Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Telefunken
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whizzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Telefunken Reply with quote

Hi!
I have tryed to find prices to Telefunken radios, (mainly ID 54-ID 61.) With no luck, I mean here in samba is one, with almost 2000$ price tag on it. On ebay is none so is that the "correct" way of pricing, or are just someone trying his luck to score big bucks?
It looks that there is not so many on sale at the moment but I have tought that the price would be somewhere near 300-500$. Of course we can speculate...if someone needs it he is going to bye it no matter what the price is. But the "correct" market price is??

If someone can give some direction, thanks.
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Telefunken Reply with quote

The ID54 is going to fetch a slightly higher price than the 61 models. One of the main drivers in price for these models definitely comes from the 356 market, which is considerably more elastic (subject to immediate and dramatic value increases) than the VW market. Next there are just less and less of these radios around or available now while there are just more and more cars being saved, preserved, restored etc.

The other oddball variant in this is that Telefunkens are usually more sought after than the more commonly available Blaupunkt models, its a more unusual radio than the Blaupunkts, so to some folks its just one of those ways folks differentiates their car from another. I'm not familiar with the actual production numbers but from my experience today I estimate seeing about 10 Blaupunkts for every one Telefunken radio.

That said, $1800 for a non-working Telefunken ID54 is definitely a new price point. Prices are going up however like everything else, and its not like there are 3 to pick from, plus that unit looked cosmetically very clean. If you hadn't pointed out the ad though, my prior estimate in value on such a radio would of been around the $1K range, and $1300 or so if it were fully working.

If you are intent on a Telefunken, my suggestion is to place a wanted ad, and or perhaps consider attending the Porsche/VW Lit Show in January I believe in CA, or have someone represent you there to try and locate a working model. I suggest "working" since while radio repair folks work at these $50+/hr rates, I've yet to see any radio repair out of several dozen cost anything less than $450, and usually its considerably more.

Good luck on your search.
vwovalguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 54 and the 61 models but am missing the knobs........any chance of reproduction knobs Gary???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whizzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Helped a lot. It seems that we here in Europe have abit cheaper pricing. So I will buy that piece which have in sight cause it seems to have point to put time and efford/money in to saving and bringing it back to life...

Found thise site, think they could have knobs etc.
http://www.oldtimer-radio.de/
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwovalguy wrote:
I have the 54 and the 61 models but am missing the knobs........any chance of reproduction knobs Gary???

May sound strange but I've yet to come up with a specific 54 or 61 model knob. From all the literature I've seen it appears these knobs mostly either were a dead on match or a very close resemblance to the dash knobs on the particular car the radio was being installed into, ie: in a 356 they had 356 dash knobs, on ovals they had oval dash knobs, etc. The only mentionable difference is that these would of had a side set screw.

I have seen one other style knob used from a Gute Fahrt vintage magazine ad, which closely resembles the standard vintage ivory seat adjust knob, with that embossed knurl around the outside edge. Just can't validate if it was the standard knob that came with the radio originally or not. I would gladly reproduce the original knob if it could be discussed/validated perhaps more here. I have some unknown knob styles which I believe are only Blaupunkt, but if anyone has a known original and we would safely borrow it I'd happily produce an extra set no charge. I wouldn't expect these to fly off the shelf but it would be nice to know there was a source for them when desired, if such a thing existed. Thanks for more input.
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whizzy wrote:
Thanks for the info. Helped a lot. It seems that we here in Europe have abit cheaper pricing. So I will buy that piece which have in sight cause it seems to have point to put time and efford/money in to saving and bringing it back to life...

Found thise site, think they could have knobs etc.
http://www.oldtimer-radio.de/

Here is another great site that I've bought some beautifully restored radios from in the past, including spare parts as well:

http://www.koenigs-klassik.de/
lastchancevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't expect to find a radio in my garage that was worth it's weight in gold, but I did

It's a telefunken id54.. it's in 2 large pieces painted in that "hammered" finish.. has 5 buttons that go LMMMK in the front. there's even the faschia plate that goes over the radio, and another one that says "Porsche" on it. Theres another bit that goes between the faschia plate and the radio that has a small oval speaker. I don't have the two knobs for it but maybe I do somewhere if I can figure out what they look like.

How do I test this thing?

holey crap they want $1800 for a non working one!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brezelwerks wrote:
vwovalguy wrote:

May sound strange but I've yet to come up with a specific 54 or 61 model knob. From all the literature I've seen it appears these knobs mostly either were a dead on match or a very close resemblance to the dash knobs on the particular car the radio was being installed into, ie: in a 356 they had 356 dash knobs, on ovals they had oval dash knobs, etc. The only mentionable difference is that these would of had a side set screw.

I have seen one other style knob used from a Gute Fahrt vintage magazine ad, which closely resembles the standard vintage ivory seat adjust knob, with that embossed knurl around the outside edge. Just can't validate if it was the standard knob that came with the radio originally or not. I would gladly reproduce the original knob if it could be discussed/validated perhaps more here. I have some unknown knob styles which I believe are only Blaupunkt, but if anyone has a known original and we would safely borrow it I'd happily produce an extra set no charge. I wouldn't expect these to fly off the shelf but it would be nice to know there was a source for them when desired, if such a thing existed. Thanks for more input.

Some more info, might help, or not.......

The first pics are from Telefunken sales brochures for the ID54, and it shows the knurled knob as being instaled on a VW.

The next few pics are from Becker which had another style of knob. I have seen these knobs on both Becker and Blaupunkt radios.

The second last pic is an unusual backing knob (for lack of a better word), with 3 sets of dots on the outer rim as there is 3 positions for that switch.

The last pic I found intersting. It tells you to move your VIN plate when installing the power unit in the spare wheel well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adi33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Telefunken Reply with quote

Hello
I have such a radio for sale ...
what would be a reasonable price?

the radio has no power supply
great inside, nothing repaired, original condition, original telefunken lamps

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Telefunken Reply with quote

This very nice looking ID61 was Euro 199
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2330515

The old ad says it's "for restoring" so I assume it needs work.

It's a little bit different radio than your radio.

There are some older ads on the site from 2015-2016, the radios were $450-$500.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: