Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Always an adventure
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
L378
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Always an adventure Reply with quote

The goal for the 2011 driving season was to get the odometer to hit 59,000 on the old 36 (a little over 900 miles for the season). It was sitting at 58,991. Nice day, so I had to go for a New Year's day drive. Went to Lowe's & then decided to hit the Wal-Mart. Pulling into Wal-Mart I noticed some dark nasties had come up. I'd been out less than 30 minutes and spent less than 5 in Wal-Mart. Coming out half way across the lot the drops began to fall.

I've owned my oval for almost a decade and I've been caught in 2 rain bursts previously and the last one was probably 2 or 3 years ago, so I know it'll take a bit for the wipers to get going & it's not like they're modern, but holy cow they took forever. Nothing like driving 2 miles @ 35 mph with no wipers in a nice steady rain. By the time the wipers were working the rain had stopped. It felt like forever & thought for sure they weren't going to work at all. Pulled into the garage with the odometer sitting at 59,001. Driving goal met with a little drama thrown in. Happy new year everybody & hope 2012 makes for good driving for all.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd fix those wipers because thats just not normal.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kinda funny. I'm just going to put Rain-x on my windshield.
Good stuff about the mileage goal met.

I bet your wiper switch has corrosion build up?

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you located? I'm in Catonsville.

Because it was such a nice day we rolled the 55 out to go for a drive yesterday as well.

As soon as I had all the tires aired up and the oil checked, the rain started.

We headed off anyway in the direction of the sun hoping it would only spit for a while.

After a few hours, it had dried off and the sun was starting to go down. It was just starting to get a little chilly in the car so we headed towards home. (new heater cable is not yet installed, so we couldn't turn the stinker - I mean heater on)

Just a few miles from home and I said to the wife I was happy we were going to be able to put the car away dry after being out in the wet.

That didn't last and it went back in the box wet. But it was nice to have it out.

Our wipers aren't working either! But I do have a bottle of rainex in the door pocket!
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a fair weather Maryland cruise.
I'm in once I wrap up a few things.

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
We need a fair weather Maryland cruise.
I'm in once I wrap up a few things.

I'm in as long as the calander is clear.
Cliff@BrownBags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just started a group on facebook for maryland people. that way we can all get together and cruise and meet up ect
please add it and share it.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/285343811526790/
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff this is great I just requested to join the group.
Looking forward to any cruises to local shows or just putting on some miles. Cool

L378
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally forgot about this post & only stumbled on it looking for another. I'm up in Frederick. Schwing has mentioned a cruise. We should look into it when Schwing has his ride on the road. As for the wipers, probably corrosion, but I've only used 3 or 4 times in 10 years. I guess I should get some rain X. Mileage into the 2012 season which officially started on Thursday = 7!
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L378 wrote:
I totally forgot about this post & only stumbled on it looking for another. I'm up in Frederick. Schwing has mentioned a cruise. We should look into it when Schwing has his ride on the road. As for the wipers, probably corrosion, but I've only used 3 or 4 times in 10 years. I guess I should get some rain X. Mileage into the 2012 season which officially started on Thursday = 7!

I think we are tied! I only left the neighborhood once. I still need to assemble my doors and the brakes still need to seat in some more and get adjusted again. Soon enough I'll be ready to come over the bridge to the "west" side. Laughing

L378
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure, driving over the bay bridge with iffy breaks? That would be an adventure. Driving goal for this year - have the odometer hit 60,000. Thursday is supposed to hit 68 F in Frederick, I think I may kill some time and check out my wipers - after a jaunt.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my oval I just had to use electro-clean on the fuse/fusebox, because of corrotion. Worked then like a dream ...

A quite slow one.

Smile

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
L378
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kjell,

I'll have to look through things a bit. It's just the wipers are used so infrequently that I never really think about them. It's kind of like my head lamps (which do work), I think I've used them about 3 or 4 times in 10 years. I did use them late in December and I know I had to have gotten some very strange looks from people as I drove through town with my dim 6 volt system. Given all of the illumination from street lights, I don't know if my lights provided any additional benefit. Ah, 6 volts gotta love it. Have a friend who more than once said that if it were his car, the first thing he'd do is switch to 12 volt.
L378
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to look at the wipers. First wash, clean the mats, and vacuum. Finish up a few minutes before 4PM & decide to go for a quick spin and then look at the wipers. I head through town and at the bottom of a small hill at the end of my block I realize I have no power. Luckily no other traffic and I have the light so I coast around the corner & there's space for me when I hear a modest bang, almost a poof. So I'm freaking out. Stop the car, pull the e-brake and I'm thinking did the engine decide to let go? I smell a wiff of something burning. I pop the decklid, no fire, no smoke. I get in the car and now I realize it's electrical smoke/burning I smell. I did clean around the wiring up front so pop the hood release and look - no smoke, no smell, so back around to the back of the car. All this with early drive time traffic blasting by me. I'm standing behind the bug and now something is trickling from under the car, I touch it, not oil, smell it not gas, so I look under the car and there's water pouring from the middle of the car. Lift the rear seat and sure enough the top of the battery is gone. Fortunately, at the other end of the block is a battery warehouse, so run to the house, grab my toolbox and $79 later have a new battery. All I can think of is I moved the lug wrench when vacuuming and must have nudged the battery in the process and hitting a rough spot of road was enough. What an afternoon.
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
That's kinda funny. I'm just going to put Rain-x on my windshield.

been there done that. Raln X ls great except ln the clty. great on the freeway.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: