Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do I NEED another van?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
STEPHENLAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Do I NEED another van? Reply with quote

Ok I have an 85 westy. Love it and it is only used for camping.

I just replaced my 04 Subaru Forester XT with and 08 Mazdaspeed 3 for work. Bad news is I still have the Forester since I love the towing, 4 wheel drive etc..

But If I sold the payed off subie I could pay towards the Mazda -Good

But I need a car for the hard winter days and something to haul stuff including my growing family.

I just found a nice Syncro van. What do you think?
wasserbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I NEED another van? Reply with quote

I think that buying any volkswagen (especially a Vanagon, and ESPECIALLY a syncro) with the intention of somehow saving money or making your life simpler is a poorly thought out plan.
Sheesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree.

Other than gas and oil, these things consume a great deal of money and time.

Well, at least until you have replaced almost every mechanical/rubber part that might wear or rot over the last 20+ years. If you do it all at once, maybe you won't need to spend that money over the next decade.

Our '82 Westy we bought a little under a year ago for $4,500? Now up to $11,000 and counting.....we choose the replace everything method to ensure a good mindset for myself and family.
OxygenDestroyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh wrote:
I'd have to agree.

Other than gas and oil, these things consume a great deal of money and time.

Well, at least until you have replaced almost every mechanical/rubber part that might wear or rot over the last 20+ years. If you do it all at once, maybe you won't need to spend that money over the next decade.

Our '82 Westy we bought a little under a year ago for $4,500? Now up to $11,000 and counting.....we choose the replace everything method to ensure a good mindset for myself and family.

Heh. That sounds like the plan I'm on. But she's running very sweet and looks good to boot. I look at the van as a hobby really - just like owning any vintage car really.
mr_vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should probably all be thinking of owning a vanagon like you think of owning a 20 year old boat. It's nice to have and can be a lot of fun but it shouldn't be the only way to get to work. I've also found a boating idea works well for vanagons. The B.O.A.T. unit as in

Break
Out
Another
Thousand
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can buy a syncro van and 1) not get divorced 2) have the money for it, do it.

It'll only appreciate in value. There's nothing out there really like it.

Except, maybe this:

http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/camper.htm
winkshog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a bunch boo whooers.....

What car at the age needs some work. I know i complan about some of the prices of some things. The 85 7pass is the wife daily driver. i have a total of 2000.00 in to her. and would drive to cal what out ever thinking about it.

if you maintan it it will run

sean
Loghome for sale For those that want to get away from it all....
Sheesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you maintain it, it will run........assuming there are functioning parts to begin with.

The cost of replacing those non-functioning and remaining deteriorating parts (which will be many on all but the top dollar vans out there) is substantial.
OilNBolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make payments or buy parts- either way- nobody rides for free.

Buy the Syncro. It'll keep you from putting miles on the Mazda (isn't that the one Autoweek called the Crazyfast3 ? Good choice.) thus stretching the useful life of that investment.
STEPHENLAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS EVERYONE.

I woke up this am and saw a syncro van on craigslist. It is an 87 original owener used for camping and trips. 137,000 miles etc etc. She is asking 2500.

I just got back from the 78.2 mile one way trip and had a look. First, SUPER nice older woman whos husband passd. The van was in reasonable shape if not a bit dirty as they live on a section of dirt road etc.

The body of the van looks very good - no visible rust at seems etc. The interior good use a bit of cleaning but not otherwise in good shape.

The mechanicals are the downfall. Coolant was brown and the overflow empty but fill full. She pulled it in the garage and it smoked a little when rev'd it up. Engine has not been cleaned up in many a moon.

I am sure it has had no real maintenance in years.

I told her everything I saw and she was very nice again.

In the end I told her it was a 1500 van for me (new engine coolant system etc and 5000) later it would be good to go.

I think I would rather spend 5000 or more and get a van that someone did all that Very Happy

P.S. Yep the Mazda the 263hp turbo version. As fun a car I have had since my 1991 16V GTI.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF u are lucky/able to do ALL your maint/repairs then in my opinion a wbx of choice can be mad e into a very reliable vehicle.I have owned 4 ea wbxs,gave each a thorough check/replace necessary aged rubber ,etc. never drove any less than 2.5 yrs & current one almost 13 yrs it being actually as reliable as any owned. rarely a issue arose that i didnt catch on norm routine maint and didnt hesitate to go anywhere i needed. all were my daily drivers & much more reliable than the other brand-X ones, even new. start with reasonable solid wbx ,jst because it has been "GONE OVER" by previous owner usually dont mean squat. my 3cts.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FORGOT- have never spent over 2500 on any wbx including the purchase price, these hi dollar expenses seem to me to be somewhat of a-drop off wbx,fix & blank,signed check in thr glove compt.
OilNBolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion- no redemption value.

I would rather start with a vehicle that is largely original and do my own work, than rework someone else's handywork. A $2000 syncro with sound sheetmetal is way cheap. You can put $8000 into repairs and have an extremely sound Vanagon for the price of a real nice motorscooter.

Do you do your own work? That will make a big difference to the economics of such a project. A top shelf engine and all of the cooling system plastic and rubber parts, including a radiator, will run less than eight grand.
STEPHENLAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do most of my own work anyway - but not all. I have not done an engine as this would require soon.

I am sure that 10-15 grand later you would have a sound syncro.

I had money in hand but I was not motivated for such big project. I am pretty sure it has had the very minimal done to keep it going. It is like a take EVERYTING out project and start from scratch.

It might be a long winter though... I did leave her with an offer Laughing
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe... its not easy haggling down a nice old lady.

If the body is rust free and the trans/awd are sound AND it has a locking rear diff, then I'd be tempted myself. Shoot I even like the color.
OilNBolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STEPHENLAY wrote:
I do most of my own work anyway - but not all. I have not done an engine as this would require soon....

I don't think I would do an engine overhaul myself, as the guys that do that work professionally aren't asking that much money for their time, and the learning curve could be steep. One redo will easily blow the savings.

Now installing an new engine is a different matter.
OxygenDestroyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know folks who'd spend $2500 on a syncro just for a donor. That's dirt cheap around here.
STEPHENLAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe dirt cheap but I am not sure a good buy nonetheless.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: