to the Glen since seeing Mario Andrettti at the Glen in '78 his championship year. I have fond remembrances of Gilles Villeneuve being the only driver brave enough to practice in the downpour weekend of the '79 race. His Ferrari had a huge roostertail down the back straight. He was the only driver who really turned a qualifying lap that day. Everyone else tip toed around the track in fear of crashing in the October rain.

Even though I witnessed some of the carnage at The Bog, it was that kind of stupidity (& the lousy weather) that killed the USGP at the Glen,

I have some incriminating pics of a few of my friends at those races. I'll make sure to bring them with me.

See you, there,

Rick, Myrna and Olive.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing you there.

we do get people in from Nova Scotia, Philly, and Chicago
many feel NYS Fingerlakes during Fall harvest (grapes & Wineries) coupled with a VW campout and a run on the racetrack makes such a great weekend..

less then 2weeks togo..
Dan
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONE LAST BUMP, it's just Days away and the forcast is looking VERY NICE and VERY NYS FINGERLAKES FALL

I love driving down thru the Grape & Winery country with a warm breeze and grapes in the air..

See those whom may there.

Dan
Empire VW camping
VW club of Central New York
rcnotes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few questions.

Are campfires permitted and if so, is there wood that can be purchased near the park?

I understand there is a burrito breakfast pot luck? What should we bring?

Is there a pot-luck style common dinner? If so, we plan to bring a beans/rice sausage mix to share.

Packing up today, leaving either tomorrow or Thursday.

Rick
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes campfires are permitted, there is wood to be purchased
there will be a GROUP fire friday & Sat night, wood will be bought in bulk for that.

Sat am is a full moon bus club styled burrito breakfast.. open to everyone

Sat night is a pot luck, in the pavillion and that dish sounds quite nice.

Dan
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick I hope you had a good time, I met your wife & dog a few times, and probably you around the campfire but there was such a good turn out it's tough to meet everybody.
the weather was PERFECT and the mayhem on the racetrack was well VW NUTS
you weren't the farthest but your drive is certainly commendable..
we had a guy all the way from Chicago in a 71 that required some hands on push in town at the grocery.
all in all we had OVER 50 VWs camping and over 40 participated on the racetrack.

Quote:
Lined up and getting ready for our annual Westies at Watkins glen run on the racetrack.
see my gallery for more images
or visit www.Limbobus.org for more images

and I THINK this counts as wilderness, all those VW ANIMALS trying to get either up the steep hills on the racetrak or trying to get around each other. 3 lapps of pure loaded camper family and dogs craziness

and YES that is a kayak ontop of a hightop on a road course racetrack..
at least the bridge/tunnel was high enough..

Stall20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, Oscar, and my girlfriend Danielle made it down late saturday night around 7:00 the ride down was great. weather @ night and during the day was incredible. didnt get to talk with anyone but we had a good time just being away from working. heres a few pics I took.
I havent been down to this event in 3yrs but its deff. a great location and good times. the changing of the leaves around there @ this time of yr is incredible. we spent sunday just driving around enjoying the good weather. I liked this site area much better then the large field. nice individual sites much better.!
Our campsite.

Splitbus.

nice 21 window I saw pass me as I woke up.

My bus @ waterfall. would have been nicer if there was water coming down.

The view outside the bus @ campsite.

Yes there are some sweet trikers around Watkins Glenn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the special bus driver that made it to both Watkins Glenn and the T'fest in the same weekend; Dale Ward.

Who says you can't have similar events on the same weekend a few hundred miles apart...

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Putt Putt Vidoes from 2008 Reply with quote

Link

in Video #2 is the infamous 'orange cone' incident Laughing

Link

Link

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some more VWs on the Watkins Glen Intl racetrack videos.

Link

Link

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: