Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement for air intake boot
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Replacement for air intake boot Reply with quote

Driving the other day in my 84 1.9 liter, and notice a high idle; about 1200 RPM. I removed the air cleaner box and air intake boot, and notice some small hairline cracks. This is the second air intake boot I've installed. It seems that the boot never does quite fit perfectly to the mass air flow flapper (wrong description) in front of the air filter. Right now I have a dab of silicone on the crack to seal it, and the idle is fine now.

Is there a "kit" anyone has installed that eliminates the stock air filter box? I've seen kits at the PEP BOYS parts stores that have an angled chrome tube and a cone type air cleaner. It would seem I should be able to get a straight boot from the throttle body to the air flow box, then to a cone type filter (like a K&N). Installing the crankcase breather tube would be easy enought to plumb in.

Anyone done something like this? Those intake boots for the 1.9 are getting costly.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Good question... Reply with quote

That's a good question, Bucko, and I hope someone can answer it in the spirit in which you're asking it. I used self-adhering rubber tape to seal up mine. I might try J.B. Weld, too. There are a LOT of plastic parts (such as a certain firewall fitting) that I'd love to see replaced with metal. I think we had a pretty good lead for that one, actually.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 problems here. The plastic box helps keep the air cool. More o2. So putting in a metal one can hurt if you are in warm climates. Also the box is on the motor and if it was metal would create a ton of heat. Less O2. Same with a cone folter. You are sucking in hot engine heat. Not good unless its 20 deg F outside. I agree there is room for improvement here though. Just not much.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyervw wrote:
2 problems here. The plastic box helps keep the air cool. More o2. So putting in a metal one can hurt if you are in warm climates. Also the box is on the motor and if it was metal would create a ton of heat. Less O2. Same with a cone folter. You are sucking in hot engine heat. Not good unless its 20 deg F outside. I agree there is room for improvement here though. Just not much.

I would plum the cone filter to the same outlet as the original snorkle; passenger side fender area. I guess I will start my trek on finding some flexable couplers that will fit over the throttle body opening and the mass air flow unit. Once I have these, I can create a tube of sorts that will route along the passenger side (same as stock) and then elbow to the passenger fender to get the somewhat cooler air intake.

Off I go....

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be good. Just keep the air cool and you will be alright.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: